Any reason to suspect fake non-YY racquets?

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by mtnbf, Jul 22, 2005.

1. mtnbf

mtnbf Regular Member

Non Yonex brand high end models are expensive as well. SOTX, Victor, Wilson, Kason, Gosen, Black Knight's top models all sell for over 100USD. Wouldn't it be just as profitable to sell fake versions of these racquets? Even if the fakes get sold for a big discount, I would think that these sellers would still make money. After all, fake racquets cost what to make? And since these brands are not as popular as Yonex, they are not as scrutinized. Therefore, it would seem to be more difficult to spot the fakes. Just curious if anyone has run into this? Do we have to think twice about a seemingly good deal on a high end non Yonex brand racquet as well? Or do these manufacturers end up selling their stuff at a huge discount from MSRP just to grab market share from Yonex?

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Econ of scale. If the user of yy vs non-yy has ratio of 4:1, it is 4 times easier to sell 50 yy racquets than 50 non-yy racquets to make the same profit assuming that both yy and non-yy racquets have same performance and users have same iq. these fake sellers are cheaters, they usually take the easiest way to cheat money from you. Also, yy has higher markup than non-yy. For people want to save a lot of money (buying items out of there mean), they are more easily get cheated also.

And yes, there are fake non-yy out there too, just not as many of them.

#2 silentheart, Jul 22, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2005
  3. Glacier5000

Glacier5000 Regular Member

I've seen a fake SOTX Woven 16 before. A friend of mine bought it back from China.

How do I know it's fake? I have a real one to compare it to.