Video of the sidek serve?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Togey, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Togey

Togey Regular Member

is there a video? if not can someone record themselves doing it and upload it to megaupload

2. CG 99

CG 99 Regular Member

student
    As i've never seen sidek play, i was just wondering what is different about his serve?

3. schmoey

schmoey Regular Member

apparently a type of service where you would slice the feathers of the bird (backhand or forehand... usually seen with backhand), as opposed to hitting the head of the shuttlecock... this causes it to tumble "randomly" over the net and can throw your opponent off..

kinda cheap, so that's why they had to change the rules lol

4. glencomienda111

glencomienda111 Regular Member

manager
    ive seen them train and play, but i didnt see them use the s-serve, i was tempted to asked them to teach me but they were quite busy training, maybe when they get back after the world championships:) s-serve is made by making a backhand serve but holding the cork/head instead of the feathers so that the contact point of the racket head is the feathers and not the cork. making the shuttle fly in different-crazy-wild directions. but remember its an illegal serve.

5. Togey

Togey Regular Member

If you hit the feathers, won't that just break the feathers?

I'm clueless, wheres a video :)

6. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

There is a long history about the s-serve.it's illegal now though,so how come u are interested?

7. Togey

Togey Regular Member

'cause my friends don't know it's illegal :)

8. splinter

splinter Regular Member

Student
    i saw my coach did that before.. he was doing sort of a demo when we asked him qns about serving..

apparently.. the serve is the same as others.. in the normal service.. the shuttle would be just put in front of the racket and one would push it to serve..

the s-serve is still the same.. however upon striking the shuttle.. the racket is either sort of "pulled up" at the same time hitting it.. so when the shuttle (the side of it) is put flat on the string.. the "pulling" action causes a spin on the feathers and thus.. the illegal s-serve..

yeah.. its something like tat..

9. schmoey

schmoey Regular Member

ohh.. okay, so you the contact point is at the SIDE of the feathers.. not right at the pointed feather tips?

10. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    There's a reason why's it's illegal. I played against someone who performed this serve. It's in a casual game setting. So who cares, right?

Basically, I relegate these players as the same as those who serve from almost the rear of the service court, close to the sidelines, and try to catch the receiver on the backhand stroke ... i.e. plain silly. It becomes a trickster stroke instead of skill.

-dave

11. splinter

splinter Regular Member

Student
    Yeah.. its the side of it.. but I'm not too sure whether issit which side as in which direction should the cork point to in order to twist the shuttle in flight..

12. schmoey

schmoey Regular Member

when you pull it up.. is it supposed to "roll" off, or is it actually a striking action?

13. splinter

splinter Regular Member

Student
    i would say that it would be normally how you would serve (a flick of the wrist) plus the "roll" off..

14. viver

viver Regular Member

Hi Dave,
    I personally think to do a good spinning serve (not Sidek) needs some skills. If the server can tell how the shuttle would travel (i.e. sideways, floating up-down) and landing consistently within a foot where the server expects needs some skills.

I also agree with the IBF decision to ban this serve. The receiver usually have a tough time attacking these serves, as the shuttle accelerates and decelerates during its flight - i.e receiver sees the shuttle coming up slowly off the server's service, rush to the net waiting to pound only to find the shuttle suddenly changing the speed and flight pattern. This caused a lot of receivers missing the shuttle and the safest way was to lift it.

At first, I believe many better doubles teams underestimated the effects of this serve. Many not so good doubles teams, just practiced this serve and smash to beat the better teams. After banning this serve, the results were more predictable and the matches more enjoyable.

For those looking for videos of the spinning serve have to look for games between 1976 - 1982. I say 1976, because the first time I saw this serve was during the 1976 HK Invitational tournament. If anybody have this tape, you might see, to my knowledge, the first player who used this serve - Tang XinFu.

15. wood_22_chuck

Electronics Technologist
    Yeah, I agree a good spinning serve performed will needs skill and is effective. What I dislike are casual players who try this serve to get a cheap point. I hate cheap points :D

With exception, of course! E.g. flick serves are tolerable. :)

-dave

16. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    What do you consider as cheap points?? Any legal points is considered ok for me...

17. wood_22_chuck

Electronics Technologist
    Plenty.

Servers who stand wide and far behind from the "T", aiming for backhand of receivers. Servers who attempt the banned S-service, but can't capitalize on the high lift after, counting on the receiver to hit the return wide, people who mercilessly target the weaker player in a casual game, people who deliberately aim for body shots when the other side has conceded by turning away.

This is a personal view. Of course many are legal, but, cmon ... let's play badminton. There are some players that want to win at all cost.

-dave

18. greentribe

greentribe Regular Member

What I noticed is that the s-serve is like a screw ball, that always been done by ping pong players. The speed and landing is unpredictable. In my country there are a few players did the s-serve. When playing double I found that when my partner do the s-serve, the return ball from the receiver is so offguard that I could not smash or make arrangement for attack. Some players think that by giving s-serve could be a difficulty to their opponents but in fact, the opponents might know how to destroy the s-serve. And I also found that doing tricky serve is a very big lost in a competition and a waste of time and energy.

19. Togey

Togey Regular Member

video? pleeeze :(

20. Xaviman

Xaviman Regular Member

yes if anyone have a video of this serve, please upload it