how will u turn after a backhand smash?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by red00ecstrat, Jul 28, 2005.

1. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    same direction as from forehand position to backhand position? or opposite direction?
    for me, same drection. what about u guys?

2. Togey

Togey Regular Member

opposite for me.:D

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Definitely "opposite". Your weight should be on your racket foot, which is towards the back of the court. You can use this to push back -- the reverse of the motion you used to get there.

4. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

opposite direction obviously.U dont want to make a 360 degrees turn and then search where the shuttle is gone.u need to follow the shuttle and hence the opposite direction.

5. red00ecstrat

my weight was on my non racket foot. i can have a pretty powerful backhand smash that way and i guess that's why i need to turn 180 degrees more in the same direction to regain my normal position.

6. event

event Regular Member

I don't know how you could generate any power with your weight on your non-racquet foot. Of course, there is a weight transfer but after the transfer is to your racquet foot and should be there when you finish smashing.

Having said all that, I occasionally turn 360 degrees under special circumstances. I occasionally do a backhand using all snap and no thumb, the way I was taught back in the early 80s. When I do that, my back is completely facing the net and my racquet foot often is further back than my other foot meaning that the number of degrees I need to turn to face the net again is smaller if I continue turning counterclockwise (since I'm righthanded) than if I turn back the way I came. If the smash or other backhand shot is weak or anticipated and the opponent has considerable control over the return, this move of mine is suicide since the opponent's obvious choice is to pop it back over my left shoulder again to keep me spinning. In other words, I can't say I would recommend this move.

Still, I feel I generate more power on a smash with my back turned and using snap and no thumb. Since my back is turned, I have to "search for the shuttle" when I right myself no matter which direction I've turned to face front again.

7. PhoenixMateria

PhoenixMateria Regular Member

I can follow the shuttle pretty well, depending on the opponent's original motion and such, and it's more natural for me to make a complete turn. If I see them going for a drop, I'll turn clockwise (right-handed) and respond.

I'm sure pros out there would chase me down and beat me up, but hey, I'm just a recreational player :cool: .

8. event

event Regular Member

Understood, but the original question pertained to a backhand smash. How could your opponent respond to your smash with a drop?

Did you miss that part of red00ecstrat's question or do you simply use the term "drop" to refer to a short, tight return of a smash?

9. red00ecstrat

i wanna talk a little bit more about my backhand style. it's interesting that if i do a backhand drop shot. after that shot i will make a oppsite turn.
    that's totally different form what i will do after a backhand smash. :p