Some advice for a newbie :)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by CHTHONIC, Jul 29, 2005.

1. CHTHONIC

CHTHONIC New Member

Hey guys,

First post on this website, spent yesterday reading a fair few threads some of which helped a lot.

Background: My main 'sporting' interest is powerlifting/bodybuilding (i'm 6'4 270lbs) , i use to play badminton as a kid and loved it, my training partner and myself thought we'd take it up for cardio purposes as it's a darn-sight more fun than spending an hour jogging or on a crosstrainer :p .

Questions: Due to my strength attributes i could never see myself as a dainty defensive player, so any pointers for a beginners offensive racket would be handy (money isn't an issue). Also i'm a bit weary of my ankles as i'd have a lot of weight pivotting on them, so any pointers for supports & footwear. Anything else you would think is relevant would also be appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Alex.

2. sexytom

sexytom Regular Member

Hey CHTHONIC welcome to BC! where in England are you from? Good choice choosing badminton by the way! Im sure someone with good advice will be posting shortly :)

All I would say is don't waste too much money on a racket if your only just starting. Maybe get a cheap ISO or MP racket

3. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Welcome to BadmintonForum, CHTHONIC! :D I'm not a racket expert, but just thought I'd say hello in welcoming you to the forum and more importantly, to badminton.

-dave

4. J_M_V

J_M_V Regular Member

Sales
    Hi Chthonic,

I started really playing 1 year ago, and my first "real" racquet was Yonex MP77. If you're more into offense then perhaps that would suit you? MP88 could be ok too. I am also using McDavid's right ankle supporter (heavy duty one), which I decided to buy after having twisted my ankle twice. Hopefully you'll have fun with badminton!

5. CHTHONIC

CHTHONIC New Member

Thanks guys,

Where did you purchase these McDavid ankle supports from JMV?

Thanks again,

Alex.

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

This may not be what you want to hear, but....

Strength does not determine whether you are a "defensive" or "offensive" player. Technique and tactics are more important.

Don't think that massive muscles will give you a killer smash. They won't. They can help, however, if you learn to use them effectively.

It's more about how you choose to play the game. As a beginner, you do not yet have the experience to know whether you are defensive or offensive. That will come with time, when you have a better understanding of the game and the way you play.

It's also a painfully simplistic way of categorising your playing style. No good players are purely defensive or offensive -- good players are skilled both in offense and defense, although they often have a slight bias towards one or the other.

So don't worry about getting an "offensive" racket just yet. Just get a racket :) Don't spend lots of money yet; £20 is plenty, or if you are feeling really extravagant spend about £40. Don't spend £90 - £120 on a top Yonex racket.

Of course, if money REALLY is not an issue, then fine -- go ahead and buy a top-of-the-range model. But be aware that, at the moment, you are not getting anything relevant for your money.

#6 Gollum, Jul 31, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2005
  7. loverush

loverush Regular Member

I cannot agree more. It also takes time for you to figure out what kind of racket you really like. WHen I first started playing badminton, I bought a time of the range model. It didn't really do me anygood, and it has recieved alot of abuse during my learning. But in the process, I have learned that I generally prefer more even balance rackets as opposed to the head heavy rackets. This is true even though I am a very offensive player. Even balance rackets also allow me to play fast paced double games alot more quickly.

Anyways, what I suggest you do is try out multiple rackets (do stores in ur area offer testers?). See if you can actually tell the difference in performance between the high range rackets and the mid range and go from there.

#7 loverush, Jul 31, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2005