Privacy Issues

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by wilfredlgf, Jul 24, 2005.

1. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Do you guys think it's a good idea to allow publishing of personal phone numbers, addresses etc on BF? Been reading through the 'Places to Play' and I see a lot of 017s, 03s etc there which could be subject to abuse.

A lot of those forums in UK for example forbids public display of contact information.

Users could be reminded to PM instead?

May sound somewhat lame but it only take one occurence of the misuse to tarnish BF's name as a family oriented and safe forum.

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I think it should be alright since numbers/email could be changed if necessary. Changing phone numbers are a pain in the butt, yes... but changing credit card and social security numbers are worst. Also, guys are more likely to give out contacts than girls so there's less chance of sexual harassment offline. If something of that nature does happen over BF and/or pm, I am sure the mods could rectify the situation and give fair warning to the culprit.

Our members are pretty good about manners and ettiquette most of the time so there shouldn't be too much concern.

3. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    That is assuming that all users in BF/BC is good natured, which is the same as saying that all badminton players are right handed (not implying anything, just an analogy). As far as privacy is concerned, it doesn't matter how many incidents of those things to happen, it takes just one nasty thing to happen to leave a bad taste.

I'm sure Kwun didn't intend for that that when he set the place up but with the increase in the number of users as well as the gaining popularity, it can just serve as another platform for those with intentions other than badminton to just do their thing.

And what if they culprit was chastised and/or banned for the behaviour? It doesn't stop them from re-registering and start anew does it? Many sites doesn't allow disclosure of personal information to disclaim any personal incidents that may result from such accessibility.

What may be permissible perhaps are numbers such as the stadium/court numbers, shop contacts while the personal ones should be advised to be done in PM and only to trusted people.

4. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    We all have to remember that it's not necessarily BF members that will wander onto the website. Any one can come on and view the threads, but not be able to post. That is why it is very important never to post personal information onto the web - you have to accept the fact that anyone in the entire world with access will be able to read what you post.

I think Wilfredlgf's suggestion is a valid one, and will really help out our younger members.

An analogy to this is someone coming into a community center gym and stealing wallets from our racquet bags while we are playing. We all assume we are in a same environment, but we must always have to keep a watchful eye for our own stuff, and help the younger kids too.

5. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Mmm.

I reckon you guys should withold email addresses also. Or if you want to let someone know your email, just pm it to them. Spammers use software to comb forums such as these for emails so they can spam you.

mmm.

Now to disappear for another week or so.

6. slvrdrgn123

slvrdrgn123 Regular Member

Improving what little skills I have
    SPAMBLOCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D