Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=jermaine]
    Quote Originally Posted by LongReach
    [b]

long reach, do you know why i said smoking isnt addictive? alot of my schoolmates smoke for a cetain period of time. like 2-4 months. they managed to quit after that. i was quite surprised too and i ask them i hought smoking is addictive? they said its all in the mind if you are strong enough to control your own body. thats all.

Sorry, wasn't being nasty. I was more shocked when I heard someone say smoking wasn't addictive. Smoking (addiction to nicotine) becomes worse the longer someone smokes........2-4 months really isn't that long and would be alot easier to quit than if someone smoked for 2 years. Very few people quit smoking until the day they die if they have smoked for over 10 years.

Some peoples bodies suffer worse from nicotine withdrawals than others aswell.

I am glad to hear that your school friends got out of the habit before it was too late .

My advice: Please do not start smoking because you have seen friends start smoking and stop easily...........you may be different from them.......not saying that you could be weak minded but nicotine could affect you more than it did them..........it's not really mind power, it's more that some peoples body and brain builds and addiction quicker and stronger than others.

Trust me I smoked for about 6 years......I still was fit as I have always done sports and fitter than most non smokers(I use to train harder and eat better).

But when I quit smoking I suffered bad withdrawals.......shaking, sweating, anxiety, headaches, bad bad mood swings and agressivenessGrrrrr
    which lasted like 6 months! Even now.....4 years later when I smell cigarettes i still get that 'same old feeling' of having one.....but no!

Just don't want you to fall in the trap of thinking it's not addictive at all and taking it up 'for a while'. thinking you can just quit just like that. Just concearned for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with you LongReach.

Smoking is so addictive that many smokers can't even stop after learning they have a lung cancer !!

Tobacco industry is marketing new developping countries very aggressively to compensate for lower sales in occidental countries, and this might lead to a sanitary disaster in many countries...

Back to the topic, smoking is obviously very bad for badminton performance, as it reduces stamina a lot.
    It might become less of a handicap if new scoring is adopted, but it will always be better not to smoke!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=LongReach]
    Quote Originally Posted by jermaine
    smoking isnt addictive at all. it all depends on your mind if you tell yourself to stop smoking.

Smoking is not addictive at all.........what?

Nicotine(the drug in cigarettes) is one of the most addictive substances known to man!. It is more addictive than: cocaine, Amphetimines(speed), Ecstasy(mdma), Marijuana, Only a few drugs are more addictive: Heroin, Morphine.

Sure a strong mind can quit smoking but nicotine is, highly addictive.

As for these 'Pro's' who smoke, well I don't think it's a good idea and not a good example to set for kids. I beleive drinking alchohol also reduces your fitness. Hard training and not eating the right foods and supplements also reduces your fitness. If you exercise intensly and don't eat protein and carbs within a half hour after exercise it can have a totally negative effect of getting fitter/stronger as your body will break down existing tissues and organs in search of proteins.

This is my secret....shhhh.: Bring to training 2-4 boiled eggs(keep them cool tho) and as soon as you finish training or exercise eat them within this half hour window.........before you drive home! it may be more than half hour drive/walk untill you get home to eat food at home.

Do this for 2 months and tell me you don't notice improvement
    If you are a smoker do not under any circumstance smoke in this half hour window before you eat your eggs.

Sounds funny? Try it? Protein milkshakes are good and more convenient but eggs seem to work better for me.
    My old Kickboxing trainer use to force me to eat eggs before I left training.......wise man. Within 3 months I became so much muscular/stronger and put on 15kg of hard muscle.

Sound stupid maybe but try it, I know it works.

That sounds weird Does a protein shake work just as good? And can you eat them before training and get the same effect?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

long reach, do you know why i said smoking isnt addictive? alot of my schoolmates smoke for a cetain period of time. like 2-4 months. they managed to quit after that. i was quite surprised too and i ask them i hought smoking is addictive? they said its all in the mind if you are strong enough to control your own body. thats all.
    Good point. Now, just imagine how many people are not strong enough to control themselves. Now imagine how many people there are in the world with less education the average s'porean. Now imagine a whole bunch of smokers who want to give up surrounded by a social group who continue to smoke...

It's tough to give up because it is so addictive and because of the social aspect. I suspect there are people who find it harder to give up and there are people who find it easy to give up.

Those who find it biologically easier to give up smoking can pat themselves on the back and say "I gave up because I've got a strong character". Who can tell?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for these 'Pro's' who smoke, well I don't think it's a good idea and not a good example to set for kids. I beleive drinking alchohol also reduces your fitness. Hard training and not eating the right foods and supplements also reduces your fitness. If you exercise intensly and don't eat protein and carbs within a half hour after exercise it can have a totally negative effect of getting fitter/stronger as your body will break down existing tissues and organs in search of proteins.

This is my secret....shhhh.: Bring to training 2-4 boiled eggs(keep them cool tho) and as soon as you finish training or exercise eat them within this half hour window.........before you drive home! it may be more than half hour drive/walk untill you get home to eat food at home.
    is it really so harmful not to eat in half hour after exercise? i am frightened!
    i was forced not to eat anything after exercise when i took this course that
    help people to keep slender. i was told that,otherwise i will put on weight. and i keep the habbit now, never eat anything after playing badminton .
    OMG!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung
    Good point. Now, just imagine how many people are not strong enough to control themselves. Now imagine how many people there are in the world with less education the average s'porean. Now imagine a whole bunch of smokers who want to give up surrounded by a social group who continue to smoke...

It's tough to give up because it is so addictive and because of the social aspect. I suspect there are people who find it harder to give up and there are people who find it easy to give up.

Those who find it biologically easier to give up smoking can pat themselves on the back and say "I gave up because I've got a strong character". Who can tell?
    actually, my grand mother did .she quitted at 50, and lived another 43 years after that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kemana
    actually, my grand mother did .she quitted at 50, and lived another 43 years after that.
    my grandmother had smoked since tenaager, she's still alive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taufik-ist
    And what's your point?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some people survive after getting struck by lightning....but would you call 220volts safe?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=taber]
    [b]

That sounds weird Does a protein shake work just as good? And can you eat them before training and get the same effect?

Protein shakes that contain W.P.I (whey protein Isolate) are hard to digest. Protein shakes are more convenient and contain more nutrients but your stomach will break down an egg easier and faster and it's cheaper. I just eat carbohydrates before exercise for energy....eating too much before can give you a stitch. And protein in eggs after exercise to rebuild new tissues.

It does sound weird and I didn't beleive it at first but when my trainer got me to do it.......he does it after he trains people so he just cooked extra eggs for me because he felt I was losing condition.........My trainer was 55 years old and extremely muscular.....he does not look 55!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kemana
    is it really so harmful not to eat in half hour after exercise? i am frightened!
    i was forced not to eat anything after exercise when i took this course that
    help people to keep slender. i was told that,otherwise i will put on weight. and i keep the habbit now, never eat anything after playing badminton .
    OMG!

Be careful about 'weight loss' courses. Your body needs protein to repair after workouts. Not eating make your body 'Catabolic' ......basical meaning it eats itself away. For you Do not eat the yolk......fats are in it. Just the whites.

You want to burn fat........not muscle and tissue. Try to eat after training within a half hour......see if you put on weight. If you don't keep doing it.

You will recover quicker and not feel 'run down' or as tired.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=kemana]actually, my grand mother did .she quitted at 50, and lived another 43 years after that

haha, one of the standard arguments of the smokers.

Eventually, 1 in 2 people will die from smoking. It's takes a long time to die from smoking - maybe 20 years, maybe 40 years.

People always quote "I know xxx who smokes and is still alive."
    a) Those people dead from smoking can't tell you to stop smoking anymore
    b) For 1 survivor that you see, there will be one dead person. Seeing how many people smoke around you, just think that there could be double that number of people still alive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be careful about 'weight loss' courses. Your body needs protein to repair after workouts. Not eating make your body 'Catabolic' ......basical meaning it eats itself away. For you Do not eat the yolk......fats are in it. Just the whites.

You want to burn fat........not muscle and tissue. Try to eat after training within a half hour......see if you put on weight. If you don't keep doing it.

You will recover quicker and not feel 'run down' or as tired.
    thank you very much! i'll take your advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if i could remember correctly, i think someone in this forum said that LCW smokes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am getting out of this thread.......all this talk about smoking is making want to start back up ................not! j/k

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who says smoking isn't addictive? I smoked my first cigarette when I was 18, starting with a pack of 20 each day on nothing more aromatic than 'Lucky Strike'. In the next ten years I was up to 2 packs of 'Lucky Strike' plus one pack of 'Kool', a total of 60 or more cigarettes a day. Rather than a social smoker-one who smokes only after meals or when in a group or parties-I was a habitual smoker, smoking non-stop when solving problems or fighting corporate battles. But I also had very strong will power. I had no problem at all giving up smoking, at the drop of the hat, for no less than 4-5 times in my 18 years of smoking, despite almost unbearable withdrawal symptoms. Later I switched over to Havana cigars, which was a mistake, because being a habitual smoker I smoked the much bigger cigars at almost 30 cigars a day. Most cigar smokers would smoke only a few a day. This turned out to be a very, very expensive indulgence. At the same time the world realized the health dangers of smoking, and I decided to give up cigars. Now there is a world of difference between giving up cigarettes and cigars, at least for the habitual smoker. For the first time I discovered that giving up 30 cigars a day was much harder than giving up 60+ cigarettes/day. It took me close to a month of iron will power to finally overcome the cigars lure. But here is the danger. For the next 10 years the smell of cigarettes or cigars were very tempting. I suspect most smokers who gave up do subsequently succumb to this 10-year long temptation. After 10 years the smell of cigarettes or cigars become repulsive. Then and only then can you claim success.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the next 10 years the smell of cigarettes or cigars were very tempting. I suspect most smokers who gave up do subsequently succumb to this 10-year long temptation. After 10 years the smell of cigarettes or cigars become repulsive. Then and only then can you claim success.[/QUOTE]

The brain remembers nicotine addiction in your sub-concious mind......for me after 4 years not smoking and my eyes still go like this---->BING! when I smell cigarette smoke! Ohh they are evil things!

Oh teneepak thank god you stopped .......that amount of tobacco you use to smoke would i feel have been the death of you. Cigars have so much more nicotine than cigarettes.

Funny how pro's have the mind and will power to work hard to get to the top but can't quit...........or they think 'I am a pro and even if i keep smoking I will still be a pro'.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast