what's the advantage of "LONG" racquets? Or its just a marketing gimmick?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by fanatic, Jul 16, 2005.

1. fanatic

fanatic Regular Member

I've compared Yonex's "Long" racquets against racquets of normal length.

The diff is only several mm only.

As i can't grip my racquet at the same spot everytime, what does the extra few mm do?

2. tangle

tangle Regular Member

student
    For some rackets, the few mm ends up in the handle which is good for doubles play as the higher up u hold on the handle, means better control. This is especially good for the front person when the pair is in the attacking position.

3. ting03

ting03 Regular Member

University Student
    ppl say you can get more power and length, which increases your ability.....

lol i like the "Longer" racquets becuz you can be more lazy since you have more reach when playing defense and getting dropps :D lol

4. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Regular Member

Student
    yep... like a few mm of reaching will make a big difference:p

5. fanatic

fanatic Regular Member

i'd agree if these so-called "Long" racquets are longer by several cm, but the truth is that they're only longer by several mm.

i personally think nobody can hold the racquet at the same spot(up to few mm accuracy) everytime you hit the shuttlecock.

i've tested this with several players by making markings on the grip everytime we switch from backhand grip to forehand grip and none of the time we can hit the same previous grip spot simultaneously up to mm accuracy. the difference are always by several mm.

6. fanatic

fanatic Regular Member

next time, if we adjust our grip lower by several mm, we'd have a so-called "Long" racquet already
    :D

7. Lin Dan-Fan

Lin Dan-Fan Regular Member

I bought an armortec 800 off not knowing its made for doubles play. Even though its a great racket in term of power and control, the longer grip is anoying when im playing singles.

8. pb_aznstyle

pb_aznstyle Regular Member

In badminton, a few mm goes a "long" way :D

9. slvrdrgn123

slvrdrgn123 Regular Member

Improving what little skills I have
    yep. like when u hit the birdie and it just hits the top of the white tape. a few mm's there would have flipped it over the net. ;)

10. Dawnmoon

Dawnmoon Regular Member

10mm longer gives me more reach...and difficult to switch back to regular size 664mm length racquet if I get used with "long" one:crying:

11. blinan8088

blinan8088 Regular Member

IT Programmer
    fast game

Yes, I think so. Badminton is a fast game and I think in a such fast game, a few mm's do count... :)

12. fanatic

fanatic Regular Member

i think pb_aznstyle is right! i wonder what they'll call their "Long" racquets when they increase the length by another several mm? Super-Long? :rolleyes:

but seriously, anyone knows the science behind the so called "Long" racquets? i'm very curious to find out.

13. pb_aznstyle

Easy, the few mm may not seem like much, but the head speed will definitely feel increased. I don't know any calculations (I can ask my physics teacher I guess) but the head speed increases because of it being further away from pivot point, but your stroke remaining the same speed. Try flicking your racquet with your wrist by holding your racquet at the cone and at the wrist. You will notice a definite increase in head speed. Now see if you can so the same experiment by only moving your grip a few mm. The difference is still a bit noticeable. By Increasing the grip length, yonex has given the player more choice of control/power. If the racquet's shaft is longer, then that's just more power.

14. fanatic

fanatic Regular Member

yeah, i get what u meant. its all physics and logic, but i think the racquets needs to be significantly much longer rather than by several mm only.

the thing is, how many of us, or shall i say, can anyone of us consistently grip at the same spot (without looking at the racquet as if in while playing) without missing by several mm?

in order for the "Long" theory to work, you'd have to be consistently holding yr grip at the same spot everytime!

if we can't, then we'd have the on-off effect of the "Long" advantage! if we hold the grip several mm higher, we'd have the "Short" effect! hold it several mm lower, we'd have the Long" effect!

i don't think Yonex can justify this as they stopped producing "Long" for their new high-range racquets such as NS series.

#14 fanatic, Jul 17, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2005
  15. Slacker

Slacker Regular Member

Baddy Fanatic/Addict FULL-TIME!!!
    Hmm....in fact yonex are almost producing all "long" (674mm)rackets now at least for all the top n newest series including the mp77,88,99,100, ATs, Nanospeed 7000,8000 n lastly the Cab30ms also is a "long" racket too.

16. pb_aznstyle

I duno about you, but I know many players are consistent with where they grip thier racquet on average. You can tell because of where the grips starts to wear and tear. Some players do change around, for like... when recieving a doubles serve. but once in play, I think they go to the same area again.