[video] what's wrong with my smash?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Netasia, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Netasia

Netasia Regular Member

2. loverush

loverush Regular Member

Hard to really say exactly since it is only one smash I am seeing and the video is rather low in quality

But from this video I see:
    1. Improper footwork.
    2. Improper forearm rotation, it looks like you throw alot of your shoulder into it.
    3. Not enough torso rotation. It looks like you barely turn at all and almost always stay square to the net. (or it can be the result of camera angle)

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Actually, your technique looks pretty good. All the elements of a good smash appear to be present, but they just need to be improved upon.

In particular, you need to increase the turn of your shoulders and hips, like Loverush said.

What are the results of your smashes? What is it you want to change? Are they too flat, too slow, or too inaccurate....?

4. MikeJ

MikeJ Regular Member

IT Consultant

(I'm no expert and I don't know if I could do better....) but I agree with what Loverush said (especially with the 3rd point)

It's great thought that you're doing your best to improve. :D Good luck.

5. Big Slick

Big Slick Regular Member

I won't repeat anything that has already been said, but I think that you could use your left arm more.

6. GTO-demon

GTO-demon Regular Member

student
    just one little question... are you holding your racquet the right way??... it looks kind of weird maybe the video is quit hard to see..

7. CG 99

CG 99 Regular Member

student
    Since i can only see one smash, im not sure if you always do this but for a more effective smash you need your weight to be transferring forward when you hit the shuttle. Your weight appears to be going back as you hit the shuttle, resulting in a loss of power.

8. CanuckBur

CanuckBur Regular Member

Technical support.
    Yes, there is something strange about the hand grip. Didn't see much of the hand's pronation. The video is kind of small so it is difficult to see more of the action.

#8 CanuckBur, Jul 31, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2005
  9. reflex

reflex Regular Member

link appears to be down.

10. loverush

loverush Regular Member

Yea the improper grip probably ties into the improper forearm rotation

11. LolAlan

LolAlan Regular Member

Student
    This is about bang on. :) You need to turn your body a lot more so that your shoulders are around perpendicular to the net. Your footwork is missing the sideways shuffle which is much faster and more efficient than your back pedalling. Once again, this is mainly due to the lack of turning. I think your arm rotation will automatically be corrected if you turn enough.

12. Netasia

Netasia Regular Member

thanks all, my smash do not have the power i desired, and after the game, my right shoulder and knee hurts a lot. I started to wonder if there is anything wrong with my technique and now I know why....

P/s: video tapping does helps a lot. anyone wish to put up your video for others to comment, can email me your clip to michaeltky@yahoo.com. I cn put up your video in the Video Blog.

13. azz09

azz09 Regular Member

IT Support
    IMHO.....
    From my analysis after more than 30times viewing your video it seem that u are not smashing....but more like "fast half jumping drive"
    From the way u smash i can feel that ur birdie will go flat/floating & not deep.

Just my 2 cent...:)

14. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

I see that you could make a bigger follow trough, But, the bird seem to have came back quickly so it's maybe because of that

15. huynd

huynd Regular Member

I think you did not execute a full power smash, since the shuttle went flat (like a punch clear), and you had little time to react. From your video, i see little swing back movement. Another thing is that theres something wrong with your scisors jump.

16. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    A lot of the problems I see relate to timing. The jump seems to mistimed with the swing. I also agree the torso rotation is off, which I believe is the problem witht he scissor kick. There is minimal hip movement.

17. LolAlan

LolAlan Regular Member

Student
    hey i don't know why people aren't stressing on this :eek: , but you've gotta turn your torso more, thats the basis of your problem which leads to all the bad footwork, follow through mentioned... Just turn yourself perpendicular to the net in preparation and remodel your swing according to this new torso movement. Seriously lol...turn. Thats the key you're missing. :)

18. Netasia

Netasia Regular Member

hmm....seem like it's nothing like a smash technique i have there. I do agree that I have serious problem with the timing. Now that I know the problem, I still struggle to correct them.

19. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Don't stress over it! Like I said before, you should be aware that most of the technical elements are already there -- you just need to tweak them :)

Work to improve one element at a time. I suggest you start by checking that your grip is right, and then focus on turning your shoulders and hips more.

20. loverush

loverush Regular Member

yes one step at a time..
    Grip, than work on your footwork, since your footwork will also force you to turn yopur body..