Lee Chong Wei targets world medal

Discussion in 'World Championships 2005' started by KourKK, Jul 16, 2005.

1. KourKK

KourKK Regular Member

BADMINTON: Lee targets world medal
    K.M. Boopathy

July 17:
    IT is always good to win a tournament before a major event and Lee Chong Wei firmly believes that his Malaysia Open triumph will help his cause in the World Championships in Anaheim next month.

Chong Wei will be making his debut in Anaheim, all the reason why the 23-year-old shuttler’s second consecutive Malaysia Open title last Sunday was crucial.

The normally cautious Chong Wei was bold enough to target a semi-final spot in the World Championships where he expects the competition to be as tough as the Olympics.

"I have been improving but I needed a title to boost my chances in World Championships.

"The Malaysia Open win was timely," said Chong Wei speaking after an incentive ceremony by Sito Network in Shah Alam yesterday.

"Normally there will be pressure on a player who wins the final warm-up tournament before the World Championships but I don’t think my victory in the Malaysia Open will put me under any pressure.

"It is always better to win something before competing in the World Championships than going there with a below par achievement.

"I will be focused and my target is to win a medal in Anaheim. I need to reach at least the semi-finals and that’s my immediate target.

"Anything better will be a bonus as I still have a long way to go on the international stage."

Despite Chong Wei’s victories over World No 1 Lin Dan of China and Olympic champion Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia in the Malaysia Open, the duo will start as the favourites to win the men’s singles crown in Anaheim.

Chong Wei said that the last six months have been very testing as Chinese coach Li Mao took over from Misbun Sidek but the World No 5 has finally adapted to the change.

"I had trained under Misbun for two years where my fitness improved while Li Mao has been working on my skills. I have adapted to Li Mao’s training now," said Chong Wei.

"Li Mao focused more on improving my skills and tactics. I’m quite balanced in all areas at the moment but I need to improve further."

Chong Wei’s Malaysia Open title also won him an incentive of RM5,000 from Sito and the oxygenated drinking water producers have promised there are more incentives to come if he does well in the World Championships and other major grand prix events.

Source, www.nst.com.my

2. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    dream on

lcw is superb only when he plays in malaysia :D

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    He got the crowd to cheer him on. I hope he can prove himself internationally.

4. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

That's funny to see that some journalists always write this ... someone targets gold ... because for me that's absolutely normal to see a professional player targeting the gold medal lol =p

5. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Ah, but in Malaysia, there has been many such targets before and most fell flat .... Our news should have been able to adjust to such predictions by now.

The only target that Malaysian badminton have actually met was winning the Thomas Cup 1992. Even then, they had to undergo anxious moments after losing to half-strength Korea in a group match.