hello there..

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by allensia, Jul 26, 2005.

1. allensia

allensia Regular Member

hi,
    I'am just new here in BC canada, i came from phlippines and have been playing for almost a year, oftentimes i played with mix doubles category, am on the netting (front line, dont know how to name it exactly:) ) if with mix doubles. but i can also play under the doubles women category. i played 3 times a week with different group.
    The reason why i joined this forum is to look for a group player. I want to continued playing even am in BC, Canada. and playing badmiton has been part of my life.
    All of my Philippines friends are encouraging me to keep on playing so that i can maintain nor upgrade my level.
    i would love to join and play with BF menbers.
    thanks

allen

2. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Welcome to BadmintonForum, allensia! :D ... wait a sec, you say you play in the doubles women category? Cause I'd never figure it out from your name.

-dave

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Hey Allensia,

Welcome to BF and welcome to Canada:)! I am sure you'll find Richmond a nice place with lots of drop-in badminton to go to. For starters, search the old threads on the where to play subforum.

Richmond community centers such as Southarm, Cambie, and Steveston has badminton drop-in scheduled on different days and times. There are also private local groups who rent highschool gyms to play such as Richmond Badminton Club (only known private group so far to have a website). But if you want more intense games, check out Vancouver Racquets Club:D. It's in Vancouver so maybe difficult if you don't drive.

4. allensia

allensia Regular Member

hi dave,

i knew this will be a question to anyone. a lot got confused about it. actually am female my real name is melinda, but my nickname is allen.....and am used to be called as allen. sorry for that;)

5. allensia

allensia Regular Member

hi cappy 75,

you mean i can drop by anywhere else and just simply join them:) to play?

6. allensia

allensia Regular Member

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Er... no. You have to pay drop-in fees and it varies from $2 to $10 depending on how old you are (cheaper rate for under 18) and where you play. Check out your local community recreational guide for more details. I have scanned a page of that guide last year. You could probably find it on the forum if you search for it:D. VRC is a private club with very good facility so you can't just drop-in... gotta get invited by members to play there;).

#7 cappy75, Jul 26, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2005
  8. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Oh yeah, since you're new to Vancouver, most drop-in places have a sign-up board (blackboard) where groups of four sign up, first-come, first-serve. When you finish your game, you sign up again, and other people sign up with you as well, you don't need to know them, just sign up and make friends.

VRC has "sign-up" nights as well, on Weds. I've never frequented the drop-ins in Richmond, aside from Richmond Badminton Club, and they have the sign-up sheets in a binder on a desk.

-dave