Badminton 50 years from now

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by paulchow, Jul 28, 2005.

1. paulchow

paulchow Regular Member

In 50 years time how do you feel one or more of the 5 categories (MS, WS, etc.) of top level badminton will be different or similar to the way they are today in terms of:
    central tactics, physiques, skills, fitness, countries that dominate, rules of the game, equipment, coaching, popularity, and whatever you'd like to talk about.

Since these all obviously all going to be total bs anyway, don't bother arguing against someone else's viewpoint, post your own. :)

Here's my theory for MS in 2055::D

The game has become completely centered around aggressive play. The high underhand serve and use of the high clear as tactics have become obselete. The reason for this is that players at the top level have become significantly more explosive and adept at player attacking shots. Smashe's frequently exceed 200mph in games with freakish accuracy and angles while forcing the opponent to guess where it's going. Drop shots are played with better angles and deception, often being violently sliced for deception and effectiveness. To be able to play these incredible angles and produce this power players have also gotten bigger, specifically taller. Players' physiques have become similar to elite volleyball players with average height and weight hovering at 6'4" (193cm) and 210pbs (95kg). As avoiding the lift has become more of an issue, net play has increased in importance. The person who can force a lift from the net, even if it reaches the back line, generally wins the rally. Also all of the top players have developed amazingly deceptive and powerful backhands in an attempt to keep themselves on the offence. During rallies drives have become more common place as players try to force attackable shots out of opponents. Fitness is paramount to maintain the blistering pace of the game and players move with unfathomable speed around the court, frequently cutting off aggressive clears and getting back to pumel high lifts while also exhibiting impressive touch and quickness around the net.

Canada is the dominant force in badminton :D with six of the top 10 players residing in the nation. The best flock to Canada to receive the elite training that makes the players godly.

Badminton is also the most popular sport at the 2056 olympics, and takes up more air time around the world than the second and third most popular sports combined. ;)

#1 paulchow, Jul 28, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2005
  2. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    I like alot of your views for badminton in 50 years hehe.

I think maybe badminton in 50 years will be based on 3 things:

1) Natural talent. I say this because natural talent can easily lead to great skill in every category but most importantly in control.

2) Extreme deception. Even at the pro level, the international players can sometimes deceive each other while playing making very fancy moves. So players will probably get smarter and need a lot more deceptive ability.

3) Mental toughness. Well it's not like we don't use it now, but I think in the future with so much pressure from everywhere and with advances in technology, athletes will be under major pressure to deal with. Mental toughness will certainly be important in staying on top.

Anyway, that's my two cents. :cool:

3. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Quote of the day :D

4. LolAlan

LolAlan Regular Member

Student
    Well think about it, you guys stressed on extreme deception, but then again you said that clears are obsolete. How can you deceive the opponent when he or she know for sure that you're either drop or smash. Without clears you eliminate the effective of deception of drops. Then all you have left is a smash and return drill lasting 15 or however many points.

I think the game will be more aggresive and faster paced. But there will be plenty of attacking clears and deceptive drops.

Since players would be able to get to the backline much faster and set themselves up for a jumpsmash, i think tactics will make a comeback as to how to make the opponent feel the most unconfortable while attacking. i.e. attacking clear to opponents backhand, the placement must tempt them to use a lot of energy to try jump back, go around the head and smash. That sort of thing.:p

5. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    Well from my point of view, clears can never be obsolete. They are so vital to regaining position as well as setting your opponent off-position and clears can never be eliminated from the game nor easily lost in years to come due to evolution of players or advancement of technology.

Deception in strokes are vital and by deception I mean last second taps in different directions or last second clears instead of drops at the net. These types of moves are directly linked to players becoming more offensive, becoming smarter at tactics, and of course being able to read the opponent's shots. It is with these type of last second movements that we realize that everything that we thought to have evolve has really gone down the drain and that we've become much smarter :D

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I hope Canada does not produce robots to play that sort of a game as suggested and stay on top as the World Champs 50 years down the road! :D

I just can't help throwing back into history and visualize the scene 50 years ago. That was about the time when our own badminton maestro, Wong Peng Soon dominated the badminton scene. He was the unofficial world champ when he won the AE in 1950, 51, 52 and 1955. Incidently, he also coached in Canada.

Has the game changed much then compared to now? Not really that much I feel, although greater emphasis is now on speed, power and attacking play. Matches in the 1950's were characterized by long rallies, stroke play, a sort of cat-and-mouse game and greater patience. Some of the old masters have better strokes than the champions of today and they covered the court rather well. Frankly, retrieving a fantastic smash may not at all be too difficult as intelligent players are able to adapt fast. Probably, as in the game of chess, the mind, a superior one at that, will carry the day! ;)

I agree, however, that 50 years hence, much attention will be paid on fitness to sustain the blistering pace on court. Maybe greater reliance on science, technology (for equipment as well) and nutrition to assist players to perform better. Don't forget that the IBF still rules and may impose new rules from time to time.

But to play like superhumans, I doubt! :rolleyes:

7. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    1. Major revolution on racquets like switching from wooden to graphite 20 or 30 years ago. The speed of a smash will over reach 300mph.
    2. No more referees and line judges, all electronics - no more line call disputes.
    3. The games become so fast that aerodynamic clothes and shoes design.

8. Birdiegut

Birdiegut Regular Member

Regional sales
    Badminton 50yrs later

Hi,
    Agreed with Loh, there aren't much changes to the game except speedy n aggressive playing style. Well, 50 yrs is way far n some of us may not be around to see it or maybe too old to hold d racket then. Some of the criterias of good players will be the same. Like good footwork,enduring stamina, good agility, deceptive stroke, tough mental strength n smartness,accurate placement of shots; all these are vital in a competitive game. Well, for a tall player, definitely he has an advantage over the others. Dont need to jump high in order to smash, he too dont need to stretch too much for retrieving drops. As for big size and heavy built player, agility will be a problem. Normally, a bigger built or heavy player is not so agile or have very quick reflexes. This is my subjective observation.
    Lee:D

9. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

I just hope like everyone else that Badminton is the no.1 sport in the world,but i would like to see Badminton get atleast what it deserves in another 10 yrs.

But another important thing is i would still like it to be a Mind Game and not just like some mentioned to be superfast.More deceptive play along with sharp thinking and yet faster play-that's how i want baddy to be and not just players who jump like tarzan without thinking.
    This is one aspect of badminton[the Deception and the ability to outhink your opponent] that is slowly fading,in the sense that power and speed are being given more importance now.[coz if u are so fit and strong that your jump smash can hardly be received then why think twice]
    i would like to see badminton in 50 yrs time to have more speed but at the same time Artistry,Deception and stuff.

10. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    Yes I agree with the built of players. I see badminton only as a sport that a specific body size and type can play well in. You cannot be heavily muscular nor big in anyway. You must be relatively small in mass, but also have the equivalent muscle power. You must be quick and speedy instead of big, heavy, and strong.

This is probably why Asian's naturally perform better at badminton ;)

I personally find that martial arts are the only way you can remind small in mass and yet develop very strong muscles. This is because in weight training, you develop muscle mass whereas in martial arts, you strengthen your muscles. No doubt that some muscle mass is good, but not too much to slow you down and such.

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    your post is generally correct but not about the part of 'Asian's naturally perform better at badminton'. Asians are better because they have better exposure to badminton culturally. Same as cricket in india, hockey in canada, etc etc. Short and tall players are found in all sports. John nash isnt tall but he's a basketball MVP. Ardy wiranata, zhao zhichao, mia audina are not tall but they have won some big titles. Whatever size or built of asians can also be found in any other ethnic groups in america, europe, africa. When badminton become popular worldwide, I guarantee you that china and INA would not own badminton like they do today.

12. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    [size=+2]STEVE[/size] Nash, augh!

Of all the sports figure listed, you gotta stumble on the guy from CANADA (Vancouver Island)???? :D

-dave

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

OK OK, my basketball knowledge is quite limited

14. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

it seems you don't know some famous badminton players' names very well either:p:p

don't you actually mean "GONG" zhi chao? *snickers*

15. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Viva la difference!

Alright, alright! Enough with the potshots:D. Cooler's main point is well taken:).

#15 cappy75, Jul 30, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2005
  16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

ok ok, it was gong, the twitty bird :p

17. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

Hahaha. I like this thread. Its interesting. The only new comment I want to make I can't see someone whos 200+ lbs changing direction very fast.

18. J_M_V

J_M_V Regular Member

Sales
    I hope badminton doesn't evolve into the direction that tennis has gone - most of the top players are "robotic" (both in and off the court) and enormous swing power is a must. But I agree that the top badminton will probably become more and more aggressive, and smash is the biggest weapon. Also the racquet technology will evolve into totally new level, which means even harder smashes. Maybe some of us can check this thread in 2056 and see how close we were :p .

19. loverush

loverush Regular Member

I wonder if it could go the other way. Rather than becoming more and more offencive, the game becomes more defensive.
    Defense has become soo incredibly good that smashes in singles often end in nearly straight drive returns. Players have gotten so accustomed to reading shots that it makes smashes obsolete and they are returned to perfect locations where it is nearly impossible for the smasher to retrieve. Dive saves for smashes also provide perfect returns.
    hehehe just a thought

20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I don't really think that badminton will change very much in 50 years' time. What will happen will be more a synergism of attacking power, deception, defence, and greater physical and mental fitness, trending towards a more balanced player. The game is to a large extent governed by the height of the net, which makes the game of badminton so very different from the low-net games of tennis and table tennis. If the height of the badminton net were to be lowered to that of tennis, many of today's badminton strokes will just disappear. The height of the badminton net is ideal for power, smashes, return of smashes, attacking and defensive clears, drops, cut smashes, high and low serves, deception, and more. What will change is that the game will demand a more balanced all-rounded player, with deception, power, great physical and mental strength, stamina, and scintillating defence being the norm. The ability to jump higher for the ultimate "early take" of the shuttle, backed up by tons of stamina, will be a feature of the future game.