drive returns

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by checkthemc, Jul 15, 2005.

1. checkthemc

checkthemc Regular Member

None/Student
    When I was playing doubles today, whenever I smashed, they would drive the birdy to the other side. I tried steeper smashes, power smashes, and chest level smashes. How do you counter extremely fast drive back returns. Especially if you are playing in the front and back rotation. Should I clear it back? I doubt I have the speed to drive it back. Perhaps much steeper smashes would be the solution?

Btw, is the most effective return to a smash in doubles a drive return? And why block to the net in singles, if a drive return is faster and more often catches the opponents off guard.

2. loverush

loverush Regular Member

Try steeper smashes. And yes, drive returns are very effective in singles if you can manage to do it. THat is often why smashes in singles are very off to the side where it is very difficult to drive return.

3. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    Have you tried the "stroking" style? Try doing alot of clears and as he replies, do a drop. Trust me, if he has low stamina, you'd definitely tire him out! :D
    Also, by clearing you have a longer response time if he drives all the way from the back. Apparenlty, he can't drive a shuttle below the netline. ;)

4. loverush

loverush Regular Member

Yea, clearing in doubles is very good against beginner to intermediate. But any higher in skill level and they'll just keep smashing at you (you shoudn't be giving away the attack in doubles).

5. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    Yes, but I don't see any difference from that and returning with another drop; except that you can have a longer response time when he smashes all the way fromt he back.

6. Robin (SWE)

Robin (SWE) Regular Member

Student
    check this match out

I downloaded the 2003 WC MS quarter between Xia XZ and Jonassen... amazing game but what's really interesting is seeing Jonassen doing all kinds of nice drives and pushes in the most incredible situations! Check it out, it certainly will change your way of playing of giving a few tips and answers + its amazing entertainment too. (eMule is the best)

7. YS_Po

YS_Po Regular Member

not good with badminton terminology

What kind of stroke is a drive?
    besides a serve, backhand, clear, smash, drop, lift and drive... what are the other types of strokes?

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Drives are fast low shots 'driven' with mostly backhand strokes, one could drive with forehand but it's not as deceptive. It's a fast shot attempt to pull your opponents out of balance/position. In doubles, it's a 'bread and butter' shot. If you don't master it, your team will be severely handicapped.

9. RealMad

RealMad Regular Member

In intermediate play, the drive return is indeed the most effective counter to a smash. This is because intermediate players often cannot smash hard enough from the back to force a weak return, much less score a clear winner. But, of course, every intermediate player thinks they can... :D

Couple more considerations:

1. When your partner smashes, your tendency is to step forward to the net to handle any weak returns. The opponent then whips a cross court drive, out of your reach, right past you. An advanced player at the net will be able to cut the drive shot, but most players can't.

2. At intermediate level, do not smash from the back baseline. Your opponents will just take advantage of your strength to pull off winning drive returns. Just keep clearing to your opponent's baseline until he returns a weak lob.

So, good general rule, if your opponent can pull off the drive return (particularly cross court) on your smash, your smash is too weak and does not scare him. Don't smash until you get closer.

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The best way to return smashes is to flatten your returns (drive returns) and to return cross-court well clear of the net. Flat drive returns means that you can no longer smash. Cross court returns, whether drives or high, are hard to smash because the smasher will be off-balanced.
    Try to smash to a spot away from his racquet hand, to his hip, his body, his shoulder. If you are a hard smasher, they will probably fall further back to defend, in which case you mix your drops and your smashes. If you are weak in smashing, they will probably wait for you nearer the net, in which case you do a quick clear. In other words you must know where and when to smash or drop. But you should never surrender a high clear with a clear, except when you are fooling around with lesser players.

11. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

A. Smash steeper (ie. use jump smash).

B. Have you partner to get ready for interception. Drives mean the birdie is traveling flat and that could is killable by the person in the front.

C. Work on your footwork and balance, which will help you to recover quicker after your smash and prepare for the drive.

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    A rough rule of thumb in doubles-when attacking hit down (smashes or drops) towards the centre, when defending return to the sides or with deep cross-court. The purpose is mainly to take advantage of angles of attack and defence.