balance point database

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by daboob, Jul 16, 2005.

1. daboob

daboob Regular Member

Student
    I'm wondering, why YONEX doesn't mention the balance points of their rackets in the catalogue. I think it's a very important specification, just like the stiffness of the shaft, which is given from extra stiff to extra flexible.

Does anyone know some kind of database on balance points?

I just know the BPs of my rackets:

MP99 (3U G3): 295mm
    AT800OF (3U G5): 303mm
    AT500 (3U G3): 315m

(all with strings and original grip, no overgrips)

I'm interested in the BPs of all the NS, AT and MP rackets.
    (coolers database only includes relative balance points of the older rackets)

2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I am not trying to dissapoint you, however, your data is not going to be precise since the rackets are with strings.

3. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

exactly.
    it's going to be different for every racquet, even of the same model.

quality of string job, the string pattern, string type, size of the knots, etc, makes a difference.
    the amount of grip used for the original grip will affect it (for example, the guy wrapping it pulled a little tighter and used a bit less).
    the wood used in each racquet for the handle will be slightly different due to differing parts of a tree.
    the balast they use to try to make the racquets similar will be different.

i have a few airblade superlites, and with the same string from the same stringer, all done on the same day, plus overgrip, put on at the time, with same amounts of grip (i used the whole roll), resulted in the balance points being off by a few millimeters for each. surprisingly, all of them were within 0.5 grams in weight!! :)

4. StrikerCase

StrikerCase Regular Member

Mechanical Engineer, Researcher
    Baminton balance Point

I have other suggestion. Due to less competition on badminton industry. We have to pay higher price on the racquet and get less of support. Following are my points. Please correct me if I am wrong.

(1) Tennis and Badminton. Badminton manufacture traditional do not provide weight/balance shaft, Moment of Inertia informatons. Other sports like Tennis, squash, Racquetball, have always provide detail weight balance in strung and unstrug spec (Wilson, Prince, Head, Babolat) Even Yonex. Why?

(2) String is not an issue on not provide the data: The information already there
    yonex had manufacturing some prestrung racquet in Taiwan or China. If they do not know the strung weight/balance How can Yonex decide on quality? and range of acceptance?

(3) Unstrung spec: Even if Badminton manufacture concen about the string and grip difference they can publish the unstrung and ungrip weight/ balance info. (Tennis and other sport provide strung and unstrung spec) It wll help consumer make decisin. Right?

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yonex publish general description like head light/balance/heavy not numerical data. Yes, it help consumers but it also help fake racket makers. Just curious, have u guys see or heard any fake tennis rackets of brand names??How come fake badminton rackets are so common where as fake squash and tennis rackets are rarely seem (by me). Does this say badminton is more popular than tennis? :p

6. StrikerCase

StrikerCase Regular Member

Mechanical Engineer, Researcher
    I am not very knowledge about the situation. It is my own analysis, I guess to make fake badminton is more profitable than make fake tennis.

Market Share: Badminton is "own" by Yonex. Do not know company has power of Yonex? Tennis companies (no one is larger than 45% of market share) has Wilson, Prince, Babolate , Yonex, etc.

Cosmetic: Due to competition. Tennis always has new racquet new cosmetic or color every couple of year. look at catalog of badminton, Yonex keep the same cosmetic for along time.

As college economy 101 says " competition is good for the industry and consumer". Do you agree?

7. nadal

nadal Regular Member

This is probably the nearest thread regarding balance points i could find. I would just like to ask does changing the balance point of your racket with overgrips change the power of your shot too? If you place an overgrip on a head heavy racket, this most likely will make it more even balanced bec of the weight of the overgrip, will this in turn lessen the power of your shots, such that your smash will slow down? or it doesnt affect the power of your shots whatsoever?

8. hydrocyanic

hydrocyanic Regular Member

wasting my time
    your economic teacher is wrong, competition is only good for the consumers

business like and want monopoly, they charge whatever they way as long as their item are needed(badminton player need racket)

compare extreme cases, 1monopoly vs. 2(the term slip my mind, but when there are many companies but none of them have a majority, think of the market that sell.. cup for example)
    case 1 got all the control of price, quality, marketing expense, etc
    where as case 2 got none of those and have to follow the trend(too many substitutes and alternatives)

which case would a company like? given the demand is constant(you can say if yonex charge too high people won't play badminton, but that defeats the purpose eh?)

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The balance point of a racquet is always based on an unstrung racquet with its original grip, minus the clingwrap. The same brand and model, irrespective of whether it is a 2U, 3U or 4U, or G2, G3, G4 or G5, should have the same b/p. If not, it is considered off-spec and the finishing dept and qc should be fired.

10. forrestyung

forrestyung Regular Member

Salesman
    Fake tennis racket is also available in China, but not as popular as badminton racket. In fact, the largest fake rackets' market is China and population of badminton players is far higher than population of tennis players in China, so that why we can find more fake badminton rackets.

11. forrestyung

forrestyung Regular Member

Salesman
    taneepak always provides good points.

In Economist, when we want to compare two features, we must assumed all other factors being constant, otherwise, there will be no objective result. If we must add strings, grips.................. when making comparision, then there must be no objective result to be come out.

IMO, balance point is a quite good reference for choosing a racket when we cannot get the real stuff on hand. It is easier to adapt a 2U head heavy to 4U head heavy racket than adapt a 2U head heavy to 2U head light racket for me.

12. other

other Regular Member

Student
    thats why the balance points should be measured without any string...i assume that's what the other manufacturers do, such as SOTX:)

surely the design department has an idea of what balance point their racquets are?!

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    other, forrestyung, there are plus and minus of reporting BP of either unstrung or strung rackets ;), it depends on how the reader can take the data and interpret it them. ;)

14. aquaboi

aquaboi Regular Member

oligopoly?:confused:

15. dpc1l

dpc1l Regular Member

Perfect Competition

With the racket database, I remember something here
    http://www.directsportseshop.co.uk/racsel.html

I'm not sure if it's got the info you're looking for because it's been a while since I looked at it, and the firewall at work won't let it load.

Hope it helps.

#15 dpc1l, Nov 24, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2005