lack of English media coverage in Badminton??

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Jan 10, 2002.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    how come? how come there is so little badminton media coverage published in English? be it online, or in print.

in other languages, there are a lot of websites, the Danish site is quite good, the netherland, french sites all have a lot of coverage and interesting articles in techniques, etc. and there is the japanese magazine which looks quite excellent except i don't know understand the writing. the chinabadminton.com site is also quite excellent with updated articles everyday from newspapers and once in a while a technique article.

as for English, we know of no decent English badminton magazines anymore. IBF used to have one, but they decided to phase that out and go to worldbadminton.net instead.

online coverage, worldbadminton.net is nice, but the coverage completeness is a bit to be desired. sometimes, they just copy and rephrase some of the articles from other newspaper. USAB has one, and that's even worse, only covering local US team. and honestly, who cares about the US team. there used to be badmintonasia.com, which hasn't been updated since June, there is worldbadminton.net and a couple of newspaper from Indonesia and Malaysia with frequent articles.

there also used to be nwshuttle news, which was most excellent. but they decided to stop.

and there is this crummy website, whom i don't think can be called the "media".

and that's about it! have i been very blind? why isn't there more coverage? i love to wake up everyday and be able to see fresh badminton news, in *English*.

2. johnboy

johnboy Guest

Perhaps it is because there is no demand.

Unpalatable as that may seem to us who are really into the sport I feel it is the truth.

I feel that unlike most other sports, badminton has a problem in that whilst thousands of people play, very few of them are interested in anything outside there own club night. They seem to moan about the lack of coverage, blaming everybody (especially the BAofE) but doing nothing themselves.

How many reading this board have actually taken time to sit down and write to the TV companies or the national papers and asked for more coverage. Perhaps if more people did then something might happen.

To misquote an old well known advert...Its good to talk, but far better to actually doing something about it

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    johnboy

I write to tv station cbc and tsn every year.
    i have written to local paper twice
    i have wrote to ibf about the 5x7 in 2000
    i have participated in community input in our new local recreation center
    i bring up badminton all the time at work, parties and you name it situations
    i have pictures of badminton players hanging in my office
    i have email badminton avi & mpg to non badminton coworkers

short of running for office, what more should i do Johnboy?

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Re: johnboy

i run this website. ;)

ok. so some of us does spend time and energy and trying to popularize badminton. which i think is very cool. i personally thinks that we should not only benefit from the sport, but also give something back as badminton is really too good a game to be left in the dust.

but results has been some, but does not seem to be enough. what is missing? what else can we do??

5. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Cooler, I have a framed badminton poster (pretty cool '96 Olympic print by Hiro Yamagata - there is a poster shop that sells them regularly on e-bay for $9.95) sitting on my desk, waiting to be hung on my office wall. I might even do it tomorrow. Someplace buried in my to do list for 2002 is sending letters to the major networks and ESPN to show badminton on U.S. TV.

I've also talked up badminton to all of my friends and invited them to try out the game some night. Thus far, I have converted ...... zero (0) of them to the sport. It's pretty discouraging. A lot of my buddies are runners and claim that they wouldn't have time to do both and running is more interesting to them!?! I ran track and cross country in high school and college and was a faster runner than any of these guys when I was in shape many eons ago, and the best non-race run I ever had was only about as good as a poor night of playing badminton.

What is with all of these pathetic, non-badminton minded Americans and Canadians? I think there must be something in the water in North America....

6. johnboy

johnboy Guest

Hi Cooler

I don't think there is much more that you can do except keep on doing it.

The problem is that we are members of a very small group that actually does do something, if more people actualy got of their backsides and 'walked the walk' instead of simply 'talking the talk' (God I hate that expression) then maybe something might happen.

Played in a match last night (we won 8-1, do not even think about who it was that lost the 1 !!!) and managed to steer the conversation round to TV coverage. Of the twenty or so people in the group only three showed any interest in helping out at a junior coaching session (held in their own club hall), no-one was interested in helping out on one of the county committees (three evenings a season) and no one had made contact with the media to ask for more coverage, indeed to at least half of them it was put down as a waste of time and to two people I got the response that it was not their job to do it.

I also asked if any of them could name any of our top players apart from Simon Archer.... three people thought he played with a woman whose name was something like Good and somebody else mentioned Gill Clark (she only knew Gills name from Sky TV commentry, but did not know she retired about 5 or 6 years ago)

With attitudes like this I thing we can expect our sport to flounder for some time

7. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed

Maybe it just takes one person. One American to take a world title. Then another, then another. By this time sponsorship jumps, especially our buddies at Budweiser, then it catapults from there. Wouldn't it be nice? Imagine going by the local newstand and having a commercial magazine for badminton predominantly alongside Sports Illustrated, Boxing, Auto and Football... Oops... drifted off there.

8. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

badminton coverage

Just when badminton coverage has started to improve(at least in my area), disaster happened again. wob.tv was stripped off the right to broadcasting badminton online(superseries). All the paid TV channels are more interested in broadcasting football, tennis and rugby day in day out rather than badminton and I have to rely on bet365(a betting site) to get my live stream from(not to mention the quality of the stream).

Son/daughter: Look dad/mom, I am watching badminton from a betting site. (Should you reply by saying you are proud of them finding their way to a betting site?) Now if you are a parent, will you encourage your kids to take up badminton?

Actually, I will write a letter to BWF asking them what the hell have they done todate in improving the coverage of badminton.

#8 lcleing, Jul 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  9. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    I am glad lcleing has got back to ENGLISH MEDIA COVERAGE...
    I think all of us on here can pat ourselves on the back for helping out Badminton promotion to friends etc, but MEDIA
    I emailed Sky several times in the All England (the last one with old scoring) when I had to watch it on TV cos I couldn't go =(. I was bored with the commentary, the Badminton was good, but Gill Clark... 'His fitness...' '...fitness levels aren't up...' '...fitness is important...'
    OMG Gill we are trying to showcase our sport and all she could talk about is how they weren't fit enough, so much so I googled to find out if she was a shareholder in gyms or something.

Other than that a local newspaper reports on a local kids tournament that is ran in my area and it's normally a 2 page colour spread, but the reporter is one of the players parents, which is very good for us.

I would in the future like to see some news on sky sports news, and I have emailed about that before, and I did recieve an emailed reply, but I can't find it. The jist was that people like english success and our badminton players were not having enough success for them to report on.

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    We are luck to have BadmintonCentral; to provide us with the latest news

There is hardly much Badminton in the ENGLISH MEDIA COVERAGE, other than news gathered from the 3 bigger English speaking nations, namely; India, the UK and Malaysia.

We are luck to have BadmintonCentral; to provide us with the latest news. :):):)

#10 chris-ccc, Jul 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  11. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    Oh yeah, I agree BadmintonCentral does supply us with the information that we all want. In all sorts of different ways. And I did say in my post that we all post things here and that this is a type of media, but not what the question was about.

The title was English media coverage. And here in the UK we have very little media coverage.
    Badminton England does publish a magazine, but only posts it to Badminton England members so there is not magazine on the market for people that just want to buy one.
    There is very few english written webpages on badminton apart from badminton forums, probably because there isn't a great deal of english reading players. I expect that there are Chinese badminton forums which are as popular as this one is. But if there was more media for english speakers/readers would this forum be as popular. And do we need much more media? Most of the web searches I do for Badminton information leads me back to a thread here.
    The main media I would like to see is skysports bringing publicity. I do not know how in other english speaking/reading areas badminton is represented on TV. But would you watch it, when simple searches online can get live streams or you can watch any match whenever you want via somewebsite somewhere.