Asics shoes

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Neil Nicholls, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Anybody had experience with Asics shoes?

All I found in a search was
    Gel-VTR vs Gel-Typhoon

anyone have info about
    Gel Blast
    Gel Tactic
    Gel Rocket

thanks

2. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

Not lately, but I used to wear Asics Tactic a few years ago.

Asics are really well-made shoes, much better than Adidas or Nike. Usually cost a little more too. The pair I had lasted forever, I just bought newer Yonex ones.

3. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

I think their sizes tend to be one smaller? At least the US sizes. I had to go for a 1 or 1.5 size larger than normal for my toes to fit comfortably.

Good shoes, though. They also make excellent running shoes.

4. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

I think that's a difference between the US and UK generally. If you wear UK8 you have to buy a US9, no matter what brand of trainers.

5. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

No, I was comparing my usual US size with Asics printed US size.

6. J_M_V

J_M_V Regular Member

Sales
    I've had a few pairs of Asics Gel Power Play, and have to say that they suited me extremely well. I know they've been generated for floorball (?), but they fit me well for badminton too. I couldn't find them anywhere last year, so had to start using Adidas Stabil (have 2 pairs of them now), which is ok too though even sturdier than Power Play. IMO Asics shoes are A) generated with that specific sport in mind (not usually the fact) and B) long lasting.

In general I'd say that Asics makes the best sports shoes that exist. E.g. Nike might be good for street wear but they are not real sport shoes. For running I don't accept anything else than Asics any more - I've had four consecutive Asics GT series pairs (2040, 2070, 2090, 2100). I guess I'll be in trouble if Asics doesn't export shoes to Finland in future :p . Only con is that they are a bit pricey - just like Yonex :rolleyes: ...

#6 J_M_V, Jul 28, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2005
  7. MikeJ

MikeJ Regular Member

IT Consultant
    I agree. :D

I've been using a pair of Asics for more than two years now (for badminton) and they're still perfectly ok (no tears or holes...etc). The shoe lace holes of my old Adidas badminton shoes ripped after 6 months.

8. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    I have tried alot of brand: adidas, mizuno, yonex, nike, asics and many others. To tell you the truth, I think Asics makes the best shoes.

I'm actually using 2 pair of badminton shoes right now: Shb99 and Asics gel floater. They are about 50US$ difference but I think that Asics Gel floater has a slight edge over the SHB99.

The gel floater is more comfortable and has more shock absorption that the SHB99. I also noticed that they are usually way more durable than other brands.

What I don't like about asics is their design but performance wise, they are hard to beat.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    it baffle me why asics keep the same old design theme year after year.
    It isnt that great looking to begin with. I dont like mizuno logo look either.

#9 cooler, Jul 28, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2005
  10. Birdiegut

Birdiegut Regular Member

Regional sales
    Hi,
    I have used Yonex, Carlton and Ashaway shoes before, but I find Asics shoe especially the shoe's base with the Lizard type of design(or u can call it Star shape design) is the best. I found it to have the best grip when u make sudden halt or change of direction. It gives u a very good grip and prevent u from slipping.When I use Yonex shoe, I nearly fall down when I make a sudden stop in my game. U will find Asics shoes give u better grip whether on wooden flooring or cement flooring. I bought three pairs of this design as in case they dont produce anymore.:D

11. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, if only they would change the design theme it would be nice even tough it doesnt have any impact on the performance. I'm sure they would get more $$$ just by making their shoes looking better :p .

Talkign about Mizuno, I find their shoes to be very good... the only problem is that I find it is a bit high for Badminton. The one I have is Mizuno wave epic 2 and I tried Mizuno stratosphere.

12. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    I thought these shoes are 'marketed' as volleyball shoes. I love my Mizuno Wave Angle 2005:)

13. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Actually some of them are volleyball shoes. ASICS and Mizuno customers in Asia have a better chance of scoring some of their rarer badminton variant models. They all can be used for baddy as they're not so elevated as to compromise lateral movement support. It's just a matter of adapting to them. Mizuno and ASICS are superior quality shoes, you truly pay for what you get in terms of durability and support.

14. ToMitch

ToMitch Regular Member

I don't think the Wave Epic shoe was made for badminton, rather for volleyball.

The only models Mizuno makes that are badminton specific are the Wave Gate, Wave Smash and the Wave Angle series.

A good way to check if a Mizuno shoe is made for Badminton, its model number should start with 7km-xxxxxx. If it starts with 9km-xxxxxx, then it is a volleyball shoe.

15. MikeJ

MikeJ Regular Member

IT Consultant
  16. White_trash

White_trash Regular Member

Has anyone of you tried Asics Gel-Domain? :confused: Should be significantly light (about 100grams lighter than Sensei) and good support and control. Has gel, trusstic and personal heel fit.

17. ErrBerr

ErrBerr Regular Member

Student
    I'm currently wearing a pair of Asics Gel-Rocket. I think that they're 'ok' but I reckon that there are better shoes made for indoor sports by Asics. Personally, I don't like the structure of its shoe sole (the inside of the shoe.. not sure if its the correct term.. soz, lol.. :eek:).. but its structured in a way so its its meant to give more 'support' toward the inside of the foot. Another bad thing that I didn't like about the Gel-Rocket was its cushioning - very poor.. I had blisters on my toes for the first few weeks after playing.. until I wore into them. But I've bought some extra sole cushioing and it feels really good now. But on the up side.. I reckon that they look pretty sleek; a very nice 'clean' and 'simple' look with its color scheme.. the yellow grip under the shoe to compliment its finish.

But hey.. everyone's foot structure and opinion are different.. just my 2 cents on the whole thing.. ;)

18. J_M_V

J_M_V Regular Member

Sales
    Gel Domain is ok, I've tried them. But not really light (392 grams), only some 20 grams lighter than Sensei. They're really sturdy and give quite a good feeling, but I'd still put my money on Gel Power Play (lighter at 364 grams & cheaper & still same feeling as Domain).

19. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I went and tried on some Gel Blast and Tactic. I noticed that "support" but at the time I thought it was like in the SHB-99. They SHB-99 felt funny to me at first but I like them now.

I ended up buying some Gel Tactic, SHB-50 and SHB-58

I've played in the Tactics and 58s so far. the 58s are fine, the Tactics are going back. They're horrible.

20. ErrBerr

ErrBerr Regular Member

Student
    You bought 3 pairs of shoes in one day? :eek: