User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 34
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Liverpool, UK
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Poor Performing MP-100??

    Hi,
    I have recently purchased an MP-100 (2U), I usually use an MP-99 (3U), however I have always wanted an MP-100 and I read that the 2U version "packs more punch". I strung the MP-100 with BG-65 Power at 24lbs, and I have been using it for around 2 weeks now. However, the MP-100 seems like a very poor racket compared to the MP-99, I was wondering if I'm still not used to it or this is the sad truth. I have noticed the MP-99 is actually more powerful, with its 24lbs BG-88Ti, the control is much greater, the MP-99 is more precise, easier to handle and generally has more feel with most, if not all shots.
    Upon reading the equipment reviews on this website, I certainly didn't expect this result, maybe I am just not used to it yet, I have used it for around 15 - 20hrs, what do you think?
    All advice would be greatly appriciated!
    Thanks
    Jay

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,237
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    there is a multitude of factors here that you have changed, and each one will create the change even more difficult.
    you changed strings, you changed racquet balance and weight.
    so its either you haven't grown accustomed to the change in timing required, or a 2U mp100 is simply too heavy/headheavy of a racquet for your style.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It took me several weeks to get used to MP100 (after having used MP77). It is simply so unforgiving. Though my MP100 is 3U, as was my MP77. Now I'm trying to get familiar with AT800OFF 4U ... Anyway I'd say give the MP100 a few weeks, and if it still doesn't feel good then get back to MP99.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Liverpool, UK
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks guys, I'll just keep using it and using it, hopefully I should get used to it, the sooner the better

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Edmonton AB, Canada
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Scott
    Thanks guys, I'll just keep using it and using it, hopefully I should get used to it, the sooner the better
    I've got an mp100 2u as well. I've decided that it's way too heavy for me. Yes it is a powerhouse, but the power is only obtainable when you are setup nicely. It's great for doubles offense but i find for singels, i need a wristier feeling of a 3u racquet. Also, you are using bg 88-ti strings going to bg 65power. The difference is huge between those. The thinner/ ti bg 88 will feel so much better than the thick bg 65. All in all, i think that both your racquets are great and that you have a good arsenal for different ways of playing.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vancouver B.C
    Posts
    130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    its probably because your not used to the weight distribution on the mp100

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Liverpool, UK
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pb_aznstyle
    I've got an mp100 2u as well. I've decided that it's way too heavy for me. Yes it is a powerhouse, but the power is only obtainable when you are setup nicely. It's great for doubles offense but i find for singels, i need a wristier feeling of a 3u racquet. Also, you are using bg 88-ti strings going to bg 65power. The difference is huge between those. The thinner/ ti bg 88 will feel so much better than the thick bg 65. All in all, i think that both your racquets are great and that you have a good arsenal for different ways of playing.
    Do you suggest I get rid of it and try a 3U version? or should I just keep trying and trying to make it work?

  8. #8
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    3,342
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just keep using it. You will get used to it, and when you do, you'll discover what a great racquet it is. The MP99 is also a very good racquet so I don't think the MP100 will improve your game though.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vancouver B.C
    Posts
    130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You might want to fool around with the tension also, alot of ppl have sed that the mp100 needs 25-26lbs to start bringing out its potential so that maybe your problem

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Edmonton AB, Canada
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noob848
    You might want to fool around with the tension also, alot of ppl have sed that the mp100 needs 25-26lbs to start bringing out its potential so that maybe your problem
    Stringing it tighter will definitely give you more control and a sharper feel, BUT you need to have a solid stroke to get the best from the tension. IN the end, it will still be slower than a 3u. (not shuttle wise, like... swinging wise as in defense and wristy play)

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Scott
    Hi,
    I have recently purchased an MP-100 (2U), I usually use an MP-99 (3U), however I have always wanted an MP-100 and I read that the 2U version "packs more punch".
    1. ur MP100 is heavier

    2. MP100 is stiffer

    3. Power comes from the player's technique (i.e. swing / timing) but not the racket itself.

    Usually, it takes players longer to adjust to a heavier/stiffer racket than the other way around. Keep trying for a bit longer, and hopefully u can get used to it. If not, time for "marketing place".

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    London area, UK
    Posts
    3,935
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    *shrug*

    This is what happens when you don't test out a racket.

    From what you say, it sounds like the mp99 suits you better. Don't be deceived into thinking that the mp100 is a better racket just because 100 > 99

    Use whichever one you prefer. That one is the better racket.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Liverpool, UK
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks alot for all of your help and advice , I'll take each and every post into consideration, I will keep using it, but I definately won't abandon the old fave, my MP-99. I will also try a higher tension, 26lbs sounds good, is there any particular string you guys think I should use on this particular racket? Although it is highest rated in the Yonex Stringing reviews, I am not a fan of the BG-88Ti due to the terrible durability, what do you think?

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Edmonton AB, Canada
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Try bg68-ti. I love that string. It should be like the 88-ti but thincker, hence, more durable.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Scott
    Thanks alot for all of your help and advice , I'll take each and every post into consideration, I will keep using it, but I definately won't abandon the old fave, my MP-99. I will also try a higher tension, 26lbs sounds good, is there any particular string you guys think I should use on this particular racket? Although it is highest rated in the Yonex Stringing reviews, I am not a fan of the BG-88Ti due to the terrible durability, what do you think?
    Not sure if higher tension can solve the problem or not. Since MP100 is already stiffer than MP99, I would consider lower the tension by 10% on MP100 1st, to get used to the racket. Therefore, if u use MP99 with 28lb, then, 26lb could be ok. However, if the other way around, then, I think it might screw u up even more.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Liverpool, UK
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks again for the help, I think I'll use the racket for about a month or so, by that time the tension will have dropped (if the string hasn't snapped), after that period of time I'll up the tension and give that whirl, hopefully I should be more used to the racket by then and will have experienced a range of strings and tensions and will be able to decipher whether or not the racket is for me.

    If any of you think this is the wrong thing to do and a total waste of time please let me know! I would be interested to see what string and tension the other 2U MP-100 users have

    Cheers
    Jay

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i reccomend using thin strings for MP100. please note that MP100 and MP99 are different rackets. it is true that the MP100 has more power than MP99 but since u have been using the mp99 ,more power is not what you're use to. please give it time, most people underestimate this racket.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. performing a group at perlis...
    By kakismash in forum Malaysia
    Replies: 4
    : 06-30-2011, 11:02 PM
  2. Not Performing Enough Drop Shots
    By BrioCloud in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 3
    : 02-14-2010, 02:56 PM
  3. Replies: 20
    : 01-01-2005, 06:08 AM
  4. Pain in wrist performing backhand?
    By BethuneGuy in forum Injuries
    Replies: 1
    : 06-20-2004, 12:34 PM
  5. Malaysian shuttlers not performing
    By dave C in forum General Forum
    Replies: 7
    : 03-20-2001, 09:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •