Need help with Nanospeed 8000

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by sin.sid, Jul 25, 2005.

1. sin.sid

sin.sid Regular Member

Hi,

Just need advice on utilising Nanospeed 8000

What happened is that I just bought Nanospeed 8000 and used it three times eversince I bought it. Previously I had a Carbonex 8 Tour SP (I know it's rather a big jump :)). I never had any clue on racket specs or string tension, etc. Just bought the racket because of advice from friends :).

I found out that the string in NS 8000 is around 24-25 lbs with BG 66, while Carbonex 8 is around 20-22 lbs. And also just found out that while NS 8000 is stiff, Carbonex 8 is rather flexible.

There are several things I realise when I played with both rackets
    1. It's harder to hit tight net and drop shot with NS 8000. Most of the time it's rather too long or too high, unlike Carbonex 8
    2. The smash angle and speed is amazing with NS 8000, I can't achieve this with Carbonex 8 Tour SP.
    3. It is so hard to adjust to the sweetspot of NS8000. As a result, there is no power in the stroke.

I am a more defensive and deceptive style player than an offensive one. More convenient with drop, net, and lift shot than smash. So any advice how to make the adjustment to this new NS 8000?

Or it's just a wasted investment:(.

PS: this forum is very helpful. Thank you

2. blinan8088

blinan8088 Regular Member

IT Programmer
    Hi Sin.sid,

I think you just need some time to get used to the higher tension and your new racket. I just purchased NS8000 too and previously I used Carbonex 8 and IMO these two rackets are completely different. However, after using NS8000 for couple of games, I like NS8000 more and more. So, my suggestion is keep playing with your new racket and enjoy it. :) When you are used to it, you'll love it.

One thing that I like from NS8000 is clearing is never this easy. :D

3. juris

juris Regular Member

night stalker
    Having used the NS8000 for a couple of months, the sweet spot is between the 5th and 6th strings from the head. This is because NS8000 is stiff, much like the AT8000. Hope this helps. :D

4. sin.sid

sin.sid Regular Member

Hi blinan8088,

Ya, I guess I just need to play with it more often :). I'm just thinking if I need to change the string and tension, though. Wondering if it's the equipment or other issues ehm...:rolleyes:.

Anyone can tell me what's the diff between flex and stiff racket (technically)? And why a higher tension gives better control, and vice versa? Sorry if this sounds old or stupid as I don't have much knowledge about badm equipment.

PS: What is IMO???:confused:

Thanks heaps

5. J_M_V

J_M_V Regular Member

Sales
    IMO = In My Opinion. Somebody with a more technical backround can perhaps give a better explanation on shaft stiffness & string tension :eek:

6. loverush

loverush Regular Member

The difference is posted in the equipment FAQ. But bascially, like string, the stiffer the racket, the more control but the less power you will get.

7. blinan8088

blinan8088 Regular Member

IT Programmer
    Hi Sin.sid,

There is a great article from Kwun in BadmintonCentral. I think you might want to take a look at it:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/badminton-central/content/view/91/33/

I quoted from the article to answer your question:

"String tension affects the playability of the string as much as the string itself. The general rule of thumb is that the harder you can hit, the tighter your tension can be. A higher tension rewards a hard hitting while robs power from a light hitter. On the opposite end, a lower tensioned string helps light hitter with a better timed trampoline effect."

This part explains about shaft stiffness:

"The effective stiffness of a badminton racket is similar to the effective of string tension. So I will refer you back to that section. A stiffer racket has the similar effect as a higher tensioned string, while a flexible racket is similar to the lower tension string."

I hope it helps :)

8. sin.sid

sin.sid Regular Member

Hi blinan 8088,

Thanks for your help. Now I understand better :).

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think with ur style of playing, the NS8k will be suitable for u, after some playing time. There's no need to adjust ur own playing style, every time u make a purchase.

NS8k and Cab 8 are totally different rackets, as in stiffness, head shape, length, string tension (for ur case), etc. Therefore, it might take a bit longer for u, than switching btw 2 similar models.