wrist pains after playin

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Nirvana_417, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Nirvana_417

Nirvana_417 New Member

Hi,
    I have been noticing it for the past couple of month.
    At times , after a set of streneous game of badminton , my right hand wrist hurts when I try to bend my palm down.
    The point that hurts is the left side of my wrist( I am a right handed player) and the pain subsides as soon as I relieve all tension on my wrist .
    The pain is most excruciating ,and does not feel like an ordinary muscle pain.

It would be great if folks can help me with some suggestions.Are there special exercises ?
    Thanks

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

General

Is the pain localised, or does it radiate to other areas?

It is most likely a strain, although it could conceivably be a sprain (which is more serious, because there could be ligament damage).

In either case, treatment is the same. RICE -- Rest, Ice, Compression bandaging, Elevation of the injury above the level of the heart.

The most important element of treatment, by far, is REST. The others are usually beneficial in the early stages of a sprain, but most people find it impractical to continue applying ice, bandaging and elevation for longer periods.

I'm afraid that means you should stop playing badminton for a while -- I recommend about three weeks, based on the severity of pain you describe. You should also stop any other activities that aggravate the injury.

Don't forget that your doctor is an even better source of advice than I am ;) I have some medical training, but he's got at least 6 years of it, plus experience.

Specific

The injury you describe is probably connected with the motion of ulnal deviation, which is what you use to hit some backhand strokes -- with the thumb pushing from behind.

I've actually suffered a strain recently in this area myself, from badminton. It was dodgy technique for a net kill that caused the initial strain. I am now resting for a week (my pain is not so severe). If that doesn't work, I will rest for longer. I may also consult my physiotherapist.

#2 Gollum, Aug 15, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2005
  3. Nirvana_417

Nirvana_417 New Member

Hello Gollum,
    Thanks for replying .
    The pain is localised .And it is not a continuously occuring pain , but shoots out only when I try to do some wrist intensive work , eg turning the steering wheel of a car .

Funny that you mentioned back-hand .I have been practicing backhand strokes at around the same time that this pain started .Never made the association myself .I will try out the REST technique .

4. daringkidz

daringkidz Regular Member

I used to have this pain as well..however the pain was on the RIGHT side of my wrist..I think it was probably due to an improper technique for excuting the backhand stroke..

I think the best thing is just to give your wrist a rest..maybe about a week or 2..after that, return to playing just to see how your wrist responds but keep the intensity of your games as low as possible..

5. Noob848

Noob848 Regular Member

From my expierence from seeing what my friend went through it can be a couple of things :
    • Improper technique
    • You are not used to your racket
    • You are wearing your joint out
    • You sprained or strained your wrist too much
    • You have a minor fracture
    • You have severe muscle pain