Does racquets matter??

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Pokla, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Pokla

Pokla Regular Member

Student
    Does the racquet one uses matter when s/he start learning badminton?

Racquets are generally either heavy-head or mid-point-balance (I'm not sure about the professional terms :confused: ). I've been told that I better start with a balance racquet so I can improve more quickly when I train. But then I'm not sure whether it is the case. Cos I have in my mind that whichever racquet I use doesn't really matter that much. I'm now using a heavy-head racquet (I didn't know that the time I bought it) and it is doing well for me.

I'm wondering if either of these two kinds of racquets favours a person who are quite new to badminton and wants to improve (i.e. myself), or it really doesn't matter that much for such a person.

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Yes, racquet does matter for beginner. It will shape the playing style of a player. I will suggest you to get a tube of feather shuttle as bribe. Explain to more experienced players that you are a beginner and if it is ok to try out one of his/her racquet (may be say older one) so you can make a decision on what you should buy. You should use your shuttle as a courtesy and try it out if you can drive and clear long shots easily. Get the one you like during these practices.

And yes, a mid balance is a good choice because it is easier to adapt different racquet when you change your style. Head heavy racquet is another choice because it is easier to produce power.

Good luck and have fun.

#2 silentheart, Aug 5, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2005
  3. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

i'm a beginner too and one thing i find is that it's actually good training playing with a 'difficult' racquet (stiff + >22 lb tension) because you really have to hit the shuttle correctly.

Just because you cannot do full length clears with a racquet doesn't mean the racquet is not suitable for you. Let the racquet train you until you can do full length clears with it :) I have a 2nd more forgiving racquet of course for fun or when i get tired.

4. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    Wow i don't think you should suggest a beginner to use a stiff and high tension racket for practice. I've hurt myself plenty of times just using my flexible racket at 20 lbs by hitting it incorrectly. Stiff rackets may cause serious injury to a beginning player.

5. adidas_lee

adidas_lee Regular Member

Regional sales manager
    Choice of racket for beginner

Hi,
    Agreed. Beginner should not use high tension,stiff racket for practice. She or he should learn basic skills of badminton first using a slightly low tension, well balanced racket before acquiring a higher strung tension n stiff racket. Mishit n incorrect swings may cause injuries.;)
    Adidas:D

6. Noob848

Noob848 Regular Member

:D heh you cud get an AT500 its says its head heavy but its so light it makes me feel its even balanced

7. adidas_lee

adidas_lee Regular Member

Regional sales manager
    balanced racket

Hi,
    I have not use AT 500 before but I did use AT 800 Off n AT 800Def before. U need to look at yr physique, arm strength and swing to determine whether a certain racket is balanced or headlight for u. This will be subjective. :D That is why some prefer 2U while other prefer 3U or even 4U. Overall, I think Nanospeed 8000 is more balanced and easily manoevred racket. ;)
    Adidas

8. Pball

Pball Regular Member

mmm.. is 22 lbs considered high over there?? Just curious. thanks

9. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Personally I don't consider 22 is high since when the strings break in it's going to stablize around 20 anyways. For me I string mine at 22.6 because of the way the strings break in on my racket.

I do agree that a suitable racket which suit's a beginner's style of play should be used. When I started, I had a racket which didn't suit me to begin with at the time - around the time when the Swing Power's came out (SA - head light), I tried those and it help me a lot with development and still using this racket to this day.

10. Noob848

Noob848 Regular Member

well matt maybe you should invest in a new racket? it might further bring out your potential, maybe a muscle power or an armortec? FYI AT700 feels reallly bad i don't know why but i demo'd one and it didn't feel right it had alot of power because of its smaller sweetspot, anyways AT500 if you can't afford to buy AT800 off/def

11. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Hi Noob848:

I mainly like headlight rackets compared to head heavy ones.

Currently I have set asisde some money(I have to pay school tuition) to obtain a racket or two. The ones I have in mind is the NS7K and Ti SP SA or 900 SA. The Swing Powers in particular or hard to find but an authorized dealer has managed find a place which can source a Ti SP SA (JP version). Right now I'm waiting for a response if the 900 SA can be located since the dealer is at the ISF World Championships and he'll be checking with other dealers from other countries to find out the answer for this racket.

If a 900 is available, I would take that one first, if not then the Ti version. The 7K, I'm not sure since Tad's still doesn't have them in stock because of the back log from the port. Apparently since the shipment was the first to come during the strike (from what a Yonex rep mentioned to Tad's), so they are stuck way at the back because the stuff which came the latest will go out first (it should of been the other way!!).

I'm still looking into options considering I wont' be able to play badminton until the summer once again.

Matt

#11 Matt, Aug 17, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  12. Noob848

Noob848 Regular Member

Hi matt,

Have you considered the cab 30 ms ? i heard it lives up to the cab name

13. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I haven't considered looking into the Cabs - do own a Cab22. The only thing I've done to a 30ms is to touch it and swing it a bit at Tads.

14. Noob848

Noob848 Regular Member

wut did u think of it? personally im not a big fan of cabs

15. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    My cab 22 or the cab 30 I tried?

16. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Oh yes, I just came home from Tad's. Just purchased a the original Cab 20 CP - gotta try that!

17. Noob848

Noob848 Regular Member

hehe i just came from from sending my AT500 to abbies to string :eek: , what a coincidence, both out at shops to do things with badminton :D

18. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Hehehe yup. Glad I finished my work at 2 ! =)

19. Noob848

Noob848 Regular Member

Did you try it out yet?

cuz i can't till i get my racket 2 morrwo morning -.-

20. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    A little, hitting tiny shots in the house (don't want to damage things!!). Won't be able to give a proper response until the weekend when I can actually play.

The shots appears to be very stable with this racket during impact. Feels light even thou it's a 2U.