difficult conundrum

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by pb_aznstyle, Aug 10, 2005.

1. pb_aznstyle

pb_aznstyle Regular Member

OK, first of all, I would like to say that this is not a "suggest a racquet" thread. Now. I've been using my 2u MP100 for a very long time now, about 1.5 years. That's a buit over half of how long i've been playing. I can really use the power now from my MP100, despite my short experience, i've gotten used to a stiff shaft. I've thought and though and now even my coach has held the racquet and advised me, i've come to the sad conclusion that my powerhouse mp100 is too heavy for me. I've grown too accustomed to using it's power and have developed a less wristy extremely powerful stroke. Great for doubles offense but I lack the wristiness and control needed to play the more advanced singles. I need a lighter racquet. I need the advantages of being wristy and controlled. My coach want me to have faster hands. He let me use his racquet, (some yang yang) which was lighter, and I had improved instantly witht he swap. It's like I didn't need to get used to his racquet at all. Now this is waht i'm thinking. I have the funds to ge another high end racuqet but a LIGHTER one. But i'm very not willing to spend that much on another racquet. I'm a teenager, money is harder to come by. There aren't any stores that allow demos around here. I'm afraid i'll buy a racquet and not like it. Questions like... do I want head light 3u or head heavy 4u come to mind. If only I could demo some racquets it would be sooo great. What should i do in this situation? should i just buy a 3u racuet that's very similar to my current mp100? like MP99 3u? or something relatively different like a 4u at700 or a 3u ns8000? uuugh, i don't wanna waste my money but i wanna find the right kind of racuet quick so i don't have to buy a ton of them! What should i do?

2. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    Well,

Just my 2 cents but I imagine the first step would obviously be to try a 3U MP100 as you mentioned.

Also, since you play singles, why not look at the 3U or even 4U AT700? Definitely lighter and more maneuverable yet arguably the premier singles racket, as I think both Lin Dan and Taufik use them (I could be mistaken but I think thats the case).

3. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

MP88 4U would be highly suitable..it is slightly head heavy, but it's very fast and still plenty powerful. Perfect for wristy types.

Also can consider AT800DE 4U as well, it is designed for defense in doubles. On the Yonex it is rated in the middle of attack/defense. Great racket, but pricey.

Alternatives: MP66 3U and NS 7000 3U. Both are headlight, and are about the same level of quickness as the MP88. I think NS7000 is the best choice if money wasn't a concern. It's extremely easy to use and makes for an excellent offensive play. MP66 is more suited for defense(not as stiff aas NS 7000), but I'm sure it's not powerless.

I'd recommend NS 7000, but if you get it, you'll have to be pretty careful not to clash it. The nanocarbon is on the brittle side, although it has high tensile strength. I'm sure that you'll be careful though, as you have with the MP100. If you don't want to pay a premium, then MP88 would be your best bet. Peter Gade uses it, so it is suitable even for professional players.

Be sure to demo the rackets before committing to buying. You don't want to end up with a racket that you don't like.

4. pb_aznstyle

I have a job and i'm willing to pay a high racquet price, i just don't wanna pay more than once. If i do get another MP but 3u, it would definately be the mp99 3u. Also, I think going from mp100 to a ns7000 might be too drastic. I want to still feel the head well so if i go a nanospeed, it would be 8000. I haven't tried the 99 but i imagine it isn't too different from a mp100. I have treid only an AT800 OFF 3u and i know that that is wayyy to slow, even for me. I think if i got an AT it should be 4u. I have not treid any nanospeeds yet . I wanna demo an AT700 or an ns8000. Those look like the ones I am really considering right now. If i donIt like them i'll get a 3u mp99.

5. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    just an addition re: NS8K

My friend, who is a competitive singles player tried out the NS8K and liked the way it cleared effortlessly. It feels solid too but he felt it had less of a smash than his AT800OF.

6. Nightamose

Nightamose Regular Member

Student
    Since I'm sort a beginner I can't suggest any rackets.

But, if you really want to demo some rackets just head out and ask if you could try other people's rackets.

If you find one you like then go buy it.

7. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

Using a lighter racket is not a necessary condition to be an "advance" single player. Most professionals prefer using head heavy rackets.

8. pb_aznstyle

I understand that and have tried to use that ideal to justify me trying to just get better with my mp100, but the racquet is jsut too slow for me now. I need quicker and snappier strokes, cause right now, all my opponents are reading me like the sunday paper.