The best Canadian badminton players

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Josh, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Josh

Josh Guest

Who do you think is the best in: MS WS MD WD MX??

I think:

MS: Bobby Milroy

WS: Charmaine Reid

MD: Ian Sydie & Brent Olanyk

WD: I'm not quite sure.....

MX: Ian Sydie & Charmaine Reid

2. Don

Don Regular Member

Your MS is a long shot... The best are in Ottawa by far.

3. Andy

Andy Guest

I've always thought our top Canadian players are GOOD...but ever since I got a chance to watch them play in the Toronto Open, it was a major disappointment. They were making unforced errors and their power were that of any chinese lady player. I guess we'll never be able to see Canada in any major tournaments for a long time...

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    MS: Wang Wen

5. Josh

Josh Guest

Don, I looked on the actual IBF rankings and I found that the top Canadian was Bobby Milroy being #48 in the world.

6. trapped-never

trapped-never Regular Member

telecommunication engineer
    2001 Czech open winner

I have seen Boby playing in the last year Czech Open and he was really good. The final match was very dramatic. He was playing against French guy Lasmari. The result was 3-2 for Boby. I have nice memories.

7. Don

Don Regular Member

That ranking means nothing. He's not the top player in Canada, there are a couple of guys in town that out rank him nationally and can and will beat him. Milroy plays in many international tournaments (not big ones) accumulates points and gets a decent ranking. Look at Hingis, same deal, plays in many little tournaments and racks in the points, but can't seem to compete in the grand slam against the Williams sisters. Milroy is not the best Canadian MS player.

8. Don

Don Regular Member

Re: The best Canadian badminton players in additio

I'd like to point out that Canada is peanuts internationally.

9. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Bob rules!!! and he's a friend.

Also, I think he actually does read this forum once in a while.

10. Don

Don Regular Member

Can he beat Debeka or Wzokicijic (I don't know how to spell the last name)? I always see results of it's Debeka and Wzokokojic in the finals, haven't seen milroy in a while. The two I have mentioned have pretty much dominated the singles ranks in the last few year in Canada.

11. the best canadian born badminton player I know has lived in england all his life and plays in local league clubs - but he's the best - in my opinion... sadly... he's not mine! This pantherlike icon is heaven to watch - not only when he plays badminton but in every walk of his life - he's just drop dead gorgeous ........

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That's true. World ranking depends on how to play in selected tournaments.

There was an Australian men's doubles pair that got to the top 16 a couple of years ago. I saw them play on TV - technically had a few weaknesses. It was strange how they could get so high.

They entered the Swedish Open (1 star) as top seeds. I think they got beat 1st or 2nd round.
    My conclusion is they must have entered the regional tournaments with lower level competition which they won and then managed to accumulate points.

13. Josh

Josh Guest

and who might you be talking about..............

14. ooooh, I couldn't possibly name the person! They are one of the many people who frequent this forum (although under many different names!), and I wouldn't want to embarrass them in public!

15. John

John Guest

Brave New World. It is interesting to know about people you have never heard of before. It tells you that you may be reaching that 'use by' date. The only Canadian I ever heard of in the Badminton world is Denyse Julien but this Canadienne is from yesteryears, I suppose. John.

16. Steven

Steven Guest

Canadian national badminton training are not disciplined enough... and our national training program does not promote sport as a career... but rather a recreational passtime... if you happen to make it to the national, then you are lucky.. if not.... too bad....

Until the National Sports Program changes its ultimate vision and objective, Canadian National Players will only reach a percertage of what the Asian players are playing now..

17. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    Yo Steve, I read your other posts. Whos your coach? Making kids cry! :( I think I'd rather keep this sport fun and not train 24/7 for it hehe. but my opinion.

I guess if you really wanted to go pro, you would need a coach like that though.
    Anyways... I'll still go with fun over going pro:p

18. Steven

Steven Guest

Trust me, it was not my intention to make them cry... but I do push quite hard... These kids are not your regular kids who just play for fun... they compete and they pay hundreds of dollars every month for private and group lessons... so their parents expect results...

My philosophy... no problem with having fun... then have fun with your friends... but the moment you decide that you want to compete and have paid money for lots of private and group lesson, fun is not in my vocabulary and nor will it be in yours.. if the kids cannot handle the intensive training, then they need to think again.... again, not bragging or trying to do be a big and bad mouth... but as I said, if any players wish to achieve results, there are two important things that the player has to have... Passion for the sport... and discipline like a machine. Unfortunately, these two qualities are far and few in children today and these qualities cannot be taught by the coaches. We teach the skills, past on the experience and fine tune the players technique and fitness...

Fun is okay and nothing wrong with that... I play with my students too as fun too when they are not training... but the moment they step on the court for training, they must be prepare to work their butt off... Words such as tired, slow, do not feel good are not acceptable. if so, then do not step on the court for training... or else it is wasting both people's time.