Always drop to the middle?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Creative, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Creative

Creative Guest

When doing drop shots, do you always aim for the middle section so both opposing players miscommunicate? A Hong Kong national team player in the 60's and 70's told me this tip he always uses. He told me whenever you drop forehand or backhand always aim for centre section of the net as both opposing players will likely back off. After, I've tried this tactic with pretty good success.

2. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    That is one of the reasons. But this depends on the positioning of your opponents. If they are already in an attack position, where one of them is nearer to the front, you will have to watch where you drop. If they are relatively neutral and even in terms of distance to the midcourt net, this is a good strategy.

Another reason for dropping in the middle is that it will lessen the chances of opening up your own court. Whenever you do an extreme drop (one side or the other), unless your opponents are caught completely off-guard, chances are you will open up an area in your own court side where it would be difficult for you or your partner to reply. But those are the chances to take when playing.

3. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    This is a sound principle -- if we're talking level doubles and if they are in defense formation.

A word of warning though: if you have to take a backhand shot (as you suggested) your side will probably lose the initiative. If your opponents are any good they will, as soon as they see you are taking the backhand, realise that they have gained the upper hand and quickly reform to front-back attacking formation... And in such a case a drop to the middle can be very dangerous.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i think i see international players do that as well. their default location to drop is the middle of the court. and then they varies from time to time.

5. ligak

ligak Guest

Your question is just like : do we always smash to the middle? In badminton we should varied our shots. Don't let your opponent read your game, preasure them with every shot you take. Don't use ALWAYS in your shots.

6. Creative

Creative Guest

If my oppenents are playing defensive mode(side to side) then I drop down the middle. Let them miscommunicate and let my team win an easy point.

7. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
  8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Assuming everybody on court are right handers.....

You are playing a drop from the extreme right hand back corner.

If you play directly to the centre;
    1) confusion may occur but not for a lot of the time
    2) the one receiving the drop can play to your backhand corner quite easily

Why would reply 1) occur? Because of you played other shots from that position, so variation is important.
    What would happen in scenario 2)? You most probably have to move to play a defensive shot.

Another option is to play a straight drop slightly to the right hand side of the directly opposite opponent. The shuttle is not quite in his comfort zone for a forehand shot aiming the shuttle diagonally away from him. Therefore he is less likely to play a good shot to your backhand and you have more chance of maintaining the initiative.