Poor Performing MP-100??

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Jay Scott, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Jay Scott

Jay Scott Regular Member

Student
    Hi,
    I have recently purchased an MP-100 (2U), I usually use an MP-99 (3U), however I have always wanted an MP-100 and I read that the 2U version "packs more punch". I strung the MP-100 with BG-65 Power at 24lbs, and I have been using it for around 2 weeks now. However, the MP-100 seems like a very poor racket compared to the MP-99, I was wondering if I'm still not used to it or this is the sad truth. I have noticed the MP-99 is actually more powerful, with its 24lbs BG-88Ti, the control is much greater, the MP-99 is more precise, easier to handle and generally has more feel with most, if not all shots.
    Upon reading the equipment reviews on this website, I certainly didn't expect this result, maybe I am just not used to it yet, I have used it for around 15 - 20hrs, what do you think?
    All advice would be greatly appriciated!
    Thanks
    Jay

2. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

there is a multitude of factors here that you have changed, and each one will create the change even more difficult.
    you changed strings, you changed racquet balance and weight.
    so its either you haven't grown accustomed to the change in timing required, or a 2U mp100 is simply too heavy/headheavy of a racquet for your style.

3. J_M_V

J_M_V Regular Member

Sales
    It took me several weeks to get used to MP100 (after having used MP77). It is simply so unforgiving. Though my MP100 is 3U, as was my MP77. Now I'm trying to get familiar with AT800OFF 4U :eek: ... Anyway I'd say give the MP100 a few weeks, and if it still doesn't feel good then get back to MP99.

4. Jay Scott

Jay Scott Regular Member

Student
    Thanks guys, I'll just keep using it and using it, hopefully I should get used to it, the sooner the better :)

5. pb_aznstyle

pb_aznstyle Regular Member

I've got an mp100 2u as well. I've decided that it's way too heavy for me. Yes it is a powerhouse, but the power is only obtainable when you are setup nicely. It's great for doubles offense but i find for singels, i need a wristier feeling of a 3u racquet. Also, you are using bg 88-ti strings going to bg 65power. The difference is huge between those. The thinner/ ti bg 88 will feel so much better than the thick bg 65. All in all, i think that both your racquets are great and that you have a good arsenal for different ways of playing.

6. Noob848

Noob848 Regular Member

its probably because your not used to the weight distribution on the mp100

7. Jay Scott

Jay Scott Regular Member

Student
    Do you suggest I get rid of it and try a 3U version? or should I just keep trying and trying to make it work? :confused:

8. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Just keep using it. You will get used to it, and when you do, you'll discover what a great racquet it is. The MP99 is also a very good racquet so I don't think the MP100 will improve your game though.

9. Noob848

Noob848 Regular Member

You might want to fool around with the tension also, alot of ppl have sed that the mp100 needs 25-26lbs to start bringing out its potential so that maybe your problem

10. pb_aznstyle

Stringing it tighter will definitely give you more control and a sharper feel, BUT you need to have a solid stroke to get the best from the tension. IN the end, it will still be slower than a 3u. (not shuttle wise, like... swinging wise as in defense and wristy play)

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. ur MP100 is heavier

2. MP100 is stiffer

3. Power comes from the player's technique (i.e. swing / timing) but not the racket itself.

Usually, it takes players longer to adjust to a heavier/stiffer racket than the other way around. Keep trying for a bit longer, and hopefully u can get used to it. If not, time for "marketing place". :rolleyes:

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

*shrug*

This is what happens when you don't test out a racket.

From what you say, it sounds like the mp99 suits you better. Don't be deceived into thinking that the mp100 is a better racket just because 100 > 99 ;)

Use whichever one you prefer. That one is the better racket.

13. Jay Scott

Jay Scott Regular Member

Student
    Thanks alot for all of your help and advice ;), I'll take each and every post into consideration, I will keep using it, but I definately won't abandon the old fave, my MP-99. I will also try a higher tension, 26lbs sounds good, is there any particular string you guys think I should use on this particular racket? Although it is highest rated in the Yonex Stringing reviews, I am not a fan of the BG-88Ti due to the terrible durability, what do you think?

14. pb_aznstyle

Try bg68-ti. I love that string. It should be like the 88-ti but thincker, hence, more durable.

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Not sure if higher tension can solve the problem or not. Since MP100 is already stiffer than MP99, I would consider lower the tension by 10% on MP100 1st, to get used to the racket. Therefore, if u use MP99 with 28lb, then, 26lb could be ok. However, if the other way around, then, I think it might screw u up even more. :rolleyes:

16. Jay Scott

Jay Scott Regular Member

Student
    Thanks again for the help, I think I'll use the racket for about a month or so, by that time the tension will have dropped (if the string hasn't snapped), after that period of time I'll up the tension and give that whirl, hopefully I should be more used to the racket by then and will have experienced a range of strings and tensions and will be able to decipher whether or not the racket is for me.

If any of you think this is the wrong thing to do and a total waste of time please let me know! I would be interested to see what string and tension the other 2U MP-100 users have :rolleyes:

Cheers
    Jay

17. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Regular Member

Student
    i reccomend using thin strings for MP100. please note that MP100 and MP99 are different rackets. it is true that the MP100 has more power than MP99 but since u have been using the mp99 ,more power is not what you're use to. please give it time, most people underestimate this racket.

18. Jay Scott

Jay Scott Regular Member

Student
    Would you guys recommend BG-80, I can get hold of that pretty easily and cheaply? :confused:

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    It's definitely worth a shot. You are not going to lose anything on this attempt: if u don't like it, cut it, and use something else. ;)

20. pb_aznstyle

I used bg85 on mine at 23lbs once, it didn't last very long and it lost it's tension quick, but it was a nice sharp explosive hit when i had it. Alos keep in mind that 85 is thinner thn 80 but close to the same string still.