One week till world meet but no visa for Hafiz yet

Discussion in 'World Championships 2005' started by ants, Aug 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TheStar

KUALA LUMPUR: World Championships-bound shuttler Mohd Hafiz Hashim is still sweating it out over his visa to the meet in Anaheim, California.

With only one week before the team's departure for the world meet, the 22-year-old Hafiz is the only one from the 21-member squad without a visa for the trip.

The world meet is from Aug 15-21 and the players will leave in two batches on Aug 11.

Last week, on Thursday, the Malaysian squad skipped the morning training session to sort out their visas at the United States of America embassy. Except for Hafiz and Wong Choong Hann, all the visas for the others were processed immediately.

Choong Hann was asked to leave his passport at the embassy and got the clearance for his visa on Tuesday.

As for Hafiz, there has not been any news yet.

Former All-England champion Hafiz is hoping to get the all-clear soon to enable him to fly to the US next Thursday.

“My passport was returned to me and I was told to go back after a five-minute interview last Thursday with an assurance that they (the embassy) will get back to me.

“My passport is still with me. They have not called me yet. It has been a week and I am getting a little worried,” said Hafiz after a training session at Stadium Juara in Bukit Kiara yesterday.

“I have informed the BAM (Badminton Association of Malaysia) and chief coach Yap Kim Hock about this.

“This is frustrating. All the players have been cleared but I have to go through this anxious moment. I understand that there are strict measures involved here.

“But I am just a badminton player who has qualified for a world meet and eager to go to the US.”

Hafiz, ranked world No. 8 and expected to be seeded eighth at the world meet, however, said he would not allow the visa woe to bother him during training.

“When I am on the court, the concern over my visa is at the back of my mind. The training has been tough for me the last few weeks. The one-week weight training was good and I am still recovering from it,” said Hafiz.

“The match practice has been crucial for me in training. A player has to be physically and mentally strong to do well and I am trying to strike a balance here. With my physical condition better now, I am channelling my energy on the tactical part of the game.”

On his chances in the world meet, Hafiz, who was announced as the eighth seed by the International Badminton Federation (IBF) yesterday, hopes to justify his seeding.

“The aim is to reach at least the top eight. Out of the eight top players, I am the underdog. But I believe I have an equal chance to win the title.

“The draw will be out tomorrow (today). I do not have any preference on which player I hope to avoid.

“The only two players that I have never beaten are Lin Dan of China and Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia. I am ready to face anyone there,” he added.

Hafiz, who won the back-to-back Swiss and Thailand Open titles this year, was a second round casualty in his first world meet at Birmingham two years ago.

He did well when he’s not given a high seeding like in the 2002 Thomas Cup Finals in Guangzhou (he upset Bao Chunlai to help Malaysia beat China 3-2 in the semi-finals), 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester (champion) and the 2003 All-England (champion).

While happy with Hafiz’s performances in training, national coach Misbun Sidek hopes that the BAM would help to resolve the visa matter quickly.

“We (as coaches) are powerless. This is an administration matter and I will leave it to the BAM to help sort it out. It is pointless to train so hard and not go because of visa problems,” said Misbun.

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Another victim of the strict US regulation. :(

3. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

I think they figure Hafiz has a chance and do not want him to compete :crying:

4. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Probably not a co-incidence that Hafiz is a Muslim.

5. ants

ants Regular Member

There are few muslim's in the group who have already left for annaheim.

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i hope he hold his mental strength. This is very nerve racking.

#6 cooler, Aug 4, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
  7. ants

ants Regular Member

I think once his visa is approved.. he will give his all out. Imagine , you trained and look foward to the tourney , then have to turn you down due to Visa.. he will be fine.

8. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Maybe the US Sports Council caught wind of the legendary Malaysian (lack of) mental toughness syndrome, and decide to "sweat" Hafiz.

-dave

9. ants

ants Regular Member

If they do that.. they might as well hold the whole msian contingent of players to Anaheim.. that should get all the players tested! heheh

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

it's just showmanship of US homeland security forces. Terrorists rather go thru the US-mexico borders instead where security gaps are so big u can drive a truck thru it.

11. Angelou

Angelou Regular Member

Yeah it would of been nice if they could of hosted the World Championships in a more neutral country (eg. Canada), so that people like Hafiz wouldn't have to deal with US security ! but then I don't know if there are any stadiums stuitable enough to host the WC in Canada.

On a side note, since I don't know that much about sport eligibility, how does a muslim play for an indonesian team ? I thought you had to be born in the Country inorder to play for that team. Which makes me wonder how Mia Audina played for the Netherlands.

12. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    huh:confused: wat do u mean how does a muslim play for indonesia? i mean 90% of indonesia's population are muslims
    so, hafiz cant go becos hesa muslim, thats silly of them, as a fellow muslim i feel,,,weird,,,like thats so unfair,,,
    but taufik and flandy are muslims,,so maybe its not that,,

13. ants

ants Regular Member

Lets not make this thing a big fuss ok. :) Just sincerely hope that Hafiz can go and play in the WC.

14. khwong

khwong Regular Member

Self Employed
    hmm i am very sure this visa snag will be sorted out real soon.
    hafiz just need to concentrate on his training programme and game.

15. Slugs

Slugs Regular Member

... and the same should befallen Taufik.

16. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

US homeland security are very silly and plain stupid. Instead of throwing up an issue with Hafiz, they should be concentrating on catching the real crooks. Why go through all this on a badminton professional with a proven track record. What, are they afraid he will go on rampage with his racket in U.S.A?!!!!!!

US is sending out all the wrong signals by doing this, the whole Malaysian contingent apart from Hafiz had no issues, and they are not Muslims. What does this sound like? Also, when Malaysian ex-prime minister DR. M went to US invited personally by Bush, he was body searched in the airport, but his non-muslim ministers were not!!!!! THIS IS DISGRACEFUL, and to think they had they nerve to bid for olympics. I am so glad London got it.

I am not a Muslim myself, but I am Malaysian and I feel sad for all my Muslim friends. US of A, GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER AND STOP ACTING LIKE A KID!!!!

#16 wl2172, Aug 5, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2005
  17. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Keep also in mind that between 5 and 8 MILLION of the US population are muslims.

18. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

The more reason they should get their act together.

19. happy go lucky

happy go lucky Regular Member

Hehehe you damn right. CIA should take your advice.

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

like i said, it's just showmanship and acts to show amercians US gov't is acting tough. Even that, airports security are still a joke except for the major centers. A self confessed Al Qaeda agent (a woman) for osama bin laden said she had travelled in and out of the US more than 290 times (last count) with no problem. She get special stuffs for osama like satellite phones, batteries, notebooks, and other gizmos. I had posted before (later deleted) about suitcase nukebombs already in US soil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.