Malaysian Open brings back the crowd

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2005 / Malaysia Open 2005' started by ants, Jul 11, 2005.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TheStar
    PETALING JAYA: The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) are pleased with the spectator turnout for the just concluded Malaysian Open at the Kuala Lumpur Badminton Stadium.

Tickets were sold out from the quarter-final stage.

The KL Badminton Association secretary, Mohd Abdullah, said: “We put up 3,000 tickets for the quarter-finals. The response was overwhelming and we had to put up about 1,000 more tickets. All the tickets were snapped up. It was the same for the semi-finals.”

“On the final day, we sold 3,500 tickets. This does not include the 1,400 pass holders, who included players, officials, media and the guests for all six days.”

Malaysia had two quarter-finalists for the men's singles – Lee Chong Wei and Mohd Hafiz Hashim. Also in the fray were three doubles pairs – Chan Chong Ming-Koo Kien Keat, Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock and Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty.

Only Chong Wei advanced to the semi-finals and went on to win the title.

The BAM secretary, P. Ganga Rao, said that it had been quite some time that a tournament here had attracted a capcity crowd.

“Recent development in badminton here has certainly generated the interest back in the country,” he said.

“Badminton is one of the eight core sports funded by the government. The good showing by our players has also got the fans all excited again. We are happy with this.”

The tickets were priced at RM10 (quarter-finals), RM15 (semi-finals) and RM20 (final).

2. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I was thinking of going back to KL to watch the game in the weekend. Luckily, I did not. It certainly looked bursting to the seams when I saw the crowd on tv. Although there were a few empty VIP seats (as usual :( )

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I went last year and enjoyed myself.

If I had gone last week, I'll be disappointed for there won't be any tickets left. Too tired after the many days I spent at the Spore Open!

I think ants has missed the great show at the Msian Open for he appears to be in Manila instead. :cool:

4. ants

ants Regular Member

:( yeah.. i missed all the Major Open.. anyway i have to settle for the Asia Vs Europe instead. Will be attending the 3 days event. Hopefully i can get into the players lounge later.

5. khwong

khwong Regular Member

Self Employed
    will be watching the MVP cup live tonight on astro!:)

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    They must have had a lot of guests...1400 is a lot notwithstanding all the other people needed for the tournament.

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I think the arrangement in Malaysia is unique. The BAM, I think, gets lots of corporate sponsors on an on going basis. For that, they (the sponsors) get lots of reserved seats. I believe Malayan Banking is one of the big boys and they get lots of reserved seats, which cannot be sold even if not used. I may be wrong.

8. ants

ants Regular Member

I hope next time the tournament will be upgraded to a 5 or even a 6 star event. Taneepak , you are right. The seats allocated for the Malayan Banking can't be sold even if the seats are not occupied. But most of the time there are pll taking up the seats.

9. Mt. Apo

Mt. Apo Regular Member

Consultant
    MVP Cup

Anybody from Indonesia can tell what channel in Indovision cable the MVP Cup in Manila will be aired?

10. ants

ants Regular Member

I think you posted in the wrong thread.

11. Volant

Volant Regular Member

Never seen anything like it

The quarter-finals (on Friday) were by far the busiest night. People sitting in the stairs everywhere, hardly any space to stand up. Totally crazy.

Hundreds of people were locked out the stadium. I remember seeing the guards holding on to the grilled fence and only letting in pass holders.

But what I'll never forget is seeing guys illegally climb the stairs (it's possible from the outside) to get in. I was coming back from the press room to go to court level when I saw this. Unfortunately, my camera was out of order for that night only. It would have made a great picture.

Yves