when to change strings?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by jeffproX, Jul 21, 2005.

1. jeffproX

jeffproX Regular Member

Technical Support
    Goood day to all!:) if ive posted from a wrong forum kindly placed it where it belongs... anyways just a newbie here being so confused when to change the strings or modify the tension of my badminton raquet... what i have now is a yonex isometric 30VF, it has a bg65 string and just want some recommendations from you guys(experts) because im planning to change the strings from bg65 to bg 85 and modify the tension from 22 or 24 to 26 or 28(not quite sure) can you give me some advise? thanks!

2. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

BG85 is a much better string than BG65, but it won't last you as long, especially at high tensions like 28lbs.

But that's irrelevant anyway, because I would definitely NOT recommend you go that high on the Iso30VF. It's likely to damage the racket. The max recommended tension can't be more than 20lbs or so. I think it could probably take 24lbs, maybe even a little higher, but at that kind of tension, you will find it takes much more effort to get power from the racket.

If your racket had BG65 string as the standard factory stringing, it was probably quite a low tension anyway, and changing it to new strings will improve the feel (and sound, always important!) a lot, but I wouldn't go too high.

Hope this helped

3. jeffproX

jeffproX Regular Member

Technical Support
    thats a good recommendation! thanks to you! im planning to have a bg85 and maybe 26 or 24lbs... anyways thanks for your reply!:)

4. Birdiegut

Birdiegut Regular Member

Regional sales
    String's tension

Hi Jeffprox,
    If u string yr tension of yr racket to 28lbs, then make sure u have strong arm power, orelse u will find yrself hitting the birdie like using a piece of wood.Yr racket tension will drop by 1 lb at least after a week or so. Do see how much tension yr racket can take or high tensioning yr gut will cause yr racket to warp!!! Yonex BG 66, 80 n 85 are good strings. U have to try and feel the repulsion n handling n in future, choose the best to go with. Good luck.:D

5. jeffproX

jeffproX Regular Member

Technical Support
    hi guys!!! thanks for the replies!:D i just have replaced my strings but too bad it wasnt bg85 because of little prob like there is no color available matching my racket:eek: well well what i got is bg80 with 24 tension.. what do you think guys? well i hope its ok and i admit that this forum really helped me in choosing not only equipment but tactics and many more... youre the best guys! thanks!:)

6. Birdiegut

Birdiegut Regular Member

Regional sales
    String tension

Hi Jeffprox,
    Yonex rackets indicative tension at the handle of yr racket usually are around 22 lbs. U can string higher than that, normally about 2 lbs higher.Unless yr racket is a new model and can go up to 26lbs, then it is not advisable to go up to 28 lbs or so. The shop owner will advise u what is the ideal tension for yr racket.
    Hey, 24 lbs is pretty good. Observe if yr string tends to become loose or not after one week of playing the game?Well done job should have a neat and firmly tight gut,irrespective of hard smashes and drives. It just dont go astray easily.
    Enjoy yr game.:D

7. jeffproX

jeffproX Regular Member

Technical Support

thanks! im really looking forward on using this on monday... cant wait to feel the difference.. ill update you guys! see yah!:D