Single Serving

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by quik_silver, Aug 5, 2005.

1. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    Can someone kind even to show me a diagram where should my single serving spots are? I am having a lot of trouble knowing where should my serves goes for single...

2. Me-0w

Me-0w Regular Member

Well, according to my coach, anywhere from 3 inches in front of the back line, to the back line. And it should be fairly high.

3. splinter

splinter Regular Member

Student
    try to serve to the far end corner too.. they would not try to smash it from there as the shuttle would have slowed down significantly when it is at ur court..

4. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    if you are going to serve short go for the front corners but make sure its low over the net, if your going for the back make sure its nice and high and once again make sure that you go for the corners (right to the back line). i think thats what your asking right?

5. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

but not right in the corners, leave yourself a margin for error.

6. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    Oh thank you so much guys!! :D I really appreciate it! Hopfully your tips will help me improve my single matches! :D

7. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    Down the middle, really really high, try to hit the back line. If it falls vertically down, contact with the cork is harder as the feathers is in the way (someone verify/correct me on that), as well as distance judging/timing is harder.

8. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    dont forget that short serve once in a while!

9. aerotus70

aerotus70 Regular Member

See if your opponent is right or left handed.

If right handed
    serve near to the middle back line of court if you are standing on right side of court.
    serve to the corner left hand side before the box if u on left side.

Left handed just invert.

Also if u use this many times your opppnent will react, thats when short serve comes in.

10. other

other Regular Member

Student
    yup very true, however difficlt to do with feather as they dont drop the same

anyways, depends on ur style of play and ur opponent's style of play

good defense, opponent slow and not a killing smash, then serve high and long, even maybe not too high but still long.

if opponent is strong from the back, but lack net shots, fine control, serve short and jump on the return.

just go with what works against each person, but vary it as well without disrupting urself

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It's the other way around. You can't perform as good a high serve with plastics, because they don't drop the same. Feather shuttles, when hit very high, will fall directly downwards -- whereas plastics will continue moving backwards.

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes, serving very high (bird comes down vertically/perpendically) and deep (particularly within the baselines for singles and doubles) and close to the centre line (middle, in the right not wrong court) will deprive (or nullify) your opponent of the options of returning the shot in very acute angles as opposed to serving to the left or right corners.

High serves are particularly effective as it pushes your opponent right to the back and gives you more time to react to the situation. This is more effective against a less powerful player (with an average smash). Against players that are fast and powerful, one should attempt more of a variety of the short serve. Here again, the low serve must be really low to avoid a quick darting attack from your nimble opponent.

As the serve is the first shot of a rally, do not waste it by hitting the shuttle badly which can be killed by your opponent or worse still killed by yourself by hitting into the net! Take time, steady yourself and really execute a very good serve to put yourself in the driver's seat. A good serve is indeed an excellent armour against any opponent. ;)

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Your singles serve should include very high serves, short and low serves, and flick serves. By using a variety of serves, you, not your opponent, sets the pattern of play. The high singles serve should include both serving to the corners and the T in the middle. Each has its own pluses and minuses, depending on your opponent. If your opponent is very strong in his overhead shots your high serve will be directed to a place away from his strong weapon.