RULE CHANGE

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by johnboy, Jan 15, 2002.

1. johnboy

johnboy Guest

What change, or amendment would you make to the present rules to improve the game

2. Erik

Erik Guest

As you probably kmow, the scoring system is presently under investigation.

Other suggestions that have been made in the past are placing the
    short service line further away from the net and/or removing the
    long service line for doubles, but as far as I know these things
    have never been tested.

What are your suggestions.

Erik

3. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Well, first and foremost I wish for the scoring business to be settled once and for all.

Also, I find the idea of the "setting" rule very questionable. It's just silly, really. In 99% of 6-all situations the receiver will choose to set to 8. Why even have that option? I say, either the set ends at 7 (or 9, or whatever is decided) or it always goes to 8 if you reach 6-all. The only time I know of when the option not to set was used in International badminton was reported in some article in World Badminton news, when (I think) Björn Joppien chose not to set in a deciding game, because he thought it would provoke his opponent so that he would gain a psychological advantage. He lost.

4. Christian

Christian Guest

Just a comment on the setting question.

I know of quite a few examples where a player has chosen to continue to play to 15 even though there was the other option... some of these decisions have been wise.. others have not..

The one example I remember the best and which others might remember with me is when Isuk Sugiarto (forgive my misspelling) won the Wold Championship MS final in Brøndby-hallen in Copenhagen... 3rd set.. 15-14... as I recall.. I guess that must have been in 1984 or something like that.. (I'm not quite sure.. of anything but the fact that one set was decided 15-14.. I was very young.. ).. It almost blew the stadium away when that match was decided..

My opinion is that this possibility just adds another dimension to the game.. and that it would be a shame to remove this dimension.. so even if they change the scoring I still think they should leave the setting-option open...

5. johnboy

johnboy Guest

I'm still not sure about this new scoring system, they events played with it that i have seen do not seem to have been more exciting, if anything it tended to make it harder to keep track of what was happening when three or more courts were in use, anyway the latest info that is emerging from the Far East seems to indicate that this change will not happen (anyone got any update on this ?).

I suppose the change I would introduce would be to adjust the rules so that the player, or pair, winning the rally would score a point regardless of who was serving.

I would also make it a criminal act for a spectator NOT to make generate as much excitement as the Indonesian and Malaysian crowds... This is particularly aimed at those bizarre English fans who will chant and scream at a football or rugby match, but seem incapable of giving anything other than polite applause in the Badminton Hall

6. trapped-never

trapped-never Regular Member

telecommunication engineer
    Setting

I do not think it is of any benefit to remove the setting option. It is no problem for me If I play a set where I may afford to lose I play to 7.
    I personally would change or improve definition of allowed service. I do not have any proposition how to improve it but I feel that it is not exact enough.

7. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I think that you chose an example from as far back as 1984 speaks for itself. :)

I really don't think the current setting rule is adding depth to the game. So, get out that Occam's Razor and chop it... ;)

8. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    I remember going to a match when I was at school. A big group, including about 40 rowdy boys. Of course these guys were used to football so they just wouldn't shutup. It was great! We definitley helped Steve Baddley win his Semi Finals (Commonwealth Games - can't remember who was playing) Every point he won was met with 40 kids screaming 'Go on Steve' , pretty off putting to an opponent!

9. andreas

andreas Guest

Mag, opting not to set is not all that unusual on the international level. I know of two high profile occurances at the 1999 World Championships alone. Both times the gamble paid off.

In the semifinals, Fung Permadi beat Peter Gade 15:14 in the deciding game, after declining to set.

Camilla Martin even won the championship this way. In the final, she had a huge lead over Dai Yun in the deciding game (something like 10-2), before turning into a nervous wreck and letting her opponent draw even. It was an almost exact repeat of her Sudirman Cup match against Dai Yun just a week earlier, in which she let a similar lead evaporate and lost after setting. This time she didn't have the confidence to play another 3 points and won 11-10.

As dramatic as it was to see one player have match point, only to face match point on the very next point, I too am in favor of changing this rule. Only I'd like to see the game go on indefinitely, until one player reaches a two point lead.

10. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Two-point win

Yes, I too think that would be neat. It would probably prolong even matches though, and I'm not sure this is what the IBF wants... I mean, if they could have their way they'd probably stipulate a time limit for matches, so that it would make planning easier for TV stations! ;) Play for 30 mins, whoever has the most points wins! :D

11. Joseph

Joseph Guest

Re: Line Changes

I like the idea of move and/or remove some of the lines. It is has too many lines now.
    Badminton court is usually sharing space with basketball and volleyball in a gym, and is usually the third in priority, if the lines are painted at all (in U.S.). Any one has thought about utilize existing basketball or volleyball lines?
    And why is the court dimensions are still in feet/inches and have this metric conversion table in 4 decimal places? We should either stick with feet/inches or go for the nearest centimeter.

Joseph....

12. Joseph

Joseph Guest

Re: 7 Points

From a coach¡¯s point of view, with 3 or more matches going at any time, it is very difficult if not impossible to keep track on them all. When it comes to the time to give advise to the player(s), I don¡¯t have anything specific to tell because there is not enough time spend watching the game.
    The games are ending more frequently that makes it difficult to address all the games. The quality of coaching does down. I now focus on the top two players and let assistant coach watch the lower players. Any suggestions?

Joseph....

13. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer

Changing the court dimensions? Is this a joke? The whole game is based around how far a shuttle can travel on a hard underhand shot, so think again!

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor

i agree, there are 890,342 badminton courts all over the world. and no way we are going to repaint all of them.

15. Jump Smash

Jump Smash Guest

Agree!