Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Website

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Laybourn
    To Gollum:
    About the text you mentioned, i can say that i do indeed use REAL text. I dont undestand that you canīt read the text, all the different computers i have seen my site on works fine. Maybe your resolution on your computer is so high that the text gets to small to read.
    On my screen, the "text" is so small that I can barely read it. But that's not what I was trying to explain.

Text and the appearance of text are not the same thing. Text is information, which can be read by anyone, including blind people and partially sighted people.

Images are not text, even if they look like text. Flash is not text, even if it presents an image of text.

Let me illustrate:

This is real text. If the font is hard for me to read, or too small, then I can change it. Blind people can use software to read it aloud.

Note that search engines (Google) cannot read your "text" either, because search engines are blind!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Search Engines are blind to all text included from flash

Nice site though some of the text I am blind to as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is a bit late... but why would blind people be going to thomas laybourn's website?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kittan
    this is a bit late... but why would blind people be going to thomas laybourn's website?
    This is exactly the sort of thoughtless attitude that causes problems for people with disabilities

Able-bodied people often have little understanding of what a disabled person can do, or what a disabled person is interested in.

You are assuming that blind people are not interested in supporting a sports team or individual. Why should this be so? Granted, they can't watch the game; but many sports fans listen on the radio.

Besides, the same problems that blind people experience from bad website design also affect partially sighted people, or people who just like to read text at a more comfortable size.

Finally, you should think about this: the most powerful user of the internet is blind. He decides whether a website will be popular. And his name?

His name is Google. And if he can't read your website, no-one else will find it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I made an assumption based on television but i never thought about radio.

Sorry if what i said came accross as thoughtless. I just dont have much experience with blind people in my country, although i understand other physical disabilities as i give up time to work at a handicapped house.

Once again, sorry for my thoughtless attitude

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kittan
    I made an assumption based on television but i never thought about radio.

Sorry if what i said came accross as thoughtless. I just dont have much experience with blind people in my country, although i understand other physical disabilities as i give up time to work at a handicapped house.

Once again, sorry for my thoughtless attitude
    Hey, maybe "thoughtless" was a bit harsh

Besides, there are so many different disabling conditions -- so much variety of people -- that no-one can be expected to think of every possibility.

On the positive side, as a web developer you don't have to think of every possibility. Web accessibility guidelines are published by the W3C:

http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/

The guidelines aren't perfect, but they help a lot Web developers would do well to follow them unless they have a compelling reason not to.

In this case, Thomas's site violates the very first guideline:

Quote Originally Posted by W3C

Guideline 1. Provide equivalent alternatives to auditory and visual content.
    Specifically, Checkpoint 1.1 says:

Provide a text equivalent for every non-text element (e.g., via "alt", "longdesc", or in element content). This includes: images, graphical representations of text.......
    This is a "priority 1" checkpoint, which means:

A Web content developer must satisfy this checkpoint. Otherwise, one or more groups will find it impossible to access information in the document. Satisfying this checkpoint is a basic requirement for some groups to be able to use Web documents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

please send me it here: johntvery@yahoo.com
    thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2