community center drop ins

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by QQ123, Jul 11, 2005.

1. QQ123

QQ123 New Member

hi. i'm new to the sport badminton and i want to start dropping in at local community center. i know renfrew community center has youth badminton over the summer, but how does it work? i've never been to any drop ins before and i don't have a partner to play with. Do i play with other people who don't have a partner there or do i have to find a partner first? and if i play with other people, will there be people who are at the similar beginner level as me? or is youth badminton at renfrew or other community centre drop ins only for more competitive players ? basicly, how does the whole thing work ?? :p

2. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Welcome to BadmintonForum :D

Renfrew has a sign-up blackboard. The organizers will draw squares on the board and it's first-come, first serve to sign up in the squares. Four players complete the square and play on the next available court.

When you finish, you sign up again.

You MUST practise have a thick-skin, as the players there are very clique-ish, and will by-pass your square if they think you're "not good enough," or "too good" for them.

There are beginners there, and it's very easy to make friends with them. Smile and ask to join and sign-up together.

Have fun!

By the way, how are you getting around? Drive, or bus? Depending on your mode of transport, there are various places around the lower mainland, Burnaby, Surrey, Richmond etc. limited by how you get there and the playing hours at the community centres.

-dave

3. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    daytime dropin(for adults) at cambie's always good.
    its avaible monday to friday 11:45-2:30 for....iuno wut the price is cause i'm only 14 XD. way it works is that theres a signup sheet dat u just write ur name on.
    the people there r really friendly *according to the people i know and the community centre desk. i used to watch every day during lunch hour at skool too XD* regardless of skill level.
    u can go with or without a partner but the odds that u'll play on the same court/same time is pretty unlikely unless u ask them outside of the signup sheet to play, if u know wut i mean.

then theres youth dropin from 2:45-4:15 right after that for 2 dollars.
    *edit*
    u should bring ur own partner to youth dropin if u ever plan to go, dont think u will though XD. neways bring ur own partner cause its usually very empty although a good deal. but den me and my friends always steal one court to ourselves and shoot other people that try to go on there XD jkjk.

4. allensia

allensia Regular Member

looking for a place and group mate to play with

hi,

have read your post reply and i'm interested to join the drop in for adults, can i have the telephone nos of cambie's community center or the exact address. actually i'm very new to this place (richmond) am not familiar of everything yet.
    but i'am interested to play badmiton, since in manila i have been playing most of the times.
    if in case, can i simply drop by and play with people around there. how will i approach them to play with me.
    hope to hear from you soon
    or you can email me at allensia@gmail.com

thanks

5. wing-omega5-0

Student(uni)
    i'm not the person to be asking this stuff i'm only 14 lol so i dont play at the adults dropin *yet :p. the lady at the front counters usually very nice. i usually get there on mon/wed/fri at 2 to watch the last half hour of the dropin b4 youth starts.

*directly off the cambie SCHOOL website*
    4111 Jacombs Road
    Richmond, B.C. V6V 1N7
    Tel: (604) 233-8399
    Fax: (604) 278-2609

thats the address and phone number of the COMMUNITY CENTRE. cambie school and cambie community centre are the same building. the school is the half with the HUGE parking lot. the community centre is the half with the semi-big parking lot and a big batch of trees(kinda like a mini-mini-forest). i guess u could just sign urself up for games on the signup sheet. its the piece of paper that half the population will be crowding around. i think it was mentioned before that u should get there early to signup usually around 11? feel free to keep asking questions that i hope i can answer haha.

6. allensia

allensia Regular Member

hi

sorry of that:eek: , but thanks a lot for the info

7. coach-richard

coach-richard Regular Member

Dropping in at Trout lake Community Center for Badminton

At Trout Lake Community Center in Vancouver, it offers many form of drop in and it is cheap and affordable a very good way to get to play with other people. The Community also offer badminton group lessons program for adult for all levels and you can visit http://www.wishtrade.com/coaching/ for more information.

good luck,

8. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    Although i haven't played there since march (working in toronto now), I can vouch for wing omega that the people are friendly. =) the drop in fee was $5 to play or you can buy a $40 badminton voucher that entitles you to 12 sessions...(save money!!). It's a worthwhile purchase.. I still have my card and will probably use it whenever i come back to visit family.

I'm a CBC and my chinese is horrible and everyone still made me feel welcome. The skill ranges from some beginner, large group of intermediates and a few advanced players.

*As a warning* Drop in spots can fill up pretty quickly on certain days (i think they only allow up to 26-28 ppl to drop in). To pretty much guarantee a spot you need to get there around 11:00am. If you come in at 11:45, odds are you won't get in.

Thursdays is usually the slow day. Every other day gets pretty busy and full.
    All in all, great social atmosphere and a friendly environment.

oh...one more thing....i was fortunate to witness and lucky to see the infamous badrad play there (i think he usually plays at VRC).

Cheers.

9. wing-omega5-0

Student(uni)
    ok i guess i know why u've disappeared from vancouver now haha. i saw badrad play at cambie ONCE and just once.

10. DemonsBlood

DemonsBlood Regular Member

sup wing omega XD u know who i am! oh and just a reminder about the adult drop in. u cant book it u hafta go there in the morning and sign up