Archer returns

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Mag, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I was happy to see that Simon Archer is making a comeback after his knee surgery. His focus is now on a mixed doubles gold in Athens 2004... Anyway, he's split with his former men's doubles partner Nathan Robertson, and this is what he said about that:

**As for the men's doubles he would not be drawn on the reasons for splitting with Robertson, other than to say: "I haven't spoken to him for eight months. I was not prepared to play with him again. I want to enjoy my men's doubles. That's all I want to say on that.**

Whoa... sounds almost hateful! I wonder what on earth might have happened? Does anyone know what's behind this?

2. ligak

ligak Guest

if we look at their games, nathan is the weak link. Archer is a quality double player while nathan from my observation don't have the quality. he make a lot of unforced error, his defence is weak, and he's shuttle placing is predictable. For his future, Archer did the right thing. He should find a new partner.

3. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I agree that there were problems on court, but I sensed some serious off-court animosity between them... oh well, I'm such a sucker for gossip!

4. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    By the sound of it they probably never get on.Archer probably wants something a bit different from the relationship.

I played against Archer a few times a a Junior, and I must say back then he had a tendency to pick partners who he would carry a bit. (sorry if that's you).

5. Josh

Josh Guest

Mag, did you get this info from World Badminton Online?? Because that is where I got it. I signed up for the newsletter. I'm glad to know that he's back because he's my favourite badminton player!! hehe

6. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I suspect Simon Archer isn't the easy-going guy he has made us think he is. I watched the 2001 All England mixed semi with Archer/Emms vs Søgaard/Olsen, and OK, Gail Emms was really out of it in that match, but Simon Archer made no attempts to hide his dismay with her... which of course only made her even more nervous, which made her play even worse, which made him even more openly annoyed... The man has been playing doubles and mixed doubles for all his life. He should know better than to blame his partner! Bad court behaviour might work in singles, but definitely not in doubles.

Admittedly, time is running out for Simon. He really wants to bag a mixed doubles gold in Athens, so I guess he just can't afford to waste time on "educating" a new partner.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It's still two years away from Athens.

Have to nod my head to you. Simon Archer wants to win so terribly much, it can have an adverse affect on the partnership.

Gail Emms and Nathan Robertson won the Indonesian Open with a controlled attitude.

8. May

May Guest

Controlling computers

if i had better control over mine, as well as my v60, i wldnt haf so many problems to contend wif. WILL SOMEONE PLS GIF ME KWUN'S, aDEL'S, cOOLER'S AS WELL AS WINS GAN'S HOTMAIL ADDY???

9. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Oh no - definitely not easy going on court. Quality player though.

re: blaming the partner, old habits die hard!

10. Persius

Persius Guest

Easy way out - to blame one's partner. In every way!

11. johnboy

johnboy Guest

I think there are a number of reasons for this break up. Clearly there is some sort of personal problem between the two but perhaps this has come about by their on court relationship. The two players seem to be of totally different personalities,on court Simon seems totally focused on the game in hand with an overriding determination to win every point, Nathan however gives the impression that he goes on 'walkabout' for periods of the game, a patch of brilliant strokeplay and anticipation is usually followed by a period in which he seems uninterested.

In many repspects I feel that Simon is suffering from his past reputation when in the England squad he was known as Mr Arrogant, those of us who know him now however know that is no longer accurate. You only have to witness the amount of effort he puts in when helping at exhibition matches and at junior clubs to see how he has changed. Arrogance has long past been replaced by a determination to be the best at his career from which English badminton can only benifit.

Nathan is undoubtedly a brilliant player, personally I feel that when he applies himself he is a better mixed doubles player than Simon, however he seems unable to hold that level of determination and concentration for a whole game. Give him his due though the periods of 'walkabout' are getting shorter and the periods of concentration longer, I get the feeling that this year will be his turning point.

Whilst I'm hear was anybody else surprised that Simao chose Graham Hurrel as his new partner and not Ian Sullivan or Clarkie.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Was it Simon choosing the partner or the other options not wanting to play with him?

Nathan's distractions may prove to be less of a burden under 5 x 7