quick question

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by checkthemc, Jul 16, 2005.

1. checkthemc

checkthemc Regular Member

None/Student
    In your own opinion, are steeper but slower smashes harder to receive than flatter but more powerful smashes? Lets say 75% power steeper smashes vs 100% power smashes. The power smashes land around the doubles service line, and the steeper smashes land around a foot behind mid court. Please explain your opinion.

2. slvrdrgn123

slvrdrgn123 Regular Member

Improving what little skills I have
    i would say yes. if theyre steeper, u would have to move forward a little to return it which might make u lose balance and use less power.

3. Super~ME!

Super~ME! Regular Member

student
    ...hmm...i'd say the ones farther back would be more difficult to return since since most of the time you're in or around the middle. so...when a not so steep bird reaches you, it'll be about body or waist height. fast shots around there are kinda harder to return whereas a less powerful but steeper smash would be a lot lower when it reached you making it easier to underhand it. or you could just move forward and step into it when its a little higher up. however, when i get smashes, i have this habit of going really low and then getting the smash. don't know why i do it though...just a habit:rolleyes:

but in a game...i usually don't really think too much about the steepness. i just direct it and give it like 75%+ power...and as long as it goes down a reasonable angle and stays in....i'm happy:D

4. slvrdrgn123

slvrdrgn123 Regular Member

Improving what little skills I have
    im with u on that one. :D

as long as it doesnt hit the net and stays in, im happy too.

5. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    I'd say, it would really depend to your position, your opponents position and the shuttle's speed. Okay, if the power smashes were at the doebles service line and you are on the other side, apparently it would be really hard to return the shuttle. If you were on the same side the power smashes is in, it would be easier to return to a steep smash to the other side. So, my opinion is that no attacks are best; it only depends on the situation.