How To Improve Your Accuracy, Speed, Agility And Backhand?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Darma Sucipto, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Darma Sucipto

Darma Sucipto Regular Member

Hi I just wanna ask you guys how to improve on acuuracy, speed, agilty and backhand? Actually, those 4 things are my weakpoints. For accuracy, sometimes i make simple mistakes in the game. And my opponent normally get points from my mistakes. My footwork are a little bit slower than state players actually and also my agility as well. and somemore my backhand are quite weak so have to always do my backhand shot to the net. Any ideas how to improve on those 4 things?

2. lonelyk3

lonelyk3 Regular Member

Hmm.
    I don't want to assume that you are a lazy bum, but it does awfully sound like it. Sounds like you want a more simple or shorter way to achieve a high level skill of playing. If I am wrong, I appologize. :eek:
    Unless you have no clue what to do. Look around the forums for specific things that you want to learn about. The best advice that anybody can give you about, "acuuracy, speed, agilty..." is to PRACTICE. There's no easier way, unless you are a natural. :eek:

May I ask why you need to know backhand?
    That's the main thing that made me think you are a lazy bum looking for a better way to win your games.

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

A bit harsh to call Darma a "lazy bum", perhaps, but there is a good point in the insult. Darma, you need to take more responsibility for your own development. There are no easy shortcuts, but there is plenty of good advice on these forums, if you are willing to search for it.

Attempting to get all the wisdom of the BF forums condensed into this single thread is unrealistic, and -- dare I say it -- a tad lazy.

So: read the forums, take the advice of a good coach, and put effort into your own training.

4. lonelyk3

lonelyk3 Regular Member

Okay okay. A "tad lazy." :)

5. Noob848

Noob848 Regular Member

Darma since no one really gave you an answer that you could use to improve on, i will kindly answer it, simply by saying, Maybe you need to play more games and do more drills and then when you play someone with lesser skill than you, instead of using forehand clears use your backhand and eventually your backhand will become stronger

6. Mabin28

Mabin28 New Member

Engineer
    what are the drills that can help improve your backhand?

7. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Well first thing's first, you want to make sure that your technique is correct for all of your shots. There's a reason why all of the good players have good technique.. it's because having correct technique will give you an edge in power, accuracy, consistency, and deception (compared to incorrect technique), and will give you the potential to improve much faster.

If you are giving your opponents points from your mistakes, I would say that you perhaps need to work on your consistency. Are you losing points when you put shots into the net, or when you try to aim for a line on a smash and miss? I would say the latter is more about accuracy, while the former is consistency, though really I could interchange these words and they would have similar meanings. Regardless, if you are making "simple mistakes" during the game, then this is more of a psychological issue than anything else. If these shots are simple, why are you making the mistakes? Do you make them during practice?

For improving your agility, you'll need to first make sure that you have a solid footwork foundation. Whether you know it or not, there are many different ways for getting to each corner of the court and each one serves a particular purpose. Knowing each of the ways and being comfortable with them will give you a much greater "footwork arsenal". Once you have that down, make sure you are doing a split step before going in any direction. That split step, if properly timed, will act like a spring and give you a quick explosive boost in whichever direction you want to go in.

As for backhand, proper technique will take you a long way. Remember that your entire body needs to be in sync to achieve maximum power, so this means that your backhand footwork has to be impeccable. Some tips to achieve more power are:
    1. start from a compact position where your elbow is pointed downwards
    2. begin your swing by raising your elbow so that it is pointing upwards
    3. then as you unwind your arm, suppinate
    4. you may find it helpful to change your grip from a basic grip to a bevel or even slightly panhandle grip
    5. the ideal contact point is right above your racket shoulder (at least in the x direction, assuming it to be the direction perpendicular to the net)
    6. lowering your shoulder before the swing and using the upwards movement during the swing will give you a bit of extra power
    7. listen for a crisp sound upon impact

For backhand drills, multi-shuttle feeds would be a nice way to develop consistency with your backhand once you've learned the proper technique.

8. erictung

erictung Regular Member

Technique aside, a good way to improve your gameplay is to play better people constantly. I've been playing the same 3 friends for three years and I've been improving slowly. (Maybe because I wasn't as serious in the first 1 1/2 years :() Then here comes this guy who's played for a year completely owning me in every way possible because he constantly played lots of good players. Now he's doing some 2 vs 1 training. Playing more games and better skilled players are a crucial part in improving your game. Listen to their tips if they give you any.

9. DownUnder

DownUnder Regular Member

If u want to WIN One of the most important thing to have is ** FITNESS **

If u lack that "acuuracy, speed, agilty and backhand" all become useless..

Have u ever watch a game where one player have all the skills and tricks But actually loses the game to the lesser but "FITTER" opponent.. :) Esp in Singles..