Badminton in SEA games

Discussion in '2005 South East Asian Games - Badminton' started by Rascak_23, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Rascak_23

Rascak_23 Regular Member

medical student
    Im quite excited about having badminton in the sea games.....The last time we over threw the Singaporeans...i hope this time we can kick the thais out of the race......hehehehehe

2. shlikjohn

shlikjohn Regular Member

IT Consultant
    Not to disappoint every Filipinos out here including me, but our players are not yet in the level of other countries at the moment that includes Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, etc...

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    The Thais improved alot recently. They have upgraded their training system. I think the Philippinos still have alot do to. But i'm sure in the next 5 years with the proper trainning and a good pool of players. Philippines will be in the whos whos of badminton.

4. Rascak_23

Rascak_23 Regular Member

medical student
    I think the over all ranking in badminton SEA would be Indonesia, followed by Malaysia, then Thailand, The PHILIPPINES, Singapore....Vietnam....

Singapore's Susilo is one great player but thats only one guy, Im talking about the whole team here....The Asunscions, who got a bronze last SEA games really pulled us off ahead of the Singaporeans...We also beated Singapore's mens doubles in the last SEA games.

Well, im just hoping we could still beat them...i mean, we really have great players here! I can feel it through my veins. Hahahhah

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I don't know how long you've been into badminton and if you're relative new, I can't blame you for being excited about your countrymen and wanting them to do well.

In the world of badminton, the Philippines still has a long way to go. The present boom and popularity of badminton there will help speed up the pace no doubt. But when it comes to quality, there is no short-cut in the sense that you need committed players and offcials, including first-class coaches, and good facilities and support from the authorities. In Southeast Asia, where you have many of the world's best players from Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand, it is difficult to win badminton medals at the SEA Games from these players.

At the last SEA Games 2003 in Vietnam, Singapore's badminto performance is as follows:

Gold: Women's Team
    Bronze: MS (Ronald Susilo), WS (Jiang Yanmei and Li Li), WD (Jiang & Xiao Luxi) and Men's Team.

Tell me what was Philippines' performance then? Did they beat us and the Thais?

This year's SEA Games will be in Manila, your home country. Care to make a prediction on your badminton team (both men and women)? :)

6. shlikjohn

shlikjohn Regular Member

IT Consultant
    I really disagree with you there.

Believe me, Philippines is not yet in the top 5.

7. kevin&sandy

kevin&sandy Regular Member

based on present performance, i would put Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand on the same platform. this followed by Singapore. i think the Phillipines still has a long way to go and i would be very happy to see a Phillipino to challenge the elites in the future.

8. shlikjohn

shlikjohn Regular Member

IT Consultant
    I totally agree with you 100% !

9. jkad65

jkad65 Regular Member

I'm just curious how many of the Singaporeans mentioned are natural born Singaporeans and not "imported" from Indonesia or China?

10. jkad65

jkad65 Regular Member

I'd rank them..

1. Indonesia
    2. Malaysia
    3. Thailand
    4. Singapore
    5. Philippines

Singapore has the edge over the Philippines in terms of quantity of really good players. Hopefully our youngsters will get better and better.

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    This question of foreign talent" has been discussed many times in this Forum and particular mention has been made in Singapore's case. If you care to search you'll find the answers.

It is futile to continue asking the same or related questions as it is unhelpful. The country's sports leadership will have to decided how best to develop the various games and bring it up to world standards. Taking a page from the experience of others may help one to do better.

So long as you play by the rules you are at liberty to chart out your programmes to achieve certain results. Remember you may have the best local talent but not having the will, commitment, resources, etc. to nurture and develop it will be useless in the end! ;)

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    You have a very tough contender in Vietnam! :D

13. jkad65

jkad65 Regular Member

I don't necessarily disagree with "naturalizing" foreign talent since everyone else is doing it. The joke in the stands at the MVP cup is that its not Asia vs Europe but Asia vs Asia. One of the reasons Nelson Asuncion (father of Kennie and Kennevic) was eased out as Philippine national coach was because he was a main proponent of naturalizing the Indonesian and Chinese trainers to represent the Philippines in competition.

14. Rascak_23

Rascak_23 Regular Member

medical student
    Badminton is indeed the game to watch this coming SEA games.......Im looking more particularly between the Philippines, Singapore and Vietnam...To whom will the fourth place be, well just have to see......hehehhehe

15. .:Luân Kid:.

.:Luân Kid:. Regular Member

;) Nguyen tien Minh in my country is a good racket,in Phi 2005, he will wins in all match !!!

16. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad

I've seen him play. He can be a very good contender for the Sea Games.

17. .:Luân Kid:.

.:Luân Kid:. Regular Member

Of Course !!! Ntm Is Brother's Friend:d !!!
    But I Like Taufik , He Is No'1

18. juris

juris Regular Member

night stalker
    Hey guys, let us just all enjoy the games. No bashing of opponents in this forum, specially the players' natioinalities. We are all related for the love of the sport.

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes NTM is a good player and I'm glad you said Taufik is No. 1 because there is no way NTM can beat Taufik in the SEA Games, not unless Taufik is injured and has to give up.

NTM will also find it hard to overcome many of Malaysia's top players like Chong Wei, Hafiz and Choong Hann. So NTM will not be able to win every match if he is unlucky enough to meet these players and even Thailand's Boonsak! I think NTM has lost once to our own player, Kendrick Lee. :p

20. restricted_

restricted_ Regular Member

i would hope ronald to take down sea games tough. hahas