Best make racket?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Nigel.dvuser@vi, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Nigel.dvuser@vi

Nigel.dvuser@vi New Member

I have been playing the game for years and although I'm 39 Y.O. I feel I want to purchase a superb pro racket.

Can anybody advise me of what the very best makes are and recommend some flagship models.

Now I've discovered these forums I'll be stopping in regularly.

Thanks guys.

2. morton027

morton027 Regular Member

I have a definite preference for yonex rackets, have just bought armortec 800 defensive and love it.

Depends on your personal style which racket to go for - don't just go and buy the most expensive.

Nick.

3. Togey

Togey Regular Member

did you not read the sticky?

4. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Regular Member

Student
    he is new to the forum

5. Nigel.dvuser@vi

Okay, just read a sticky on choosing equipment. It doesn't tell me what the best makes and models are though. However, I did learn about "Isometric/square" rackets, which sounds pretty good to me. However, I just dug out my Yonix and noticed that it actually is one. It's about 8 years old.

The model is a Yonix Isometric Power 200 full carbon shaft made in Japan. Don't know if this is a good racket or not. I paid around £50 from local sports shop at the time.

I find that this racket, if I don't hit it bang in the middle, that there is a distinct lack of power and it always falls short of the net. I have never done anything to the gut, it is original.

I don't mind spending considerably more for something that will help in this area. I need a larger sweet spot, the Isometric/square system sounds ideal for this (which is what mine is), however, just a better model perhaps.

I'm not too bothered about the weight factor, I'm more interested in being able to smash the birdie with power from a wide sweet spot. These smash shots are the only way I can possibly beat my partner, but my racket just doesn't smash them fast enough.

Any advice on a particular Yonix (or other) model to fit my needs will be greatly received.

Finally, I am quite fit (39 Y.O), but don't know anything about brands or racket or how much a good one cost. What would I need to spend on a brilliant racket. I can go up to about £250 max, is this too little, or too over-the-top?

#5 Nigel.dvuser@vi, Aug 13, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2005
  6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    nigel, there is no best racket or best brand. Everybody has their own meaning of 'best'. It's like asking what is the best car. If u want bigger sweet spot, go restring it with bg66 and at 22 lbs, if u want power.

#6 cooler, Aug 13, 2005
  7. morton027

morton027 Regular Member

I'd suggest if u really want a new racket then find a local sports shop that has demo models that you can borrow and try for a few games and then make your decision based on how they feel to you.

8. CG 99

CG 99 Regular Member

student
    And i wouldnt worry about going over ur max budget, unless u buy two top of the range rackets.

9. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

If you want large sweet spot, the best racquet would be Prince badminton racquet. Their head design gives a sweet spot that only a noob would miss (after the initial "getting used to" period). This is because they implement a "Y-joint" instead of a "T-joint" that other use. The "Prince M+87" would probably put you in good stead. It can be found here for £69.50

If you persistently want Yonex one, then the "Yonex Armortech 800" has a relatively square head share - with sweet spot size to match. For your requirement of pummeling the birdie, you should get the "Yonex Armortech 800 Offensive" (the link I gave you also has the Armortech 800 listed, at £97.99).

Saying this may/may not help, as you might have become so accustomed to your Yonex Iso 200 that nothing else feels as nice to play with. Thus try out a couple of Prince ones and a couple of Yonex ones, and come back to this forum to tell us what you think about them :).

#9 jcl49, Aug 13, 2005
  10. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Why?
    Do you want to be able to play better?
    If so, spend the money on some coaching.

Carlton, Yonex, Prince, Wilson, Babolat, Karakal, Ashaway, Monsoon, Yehlex, Fleet all make good racquets. But the best one for you won't necessarily be the top of the range or most expensive. It might be for somebody (e.g. a Pro or County player) but it definitely will not be the best for everybody

11. charzord

charzord Regular Member

Student
    Well, since you want expensive powerful rackets, May i suggest Yonex musclepower 99, Armortec 800, Armortec 700 and Nanospeed 8000? Most of those are thunderous rackets, expensive, and flagship models of yonex. Of course, coaching is more worth it, but if u insist, those rackets should fit your needs :)

12. Nigel.dvuser@vi

That's great guys. I have some models that I can look up and try out. The coaching thing, well I never thought of that, but I will look into it now. Makes perfect sense really.

I'll be back.

Cheers

13. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    I don't think you should suggest...It's not durable even though you said it's powerful..I don't think nigel will buy a racquet that isnt durable...

14. charzord

charzord Regular Member

Student
    He didn't ask for durable though, he ask for a " superb pro racket " with a 350 GBP limit. Besides though, I know peopel who have had those racket for years withotu breaking :p.