Difference between shuttlecocks

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by walfisch, Aug 16, 2005.

1. walfisch

walfisch Regular Member

Hi everyone, I'm new around here!

I have been wondering what's the differences between the numbers on shuttlecocks, hope u guys can help me with that.

I have read up on the difference between the single numbered shuttlecocks, but I still don't get the ones with the double digits.

e.g. Yonex Aerosensa 2, 3, 5, 10, 20, 30

Can anyone enlighten me?

TIA!

2. J_M_V

J_M_V Regular Member

Sales
    Speed number (72 - 82) on the shuttlecock means on which weather condition it is meant for. E.g. In Finland, where we have fairly cold weather (also in badminton venues :rolleyes: ), we use mainly 77 and 78 speeds. In Thailand, though, where it is very warm and humid, they use mainly 74 and 75 speeds. Basically the bigger the number the further it will fly, and the colder the climate the faster the shuttlecock has to be. All major shuttlecock producers (Yonex, Victor, Sosan, Wilson etc.) follow this speed numbering.

Any other numbering (meaning brand's own numbering) is mainly a way to differentiate the product. E.g. Yonex Aerosensa 20 is slightly better and lasts a bit longer than Yonex Aerosensa 10. Other brands, such as Sosan, use colour and/or name to do the same (e.g. black Sosan is better than purple Sosan),