Bad Court Behaviour in Clubs

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by UkPlayer, Jan 10, 2002.

1. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Inspired by the precious Simon Archer thread.

What is wrong with some of the players in the UK? At many of the clubs I've played at some of the players have terrible court behaviour:

Tutting when their partner does something they don't like
    Arguing about what their partner is doing
    Not putting in the effort and 'throwing the game' because they think the game is lost already.

I play with many players far weaker than me on club nights and I always make a point of:

Saying unlucky when they miss a difficult stroke
    Saying 'good shot' on their winners
    Touching them on the shoulder with the racket often to encourage them.
    Not talking about what I percieve as weaknesses until we're off court (if at all), and making the feedback sound positive.

I think the above should be taught BEFORE a player learns to serve.

What's it like in other countries?

UKP

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    almost all keen badminton players in the US are very curteous as far as i have seen.

unfortunately, there are bad oranges in every basket. most of those i have seen are the occasional warriors who comes in and think they own the gym. or some ungrown kids who has yet to learn the importance of being polite.

3. Valentino

Valentino Guest

here in the netherlands i think there arrogant, some are ok, but most are not.
    the players of the us national team though were very sportive, not anywhere near a bad behaviour

4. Jump Smash

Jump Smash Guest

Hello Valentino!

Do you happened to know the website for Badminton Netherland? Thanks in advance

5. Valentino

Valentino Guest

yes its www.badminton.nl, ... i reckon you know dutch?

6. Persius

Persius Guest

I have played with a few people like this within the UK arena. I have found their attitude, arrogance and total ignorance of their partner to be most destructive.

I have also seen how this behaviour can create poor perception from other members of the club who will take pity on the person they feel is being assassinated by the "bad sport". So, in the end it is the one who dishes out such behaviour who not only destroys the confidence and playing level of their partner, they also damage peoples' perceptions of them to the extent, even if they are a good player people do not want to play with them.

The crazy thing is, they will be the first people to criticise others when they see such behaviour being displayed, yet cannot see how they are no better.

To compound matters they will then go on to blame their partner for the fact they lost the game - what a load of garbage! Such people should be "removed" from the badminton forum. Of course, we all like to win - but negativity breeds contempt it does not encourage additional effort and confidence.It provokes pressures that, in the main, forces errors rather than successes.

Were these people born "experts" that they can be so intolerant of others? Did they not have to learn the game themselves too? Did they find people tutting, huffing, throwing the game, walking of court, muttering, making gestures, etc constructive?

You may gather I feel strongly about this, you are right. Such players almost prevented me from ever wanting to pick up a racquet again! Fortunately I have evolved since then. I enjoy the sport now more than I have done before, and appreciate the people I play with more too - even "the weakest links"!

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    "The crazy thing is, they will be the first people to criticise others when they see such behaviour being displayed, yet cannot see how they are no better."

Many people like these in UK.

HK players generally are very polite. There are, of course, a few exceptions but unless it's tournament or match, people are pretty realistic and polite.
    Normally, if there are people playing at a much higher level in the same session, it is also considered polite not to expect these people to play too many games with you. I think HK people have a high awareness of their contempories' skill and respect that.

M'sian players are also polite and again, it is also considered polite not to expect much better players to play too many games with you since you are wasting their time.

Conclusion:
    HK/M'sia - good insight
    UK - a larger minority have poor insight.

8. Jump Smash

Jump Smash Guest

No, I don't know Dutch! I've to look up some tourney stuff, that all! Thanks a lot!

9. Johno

Johno Guest

I play for 3 uk clubs, and admitt that there are a few of the sort of players that do have a bad court temperment. But i think that EVER player who is playing at a good standard and want s to win will lose there cool at some point.
    I know that i have done it from time to time ( being a junior player emotions can get the better of me - i put it down to hormones). But there is nothing more fraustraighting in badminton then when you are running all round the court getting ever shot back, defending against smashes coming left, right and centre and basically playing well for your partner to blow the easy net shot the is 3 foot above the net and waiting to be killed off.
    This as happened to everybody, and if anybody here says that they didn't get the slightest bit annoyed ( even on the inside and still said 'unlucky' to your partner...... like i do when ever they lose a point) then i woudn't beleive them because at some point, everybody get annoyed, so to a more extreme point then others.
    Also, another reason why i think that younger players seem to be have bad court behaviour is that because if they are use to playing wityh other junior plays then they can get away with more ( i.e. a net shot which is just 2 inches to high) then when they play against the more experienced players and that shot doesn't work, they start to think that they are not playing as well as they normally do because that shot normally works, or if they are use to winning all the time at junior level but then lose at a adult level, they get anger..... well un-happy. I know this for a fact, because i use to be like that until not so long ago when i basically grew up and saw that no other players in my club that i respescted both as player and people didn't get anger, they had a lighter hearted look on the game. They all go out a play to win, but they go out to enjoy them-selves more, which i know see is just as, if not more important than whether they win or lose. Seeing people like this helped me see why we all play the game.....FOR ENJOYMENT
    There may be some really angery players in the uk, but there are also some really nice ones, and it's people like that which we should talk about rather than the 'bad apples'

please note. That i know that i have got fraustraighted, but i have never shouted, argued or insulted a partner. I always uncourage them whether they won the point of not. And know i always try to be polite to people...... even when they give bad line calls.
    So , i would like to think that i'm a polite young man that people would like to play with not just because of my skill level but because i'm a nice boy to be on court......... which i have been commented on in the past because of my sportsmanship and fair play

10. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Ha -- Dutch is a piece of cake if you know English, German and Swedish! :)

11. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I'd say here in Sweden people are very polite and encouraging. There are often bursts of disappointment or even anger, but very rarely directed against one's partner...

In my club, when the juniors have match training, the coach punishes ALL emotional display and bad court behaviour by loss of serve or a point. It may seem hard, but I actually think it's part of the coach's job to teach manners too... After all, badminton IS a gentleman's sport, right? ;)

12. ^shaz^

^shaz^ Regular Member

I know this is going off the topic slightly but where in the UK are u guys from (for those who are in UK).

Because i must disagree, i am from Scotland and i play at club, national tourneys and so on and i must say it is very very rare to see a doubles partner shouting at his/her partner, if they do shout is when they themselves miss a shot and tryin to get focussed again, i do this at times.

Also at club nights i never see this, i am still in juniors tho..ie U19, which may have something to do with it but when i play for my club in league matches i never see this, i feel that a misrepresentation of UK players is being brought forward here as it is a very small minority that are like how u describe.

shaz.

13. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    In general there are arrogant players in any country and at any club. The remedy for these people is to be polite and wish them luck at the new club that they are obviously wanting to go to instead of being at the one they are currently at. In some clubs I have been to, exceptionally arrogant members have been asked to leave the club and their money refunded.

I prefer to subscribe to them accidentally slipping against my fist in the parking lot. But that's just me.

14. Eng vs Scot

Eng vs Scot Guest

Shaz - and long may I hope your illusion l asts, but I fear as you venture into more clubs you will find more - maturer - players hold this arrogance, especially those who deem themselves to be "experts" of some kind, yet not expert enough to be county players..

Scottish people tend to be more genuine than the british ones - especially the ones in southern England where class consciousness appears to be more rife. I can state this quite easily as I have lived and played in both countries

keep playing - we need more younger players to filter through - especially if they have the pleasant manner you describe

15. ^shaz^

^shaz^ Regular Member

very true point womever u may be, but i do play in club matches in 1st division and, obviously there are the arrogant types, but not as many as has been described, i dont know the situation with the english players, as i have only been there when i was on the u18 squad for my county, no experience with the older club players and their attitudes. By no means do i dispute the fact that there are a lot of arrongant players around but they are a minority and they tend to, imo, look for attention so i just ignore them which is very easy to do when playin against them, feel sorry for the guy playing with this so called "super" badminton player...lol.

16. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Shaz - I think you'll find that you're good enough to shrug it off or no-ones going to give you grief in the first place. From first hand experience in playing in a County squad, there's a World of difference from mainstream clubs. Also if you go to any club while you're performing at a high level you're not likely to get that problem.

The problem arises for many people when you get a half decent player that thinks they're an expert because they're king of the club yet aren't really that good at all. Now I'm not saying this is all players, I am saying it is too prevalent in clubs and it needs to be stamped out.

I remember the firs time I picked up a racket having come back from a year's break after injury problems and it opened my eyes a lot to what goes on. On my first re-entry to a club with enough energy to play about half a game and extremeley rusty stroke work, I was lectured in 'how to play doubles' from a sub-standard player which I found most displeseant.

UKP

#16 UkPlayer, Jan 11, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2002
  17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    UKP, That person didn't have enough knowledge to recognise your underlying level of skill.
    Bad manners does happen but I don'tt think it can be stamped out. It is partly a cultural thing. Many people in UK are jealous of success/people doing better. They can really bitch about it. They don't respect success. Just look at the number of complaints reported in the papers when a person won the lottery. a number of people will moan at the relatives/friend's lack of generosity. Of course, this repreents a minority but the 'minority' is larger in UK.

If anybody claims not to have been angry at their partner or vice versa, they've never played MIXED doubles with their spouse. :)

18. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Cheung,
    You're correct of course, it's not something that can be stamped out at clubs,but it's a nice thought isn't it :)
    UKP

19. Terri585072

Terri585072 Guest

A man I am now on "freidnly terms" with (hmm, we won't go into detail!) is a proficient badminton player. He used to play with the woman he lived with (but he doesn't live with her anymore now that I'm around!) and he always told me how difficult it was to play with his then "common low wife".

I suppose it's like teaching the person yo are closest to how to drive, not a good idea eh.

ps, love to the man I refer to above

Terri (call me soon, you have my number!!)

20. John

John Guest

I am surprised the discussion hasn't broached the role of coaches. Obviously the first thing to teach and drum into every youngster's and beginner's head before any coaching starts, is court etiquette and its not just about getting the shuttle back to the other side or apologising for hitting someone with the shuttle, but also about consideration for your partner or opponent. Perhaps reminders should be added for the first couple of times until the message gets across.
    Bad manners happen in tennis all the time and is extremely dangerous on the golf course, so I get it bad. John.