right hand tendons

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by smash_master, Jul 14, 2005.

1. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    Alright so about 4-5 weeks ago when i was playing with some friends i felt a pain in my hand but didn't make much of it, i went to play once more and it still hurt so i went to see a doctor. My doctor who plays badminton and who ive played against told me that i was playing to hard like in to much smashing, backhand smashing etc. He said that i had damaged the tendons in my hand (im right handed) and told me to take 2 weeks off and well i have not played for 2 weeks well more than 2 weeks actually. He said that after the 2 weeks i will be able to play again and to just take it easy well i have not played yet and i was just wondering if anybody has had the same injury, and how long they took off from playing and when they went back if it hurt. Right now i am a little nervous about going to play again, im just worried that its going to hurt and well then im screwed. Just wondering cause i have some stuff comming up and have to get in some practice. I searched but did not find anything about this before but if there is sorry for that and if you can direct me to it that would be great.

2. loverush

loverush Regular Member

If your worried, talk to your doctor again. Since your in canada, that shouodn't cost you anything. We have no way of telling whcih tendons are hurting and how badly you may have injured it.
    But if I were you, I'd go really easy for first couple days back into badminton.

3. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

i know a guy who had problems with his wrist/hand

he's been using electro-theropey .. er i forget what its called, but you konw those little pads you put on and they shocke the surface of your skin slightly?... i think that type of thing

he says before he started using it he couldn't play .. he has problems steming from overuse in his job using computer keyboard

4. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    where about do u feel the pain on your right hand? my right hand hurt as well, not the entire hand but the upper part, especially when i use my fingers to pick up something like a mug or squeeze toothpaste out. i wonder if this is similar to what you're having, or does anyone know what it is? been playing badminton regularly and yes i do smashes and backhand clears, but the pain just came suddenly yesterday morning, today it got worse so i decide to go see a doctor tomorrow.

btw, hope u get well very soon.;)

5. Skillful

Skillful New Member

Student
    Reply to Smashmaster

If you fell your hand and tendons in perfect condition, i suggest you to use weights to make your hand more powerful, and you wont have these problems.
    I used to have this problem as well, but my trainer offered me this possibility, and now i have no problems and more powerful smashes.
    I wish you the bests!;)

6. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    thanks for the replies

well i actually went to go play this morning and everything was fine i took it easy and well i was going to go see my doctor but i didnt have to...he was there playing a game against me lol but we talked and he said that it would be alright for me to start to up my game again. but looks like i will temporiarly be taking a leave as "smash master" on the courts oh well. oh and winstonchan mine was hurting around the top right across the top of my hand but only when i would smash or do anything backhand smash cause if i just made a fist it wouldnt hurt. but from what your saying i would think that you hurt your flexor tendons but i hope that its nothing to serious and you will be back playing in no time.

7. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Tennis Elbow

I thnk it's call Tennis Elbow, very common for racket sports where repeating actions are used. There's no solution for this except resting and you can learn more from http://www.tennis-elbow.net
    You can try Futuro's Elbow Support costs about US$14.

8. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    thanks for the advice smash_master, went saw doctor this morning and it's the wrist joint bone that got hurt, affecting the nerves around the fingers. it's just wear and tear due to continuous play. have to be off-court for 10 days.:(

9. GiGaChip

GiGaChip Regular Member

I would usually stretch my wrists and hands, even though it looks very funny, like I'm doing yogo or something. I would just take my hand, and flip it "upside down", as to stretch it, then of course do wrist rolls, and put my hands together and bend them to one side, then bend them to the other...then put both my hands together again and point my fingers in front of me and then stretch them that way, then do it upside down...it gives me a pretty good stretch in the wrist/palm area, and usually prevents that pain in the wrist and hands after smashing so much...do these before hitting, hope that helps