POSITIONING

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Tony, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Tony

Tony Guest

WHEN PLAYING MENS DOUBLES IS IT BEST TO HAVE ONE PLAYER AT THE FRONT OF COURT AND ONE COVERING THE BACK?ALSO WHEN SERVING IS IT BEST TO SERVE RIGHT FROM THE FRONT OR THE BACK OF THE COURT.THANKS

2. Valentino

Valentino Guest

well if one in the front and the other in the back ur on the offensive actually. and ( i think) its best to serve as close to the fron as u can get, having ur partner stand in the back. even lean forward if u can, so that u can serve very close to the serve line, or do a quick deep serve . btw im talking about the backhand serve here

3. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    If you are playing men doubles, I would think that your partner would be offended if you start serving from the back of the court forcing him to play front/net. Positioning in doubles would depend on the play; if you are attacking, then it is more likely that you will be in the front/back position and for defense, you will most likely be in the side-side formation.

The whole idea with serving is to regain the offensive since the nature of serving put you in a defensive situation (you have to lift the shuttle over the net), hence you want to have a good server where your opponent is force (a) to lift the shuttle or (b) is caught by surprise and has to play a defensive shot.

4. johnboy

johnboy Guest

As the others have already mentioned, when attacking, which should mean hitting flat or, preferably, downwards then one of you should be near in the rear court so as to be able to take the deep returns whilst the other should be in the forecourt so as to cut out the blocked net returns.

When defending, again this usually means when your opponents are hitting flat od downwards at you (smashing) you and your partner should be side by side in the Midcourt so that you can cover the width of the court.

I'm, not sure I would generally agree that when serving you are on the defensive. A good short serve and an occasional flick should plut you onto the attack. The main problem club players have is that after they have completed the short serve stroke action, they leave the racket at waist height, rather than lifting it to net or slightly above net height so as to have the racket at the right height for a net return or to 'intimidate ' the receiver.

It is also important the the servers partner is correctly positioned, go to any club and you will see the servers partner standing on the rear service lines so as 'to cover the lift'.
    He should be almost on the centre line and about 2 paces in from the short service line. From this postion he can easily reach those awkward fast returns placed just behind the front service line, the fast pushes to mid court down the line and still be able to get underneath the high lifts