Positioning after a push return to left mid-court?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by rico, Jan 16, 2002.

1. rico

rico Guest

In doubles, when receiving (I am right-handed) a serve to the "T" on the left-side court, I often try to push a forehand/slice-panhandle shot to the server-side midcourt near the alleys, too far back for the server to play (on his backhand if right-handed), and low enough to force the server's partner standing backcourt to hit up, rather than smash or drive. I find this a pretty effective tactic to gain the offensive in the rally right away, most of the time. Nonetheless, sometimes my partner and I get confused as to the proper formation after such a shot. Do I follow my shot and cover the net? or do we split and take sides, as if the push return represented a clear of sorts?

I and my badminton friends play at a reasonably advanced level, so most of the returners of my return either do an underarm backhand clear deep to the left sideline (or a flatter shot to the deep right side) if they see the net covered, but if we take sides, they tend to drop to the middle of the net.

Any thoughts out there?

Rico

2. johnboy

johnboy Guest

Re: Positioning after a push return to left mid-co

As I assume you are talking about receiving a short serve, then surely to play the shot in question effectively, you must have moved into the serve to play the push or at least shifted your weight forward.

I would suggest that as you are going forward you should stay forward. Ask yourself what sort of returns to you usually get from this tactic. I would think that the two most common returns are blocks to the net down the line of high straight drives or lifts. Leave the drives to your partner and concentrate on dominating the net to force the lift.

3. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech

Think of it this way, when you are the attacking pair, one of you tend to be in front at the T to kill any net shots whereas the back player will be smashing any clear shots. Footwork is important as you don't really want to be caught flat footed when the opponents do a drive shot back.

In doubles, you should be rotating with your partner. That is, when he is front, you are back, when he's back you're back and when he plays a corner front shot, you should be back ready to cover the back corner.

You also got to be careful with your push return if you consistently pushes to the same place because the server could be ready for that and do a overhead return which could come back really quick at you.

4. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer

I say follow up to the net. If your push is decent your opponents will have to lift or do a weak return to the net, and in both of those cases you should be in a front-back attacking formation.

5. Dan

Dan Guest

Yes, I do that quite often and I follow up front. With this, the return will either be very high clear (to avoid you) or to drive right fast at you or to your left side. This way, the person returning will have to be accurate and may make mistakes. If he/she were to clear, then you will be placed in an attacking position.