MP99 3U and max string tension

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Russki Bear, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Russki Bear

Russki Bear Regular Member

IT
    OK, this may have been specifically asked before, but I have been reading the forums for a few weeks now and I haven't seen it definitively answered.

I have an MP99 3U racquet and I wanted to re-string it as the pre-strung BG65s were feeling a bit too slack. A friendly bloke at the local suggested they might be too slack for me as a player - causing more soreness in the arm, as he and I had noticed I was definitely having to hit harder. He suggested 22-24lbs, as he liked it at that tension, although we both know he is a better player than I so it may be that it's too high.

The racquet says 20lbs is the top rating, but very very few of the posters here use a 20lb rating, I commonly see 22-28 on all sorts of racquets posted here. So what is the deal? You obviously risk more with higher tensions, but I have seen people say Yonex ratings are very conservative.

Could someone kindly fill me in on why Yonex has such a low rating compared with the tensions people actually seem to like playing with, or point me in the right direction to find out, it would be much obliged.

I got a free set of BG65Ti strings, so I figure I could afford a test at 24lbs initial tension expectng them to drop somewhat. However if I get the impression this is a bad idea, I'll cut them before use.

Thanks guys!

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  3. Russki Bear

Russki Bear Regular Member

IT
    Ah, thanks. I have only been reading this equipment forum heavily. There is so much to digest! Sorry for the excess post.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    no problem. welcome to BC.