BC's Global Outreach - Visitors to Singapore for game

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by Loh, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    In the month of June, three fellow members of BC.com joined me and my team for a game of badminton - Cheongsa, a Singaporean PhD student in the US, popular Ants from KL, Malaysia and BobbyGeneric who hails from Toronto, Canada.

In the past, our team did not have a permanent venue and we relied on the public courts in the sports halls for our Sunday afternoon games. It has always been a hassle to book these courts as demand seems to be way ahead of supply - a common complaint by Singaporean badminton enthusiasts! But now Sheares Hall, a student hostel within the NUS compus in the Western part of Singapore, has been made available to us and this has reduced our stress level a great deal so that we can better enjoy our afternoon games.

Cheongsa has recently become a proud father. He is a powerful player in doubles and covers the court well. Unfortunately, he further aggravated his knee injury when he slipped on the moist floor whilst warming up with me. A teammate had earlier cleaned the dusty wooden floor with a wet mop. I hope he has now fully recovered. :)

Ants is no stranger to Singapore too, having to come down for work assignments here and elsewhere in the region. As you can read from his posts, he was in Manila recently and thoroughly enjoyed the MVP Cup between Asia and Europe. He also joined Netasia's Group for a few games when he was here. This is the second time Ants has played with my group.

BobbyGeneric or Raimund is a tall, handsome young man with a most envied badminton player type physique. Singapore's climate is just too hot for Raimund but he seemed to enjoy his games just the same. The advantage of height plus youth made his smashes most devastating! :D

I'm sure Kwun is pleased to note that BC does have a global network, though unofficially, not only via the electronic medium but also its physical presence. A relatively new member, Miyuki, is already BC's unoffical ambassador in Japan. Surely we can't forget how our friends in BC Vancouver really took 'good care' of LB from New York. In case Kwun has no time to shower Miyuki with compliments for being such a great hostess, may I take this opportunity of congratulating Miyuki for her great work. Keep it up Miyuki-san! ;)

Here are some pics of our visitors:

Attached Files:

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    totally so!

in fact, i have learned that such BC member hospitality has occured in many places, i have heard stories from various countries where boundaries between members are bridged by the love of badminton. it is as if one is meeting a never-before-seen relative from a far away place.

i myself have had BC friends who visited from various parts of the world, and i have played with BC members from Singapore, HK, Netherlands, and of course, Vancouver.

i am glad that this social network of BC members exist, this is where badminton is so great, it brings people together.

and thanks Loh for yet another inspiring report from Singapore. i hope this will inspire other members to do similarly, if you happen to visit a place, post a request and see if anybody will bring you out to a game of badminton there!

3. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    Hi Loh,

I didn't know you took pictures then! Must have been concentrating on the game..., and also my knee.

Thank you for your concern! I am recovering well from the knee injury, I think. In fact, I took a three-week break from badminton, and has been playing with the Jurong East group since then.

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Great to know you are well and now playing. I think I do know some of the Jurong East guys whom Kwun and I met during last year's Singapore Open BC get together. :D

Just early this week, our NUSS team recently competed its last match against the NUS team for the ITIS (Inter-Tertiary Institution Services ?) title. We had earlier beaten SP (Spore Poly), NY (Nanyang Poly) and NTU but last year's champ, NUS, was simply too strong for us. Our result as Runner-up is a much better than the previous years. No students were involved and the format: MS, MD, LD, XD VD (Veterans above 45).