Coaching a team

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by SomeDudeInBlue, Aug 5, 2005.

1. SomeDudeInBlue

SomeDudeInBlue Regular Member

Student
    Hello, I need help coaching a team of badminton players. Let me try to explain myself why I am trying to succeed in my goal.

I am a Junior in Highschool in the US. Our school has a badminton team, which is about 4 years old now. Our team is part of a high school badminton league that conisit of 5 other schools, making the league only 6 schools. Every year we play each school and play each other again in the league tournament to determine which players in each subdivision (mix, single [men and women], doubles [men and women]) will proceed to the state finals and so forth.

I have been playing badminton since I was in Junior High and I truely love the sport. It was the only thing my two eldest brother can brag at me about. It's a great and wondful sport. When I joined High School, I was excited about the Badminton team. Badminton is not as popular as football or basketball at out school. if you walk in the hall way and stop someone to ask them about badminton, they would have no clue. I walked into my Weight Training class one day with my racquets on my back and my friend said "Good luck in your tennis game."

I am not the best in the team, I admit, because I play the sport for fun and competetion of course, but our team is broken. I have been playing badminton ever since I was in Junior High. I had tips an from my two eldest brothers. They even gave me my first racquet for my birthday, the yonex Ti-7 Light. I still have and use it today. I envy our coach for starting our badminton team, but I dislike the way he coaches the sport. He's there, in my opnion, to obtain the title and money from coaching. His ideal of training is "rally your hardest". It's truely depressing to have a coach that can't beat you or teach you anything new. Our more professional members don't even help the newer players. They are too obess with playing harder against each other to bother with the newer players.

This year, most of our pros and graduating. I play okay. I am ranked number one men double with my parther last year in our school. We played our games and win, but our school games would still lose because of the unprepaired players. Last year I was so occupied teaching the new players the basic that my partner and I were pushed down a rank. I was upset of course, but I didn't care because the newer players are the school's team future. My partner and I agreed and I am trying to coach the players even better.

I do not blame the coach. I just want the teams to play better. Now the up coming year, they are consider intermediate. They learn the basics. It's time for them to understand stratergies and when to and when not do certain moves. I am not a very good teacher in my opinion. I get upset when the newer players don't progress as fast as I want them. I also get upset when they are cocky and stuff.

The up coming year is going to be harder for me to give them tips and stratergies. I have no idea what to tell them and stuff. I tell them how to train themselves, what kind of muscle they should work it (thanks to my weight training teacher I understand the muscles being used in badminton), theya re not beginers anymore. They probably will teach the new players this up coming year the basics. But I dont know how to teach them new stuff. It's hard.

So I came here for help. I thought maybe badmintoncentral.com might help once again. Iappreciate any tips and suggestion given. I want the school to be decent when I graduate, that's my second goal in school.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
  3. toddster

toddster Regular Member

Grad. Student PE instructor
    Hang in there!

Hello SomeDudeInBlue,

Since you are in the U.S., I would recommend contacting your USA Badminton Regional Officer. Also, the Level 1 coaching information is on the usabadminton.org website. The author is Mohan Subramaniam, former Asian Badminton Confederation Developmental Director.

If you are in the Southern California area, please keep your eye on the www.scbabadminton.org and or the www.ocbadmintonclub.com wesites. I believe OCBC wants to organize a clinic for coaches.

I understand your frustration, I have come out of a similar situation. Just remember to have fun and enjoy the game. ;)

Take care,
    Toddster

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Hi SomeDudeInBlue,

I am amazed with ur effort and the heart for ur team as well as the sport. We definitely need more ppl to step up like u, to let the general public to know the game the correct way, and promote the sport itself.

I am not an expert in coaching, but one thing I want to metion is, u need to stay calm with ur fellow teammates / students, especially when they are below the expectation. Think this way, what could be worse than harsh statement and "evil look" :D, when they need some encouragement the most? Losing ur cool, can only damage the relationship in btw, but not helping them improve either physcially or mentally.

Personally, I love the ideas of watching VCDs. Hiring a coach is costly, never have to mention it's a slap to the face to the current one. If most of ur teammates are fairly new to the game, get some training VCD to learn the basics, might be a good thing to start with.

5. SomeDudeInBlue

SomeDudeInBlue Regular Member

Student
    Thank you for the advices! I truely appreciate the suggestions and ideas. I noticed the samething about me too and it's hard not to get fustrated, but I am okay with it right now :D

I never knew there was such fundings for badminton! Too bad we live in Northern California. I hope their organization would some day reach North California!

I don't think I can just tell the coach, "Please check this website for more tips" but I will try to talk to him politley. So far the website only released level 1 and level 1 is kinda easy to teach.