Effortless Clears

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Jimbo10, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Jimbo10

Jimbo10 Regular Member

I am what you call a 'passive' user of this forum. I often browse through threads to supplement my badminton. However, on many occasions, I have read people can do a high forehand clear from baseline to baseline easily. However, my best is from the doubles backline to the other one with a lot of effort, almost as much as a smash. I have made an effort to find what I'm doing wrong, but I haven't found any. Ie, I have a side on action, I pronate my forearm, etc.
    Can someone please give some advice :)

#1 Jimbo10, Aug 9, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2005
  2. MikeJ

MikeJ Regular Member

IT Consultant
    Hello. :D

(first of all, I'm no expert. :D this is just my 2 cents worth....)

I'm assuming that your form/technique is ok (e.g. footwork, arm pronation, hip-torso rotation, etc). Given those factors, maybe your hitting the shuttlecock too late (when it's almost directly above you; at 12 o'clock position). Try hitting the shuttle a little earlier (maybe between 11 o'clock or 10:30 positions) (or, try getting in-front of the shuttle more)

I hope this helps. :D If not, maybe other (and more qualified) people here can give more sound advice. :D

Good luck! :D

3. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    Hmm... I think the two main factors would be your body type and form.
    Since I'm a thin guy, I also need to place more effort than a larger guy's.
    Still you can make up for this with form. Light weights in the gym might help too. You can check out the plethora of info for form in this forum. Since this is your first post, I'm assuming your new here. WELCOME! :)

4. Togey

Togey Regular Member

are you gripping the racquet right? i had trouble clearing until i switched to the forehand grip (had universal/pan-handle grip before)

5. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    effortless is maybe an exaggeration, but for the average adult given correct technique a clear should require very little force.

things to check (best get the video camera to check this...)
    1. are you truly behind the shuttle - very little arching of the back
    2. taking the shuttle at the highest point - arm should be vertical on contact.
    3. body rotation, body should turn almost 180 degrees, footwork is also a key part in this.
    4. grip - got the correct forehand grip, not holding too tight/too loose / too far up / down the grip?

you've already said your side on and pronating the forearm.

it could just be putting it all together into one smooth efficient action thats the problem here. knowing all the parts doesn't necessarily mean they're all being put together properly.

all i can suggest is practice - it will come. my clear is pretty good, but not effortless - and i've been playing for over ten years. practice is the answer - you've got the knowledge it's just a case of putting it all into practice :)

hope this helps

Neil

6. MikeJ

MikeJ Regular Member

IT Consultant
    that's what I meant. :D (BEHIND the shuttle not in-front of....sorry for that...tried to edit but couldn't.)

Btw, just to give an example, there's this former Philippine Team member, her name is Rej, who can clear from baseline to baseline AND can smash stronger than most weekend warriors even though she's just 100 pounds (and 5 feet tall). That's because her form or technique is really good. (think Jet Li or Bruce Lee vs untrained 6ft+ guy......)

#6 MikeJ, Aug 9, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2005
  7. coops241180

Product Owner
    lol -hadn't seen your typo :D

totally agree with your example - some of the juniors at the bonanza event this weekend could clear comfortably back to back under pressure - and they were half the size of me - fantastic form tho..

8. Devilicious

Devilicious Regular Member

student
    Also, don't stop the momentum once you hit the shuttle; let your arm and body continue follow through the stroke completely. Do you rotate your body enough when performing the shot? Strength from clears mainly comes from hip rotation.

Besides the points mentioned above (and in previous posts), I believe timing plays a crucial part in clears. A clear is, after all, the shot that travels furthest. Simply have someone feed you high lobe serves and clear as far as you can -don't mind the boundaries, hit them out if you can. Once you grasp the feeling of it, then you can adjust your strength. Be patient when you practice!

Hope to hear good news from you.

9. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    The problem MIGHT also be the shuttles your using. This is not likely though except for weaklings like myself :rolleyes: . I find that I can clear from baseline to baseline with feathered shuttles very easily, but I struggle even from the rear court in general to clear to the baseline with plastic shuttles.

10. Jimbo10

Jimbo10 Regular Member

Ok, I read many of your replies, and I am now guessing it might be the hip rotation. I haven't really noticed if I do it, so that could be one more thing to look out for, About the grip, I've been trialling two grips lately. One's the 'LBJ grip' and the other is the normal forehand grip, though I like the former, because my hand seemed to move after hitting the shuttle cos my grip was too relaxed and loose.
    Also, coops has said to rotate almost 180 degrees. But I thought the correct action is to go from sideways to being front on. That's ~ 90 degrees, isn't it?
    Yeah, I'm not a big guy either. About 5 feet 6 inches and 110 pounds, lol.
    Other things that I haven't mentioned
    My strings ranged from 20-23 pounds, and the racquets are decent ones.
    The people I play with, I don't think any of them can really go from baseline to baseline, though some of them have been playing for longer or at the same time as me.

11. coops241180

Product Owner
    hiya jimbo.. i say almost 180 degrees - that comes from the ibf training vids. it's probably somewhere between 120 and 160 degrees. if you've got time it should be nearer 160 degrees - often tho you don't get time.. but the full turn is essential to get those hips turning - the body should follow.. otherwise the power from body rotation isn't efficiently transfered..

12. Jimbo10

Jimbo10 Regular Member

Hmm, I can't really imagine how you can rotate more than 90 degrees... Can you tell me where your body and the legs would end up after rotating that much? Maybe I'll have a clearer idea...

13. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    Hiya Jimbo, as you prepare to hit the shuttle, your body faces the right side (right handed people) of the court. The moment you hit the shuttle, you do a little hop to twist your body to the left 180 degrees.

If your right foot is behind you as you hit the shuttle (again, right handed people), then as you hit, you should twist your body with the hop. Your right foot should be in front of you as the end result.

Did that help?

14. Devilicious

Devilicious Regular Member

student
    When preparing to hit the shuttlecock, you should position yourself behind it. Your body should be almost perpendicular to the net (as much as possible). Assuming you're right-handed, your left foot is in front when you prepare to hit. The impact is done during the rotation -that's when you're parallele with the net. Always contact the shuttle as high as possible, thus with a straight arm. Your hips should bring the whole body (upper part) to rotate, not vice versa. Don't stop short as soon as you hit the shuttle! You can hurt yourself that way. Follow up the momentum naturally after the impact and your right foot should be in front now.

If you want to scissor kick, always assuming you're right-handed, you should push yourself with your right foot, land with your left one, and take the "momentum step" forward with your right. Confusing? >.<

Height isn't a big factor in making clears, though it could be easier to perform for taller people as their point of impact is higher. People smaller than you can still have a decent clear. As someone mentioned in another thread before, with the proper form and technique, an 11 years old can clear baseline to baseline. The key to success is always practice (patience)!! :) Good luck!

15. coops241180

Product Owner
    it's definitely more than 90 degrees since i start off side on to the net with my non-racquet leg nearer the net - and once i'm finished and folowed through my racquet leg has passed my non racquet leg, my arms.. i'm pointing at the shuttle with my non racquet arm, winding up somewhere behind me with my racquet arm. during the shot my non racquet hand comes towards my racquet shoulder, my racquet arm passes close to my head as i hit the shuttle and continues to pass somewhere down past my non racquet side left hip.

if i measure the change in angle of my hips and shoulders during action i would say i turn about 135 degrees most times, but my feet do a complete turn - i've just done the action in my front room to check - and my feet totally swap places.. pivoting on my non racquet foot. if i were to only turn 90 degrees surely i'd end up square on to the net after clearing?

hope this helps..

i think the ibf vid would be the best thing for you to see the action - it shows the action very well..

Neil

16. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Jimbo, if you have your arm movement right, its actually possible to clear back to back easily without body rotation. The key is to have a fast (power) whip like movement (fluidity of the stroke) that is also strong like a baseball bat at the same time to fight momentum of the shuttle. The less heavy the shuttle feels when you hit it, the more effortless it is to clear from back to back.

You can work on this by doing weights that focuses on your arm power. That is your shoulders, triceps and forearm muscles. No need for low rep heavy weight though, do high rep medium weight instead. Then you can also get a racket with a head cover and practice many repetitions of the overhead stroke with only your forearm and wrist moving. Swing the racket as fast as you can btw.

17. paulchow

paulchow Regular Member

one thing that always helps me more than reading about doing something is watching someone who knows what their doing.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25155

i don't know if you've come accross this before but this is a thread from the "Tournament Video Sharing" section of the forum where you can download videos of professional matches. gl.

18. Jimbo10

Jimbo10 Regular Member

Again, thanks to all for your great suggestions :)
    The hip rotation is now a lot more clearer. Now, as I think about it, I do have some hip rotation, but I think I will emphasise it a bit more when I'm playing.
    To Iwan, when you say to have a fast, whip like movement, is that the movement reminiscent of a smash? Because, that seems to me that it takes a lot of effort. Like I know if I had to clear it, I probably could get it to a decent position, yet I would be too tired to repeatedly do it.
    To paulchow, I do watch videos whenever they show it on cable. However, there doesn't seem to be a lot of analysis of players, unlike tennis or cricket, so I don't really get a lot from it.
    To coops, I might incorporate the follow through past the left hip, cos I usually stop doing this just before. And unfortunately I'm too young to have a credit card, so I can't watch ibbs.tv videos.
    devilicious and keith, thanks for your advice :D

I guess practice makes perfect, though about 3 yrs in total is a rather long time to build up a good clear...

19. Noob848

Noob848 Regular Member

It could be your racket, if it takes that much force to clear, maybe try a higher tension, ~23 lbs, because when i had my ISO 53 mf it wasn't generating enough power, so i bought an AT500 and strung it at 23 and my clears were alot easier to do