Cost of feather shuttles

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Tomsk, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Tomsk

Tomsk Regular Member

Our league is thinking of making a switch from plastic shuttles to feathers.

My club will be doing it's own trial next month to try and assess how many shuttles we might use during the year.

I'd like some help from all the club members out there.
    What I'd like to know is the following information.

For a typical club night
    1. Number of members attending
    2. Number of courts used
    3. Start and finish times
    4. Number of NEW shuttles used (ie brand new fresh out of tube, plucked off the goose ;) )
    5. Number of shuttles that can NOT be used again (eg for the next club night)
    (for q4 & q5 please state if you're counting individual shuttles or 'dozens') I'm thinking that 'used' shuttles will be OK for warming up prior to play.

I don't need to know which shuttles you're using - I'll assume that you're using club/tournament standard and not ultra cheap or pro grade.

Thanks.

2. PhoenixMateria

PhoenixMateria Regular Member

Well, it really depends of the number of courts, number of players, and level of play. For example, while me and the regulars at my level play, we use about 1.5 shuttles per game (more than one per set). Some of the higher level players, however, seem to switch every three minutes. Our shuttles are in the same condition, but can see a difference in their play when a feather is bent.

But they buy their own shuttles and they're used to spending that much on them. They would use less if they were someone else's.

All I can say is that about one-third of the shuttles used are more or less reusable at the end of the session.

3. viver

viver Regular Member

Independent of how many courts or players per night, one thing you might want to limit is the number of shuttles per game. In the club where I play, it limits 1 new shuttle per game and if damaged can request a 'second' shuttle - 'second' shuttles are used in a previous game and not damaged. The ones not so suitable for games will be used for warmups.

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    There are various qualities of feather shuttles, which come in various forms:
    1. The best. These are usually the better goose feathers and natural cork.
    2. 2nd Grade. Probably less good goose feathers with a combination of natural and plastic cork.
    3. 3rd Grade. These come in duck feathers with plastic cork.
    4. Training & Practice Grade. These are poor duck feathers and poor plastic cork.
    Most brands, even the expensive ones, come in various grades with varying prices.

5. Tomsk

Tomsk Regular Member

I do know about the various types and grades of shuttles which is why I said:

It is pointless for me to ask for the actual $$$ cost of specific brands of shuttles because this is an international forum and not all shuttles are available in all countries and prices vary across the world.

I know I may be ranting a bit but I'm annoyed with the general ignorance of people on the internet who don't seem to read and think before they type.

This thread (as others' I have seen on the internet) will probably go off at tangent to it's original subject and people will accuse me of being rude to those who are offering advice. But I don't think I'm being anymore rude than those who post a reply to thread topic without bothering to read the first post.

Rant over

#5 Tomsk, Jul 11, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2005
  6. J_M_V

J_M_V Regular Member

Sales
    I'm personally just participating to courses, but of course can calculate on how many shuttles / tubes we use per 1,5 hour session. Background info:

1. Usually 15 - 18 members, everybody knows quite well how to hit
    2. 5 courts in use (mostly training, so 4 per court = no waiting time)
    3. 1,5 hour session
    4. We've used RSL practice (poor quality), Sosan purple (decent quality) and Fly first grade (good quality), and my experience is the following:

A) with RSL practice we're using about 6 shuttles per pair per hour -> with about 15 players this is 6 tubes in 1,5 hours (+-1 tube)

B) with Sosan purple & Fly we're using about 4 shuttles per pair per hour -> with about 15 players this is 4 tubes in 1,5 hours (+-1 tube)

With Black Sosan this amount probably goes down to 3 shuttles per pair per hour (we sometimes have the priviledge of using these).

And finally number 5. We usually play the shuttles until they are totally unplayable! This means minimum two or more feathers badly bent or broken.

#6 J_M_V, Jul 11, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2005
  7. MING PARIS

MING PARIS Regular Member

restaurant owner
    bonjour

if you have friends in Hong Kong at emmy you can buy 50 RSL tourney no I
    for 85 HKg dollar each so 8 euros ,they pretty good if you know how to heat you can make 2 set in doubble!!!!MING

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I used to get the RSL Tourney No.1 for only HK$50. This price was based on hugh quantities. The quality has since got worse so I don't use it anymore.

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

1. 34
    2. 6
    3. 6.30pm to 9.30pm
    4. 60 shuttles
    5. zero shuttles. All used shuttles taken away by players. Only new shuttles used for warming up.

10. MING PARIS

restaurant owner
    hello

taneepak ,what is your new label of shuttle and where did you get RSL ,by the way did you get some HKg shop internet "site" MING:)

11. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    Hi Tomsk - i have extensive experience here, i've played at 4 different clubs that all use feather shuttles.

my experience tells me that the number of courts * hours is the important factor. the number of people doesn't make a difference - because at the end of the day 32 people on 4 courts can't utilise the courts any more than 16 people on 4 courts.

my experience shows that for a session from 7.30 - 10 on 4 courts you will use about 3 doz. feather shuttles. we use the Yonex AS30's. obviously you don't need a brand new shuttle if the one from the last game is in reasonable state. and also if you vet your shuttles a the end of the night you can usually find a few decent ones to start the next night with,

hope this helps.

Neil

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

My old club used to source RSL shuttles from Inskysport. The club used to pay HK$48 to HK$50 for RSL tourney 1 but quality was not consistent. I now use a wide range of shuttles from cheapy duck feathers to very good goose feathers.

13. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

but 8 people on 4 courts playing singles might use less shuttles than 16 people on 4 courts playing doubles.
    I think singles is kinder to shuttles than doubles.

14. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    i think it would be marginal.

if cost is the issue, that i would guess that it would be preferable to reduce to only two courts. and i bet 4 courts of singles would use more shuttle that 2 courts of doubles..

15. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    shuttlecocks

Hi Tomsk,
    My group 8 to 10 and sometimes 15 persons used to play doubles. Played on one court and sometimes two if more members are attending. Shuttlecocks used are goose feature, brand:protech Championship and Masterpiece. We did tried RSL Tourney 1, RCL, Sealion C1101,etc. So far Protech Championship is pretty good. Can last for one and half game per shuttle. Shuttle's speed is 77. Ambient temperature of hall is around 29 to 30 degree celsius. We used to play with old shuttlecock first before the start of the match.
    It is wonderful feeling to play with goose feature shuttlecocks than nylon type. Cost will be one of the factor when buying these item. I used to get these birdie from West Malaysia(Kuala Lumpur) at RM$39/- per dozen for Protech Championship. Furthermore, the "po" sound created when u hit the shuttle with correct technique is beautiful and pleasant to be heard. Well, try it and comments,please.
    Lee

16. newbie_me

newbie_me Regular Member

gosh! where in this world you can buy an RSL tourney 1 for 50 hkg dollars?????you might be purchasing a counterfeit RSL shuttles that's why the quality is poor....peace bro.:)

17. MING PARIS

restaurant owner
    maybe some fake!!!

because I bought two time IOO tubes of rsl Tourney noI for 80HKg dollar each,
    so at 50 maybe some fake !!!!!!MING

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

No, not fakes. As a matter of fact we used to pay HK$48 for the RSL Tourney 1. The quantities were about a 1,000 tubes a year. Sometimes I even got the RSL Classic, a better grade than the Tourney 1, for only a few dollars (HK$2) more. You got yours probably from a retailer or store. I got mine from a wholesaler, who used to sell to retailers, stores, and exports.
    My requirements are modest now, only about 3 tubes a week. But I still get shuttles very much cheaper than what you think is possible, on condition that my shuttles do not fall into other peoples' hands.
    Almost all shuttles that pass through Hong Kong come from factories in China. Sometimes the factories cheat by mixing some off-spec shuttles with the good ones. RSL Tourney and many other brands were similarly affected. Of course if you have a proper qc check you can return such off-spec shuttles to them and they will make good. Right now I have some tubes that are off-spec (not RSL but another brand) that will be returned. But I will keep a few tubes because evn if they are off-spec they are still playable and still very cheap.

19. newbie_me

newbie_me Regular Member

IMHO, you can not buy RSL classic tourney for 50 hkg dollars a tube. Ive been in China for two years, I already befriended suppliers of RSL badminton equipments here but still I can't get classic tourney for 80 yuan a tube. The least Price I can get is only 85 yuan because they get it from the manufacturer at 75 yuan and that's far higher than 50 hkg dollars..It's unbelievable....sorry to say that...peace bro.

20. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Maybe one can get for RSL Classic Tourney for HKD 50 bucks many years ago.

FYI, I got the same shuttles for HKD85 (retail) in 2002.

#20 Pete LSD, Oct 17, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2005