Inconsistent Performance

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by HenryY, Aug 7, 2005.

1. HenryY

HenryY Regular Member

ok, i'm new to this forum.
    so hello to all other forum members.

my problem is when i train at my badminton club i can play pretty well,
    doing all the shots and stuff.

but when i participate in a tournament, my performance is usually below how i would play during training matches and i would get frustrated and lose the match.

any others experience this?

2. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Welcome to BadmintonForum, HenryY! :D

When there's a tournament looming up, I know club players routinely seek out and visit other clubs in the Vancouver area to test their training and also to play against "new" players.

When you train at your club and play with the regulars, everyone there is familiar with your style of play and how to counter, and similar, you to their style. So to further your exposure, you should try to play against strangers, to develop your skill further, instead of relying on familiar strategies and placement of your fellow club members.

-dave

3. HenryY

HenryY Regular Member

thankyou for your advice, so i guess i should play more with different people =)

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Tournaments need a different psychology as well. Play more tournaments and the more comfortable you will feel.

This occurs at the very highest levels of the game as well.

5. PhoenixMateria

PhoenixMateria Regular Member

I'm the relaxed, cool type of guy. I only participated in one tournament, but I didn't play any differently from usual. Maybe it's because I tend to play without worrying about anything, moving naturally. It also helps not to get tense at 14-14 match point and such.

So my advice is to just play without any other thoughts disturbing you. That way you'll play at your full capacity. To some people it's natural, but for others it's a skill that has to be mastered.

6. psplrd

psplrd Regular Member

Well...
    I don't know about you but I tend to think too much during a game. Simple and familiar rallies helps you to deliver strokes and smashes with confidence and high quality. The more consistent you played and less mistakes you made, the easier it is to win a game!! :cool:

7. Djiban

Djiban Regular Member

badminton addict aka baddict
    yea happened to me too...i tend to get nervous when playing in tournaments (couple times). I just try to join more tournaments to get used to practice my mentality...

8. HenryY

HenryY Regular Member

wow, thanks to everyone's replies.

i guess finally realized that when i play in tournaments i tend to get nervous and get distracted to thinking about the match points instead of doing quality shots.

i will try to focus more on doing quality shots instead.