User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 35 to 51 of 103
  1. #35
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Trinidad & Tobago / Calgary
    Posts
    1,579
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    Well, PG66 is 0.66mm, which is very fine. Don't expect much durability.
    that is true but i would have expected them to last longer than that, 1st game was only half an hour and 2nd was only 15minutes in before they broke, i didnt use them prior to that day, only other time they were used was to warm up before tournament for maby 5 minutes and then 3 minute warm ups on court, so in total only about 56minutes they were good for...oh well went with a thicker string this time .73mm so it should have more durability.

  2. #36
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    445
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    I've never seen the "black pattern" but PG65 is hard to string because of the PFT (Power Filament Technology), the string likes to twist at the fourth and fifth (from the top) cross strings.
    I mean the black cross-hatching, which i found makes it hard to spot weaving mistakes

  3. #37
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    237
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Has anyone used MicroLegendXL, MicroPowerXL, and PowerGut65 to be able to rank these strings in terms of power/repulsion and at what tension ? Subjectives views are most welcome.

  4. #38
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,158
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smash_master
    that is true but i would have expected them to last longer than that
    Well, you are the smash master.

  5. #39
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,158
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fast3r
    I mean the black cross-hatching, which i found makes it hard to spot weaving mistakes
    Oh OK, I purchased a reel of the PG66 in orange and the PFT is white, you can barely discern it.

  6. #40
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Herts, UK
    Posts
    123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    anyone here tried the powergut 65 and 66 yet?
    It has this power filament helically wrapping around core string
    http://www.ashawayusa.com/
    I've got an AT800DE with BG80 and another AT800DE with PG65. Must say I prefer the PG65. Repulsion seems better than the BG80 and is less slippery. Haven't snapped any strings yet, so seems quite durable.

  7. #41
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,158
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j_e_thompson
    I've got an AT800DE with BG80 and another AT800DE with PG65. Must say I prefer the PG65. Repulsion seems better than the BG80 and is less slippery. Haven't snapped any strings yet, so seems quite durable.
    I concur with these findings...so far. I mentioned I purchased PG66 but that was a typo, I actually purchased PG65.

    PG65 is the "grabbiest" string I've tried so far. Also, I feel the repulsion is on par, if not better than BG80. So far it's durable for me but two other people I gave the string to for testing already broke the string on the 1st day (due to mishits) and don't normally break strings so more time and testing is needed.

    Will keep you all posted.

  8. #42
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    445
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't agree that BG80 is more slippery. BG80 is one of the most textured strings out there, thats what i like about it. Repulsion of the PG65 was ok but nothing special. Overall not one of my favourite strings.

    BTW, Mr. Dinkalot where did you find the PGs with white PFT, I am very interested to know.

  9. #43
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,158
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fast3r
    I don't agree that BG80 is more slippery. BG80 is one of the most textured strings out there, thats what i like about it. Repulsion of the PG65 was ok but nothing special. Overall not one of my favourite strings.

    BTW, Mr. Dinkalot where did you find the PGs with white PFT, I am very interested to know.
    Faster: I believe we are talking about different string. The PG65 I purchased, neon orange, has way more texture and is definitely grippier than BG80. This is just fact. No one said BG80 was slippery because it is not. It is as you said, one of the most textured strings out there but compared to PG65, BG80 is more slippery.

    Also with respect to repulsion, my neon orange PG65 is definitely on par with BG80. I've had four other people who play with BG80 say the same thing.

    Of course everything is relative and YMMV.

  10. #44
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In France, at East.
    Posts
    111
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    MICRO-LEGEND

    I've been playing for this string for about 4-6 months. All i can say is power, control, and feel are excellent. (only medium for net play, certainly due to an oily coat ...)

    The only disadvantage of this string is >>> It looses tension TOO fastly You have to restring within 3-4 weeks, otherelse you won't keep the hard feeling while smashing -and clearing of course-

    That's maybe i string at 21X23 ... i should try to increase the tension until 23X25 maybe ...

    I 've only broken the string once, cos a grommet was defectual ... I 've just shooted 8 times and it brokes The stringer didn't check before stringing But nothing to say about the durability. I have a friend that used to play for 1 or 2 months, and he only needs to restring because of the loosening tension

    definitively i recommand to string at 2 lbs more that you used to do before with any other string in order to prevent loosening !!! (the only disadvantage is the string break just a little faster ...)

    MICRO-LEGEND XL

    For the moment, that's one of the best string i've ever played with ... in term of power and control, it's about the same that Micro-legend, it's even less oily, moreover it retained tension longer I used to string at 23X23 ...
    I've only noticed that net play wasn't as funny as micro-legend or micro-power, but you can get used to that in a short couple of time

    MICRO-POWER

    I'm presently testing this string. For the moment, sound at 21X23 is a bit more crispy and stiff that micro-legend at 21X23, control and power are similar, HOWEVER micro-power retained tension a bit longer than Micro-legend Net play is awful too ...

    But i've heard from friend that, even if it retained the tension quite long and even if it doesn't need to be as much tensionned as micro-legend, the string does not last as long !!! you have to make a choice between the two in my opinion !!! (i ve got a little preference for micro-power IMO )




    I haven't tried any other Ashaway strings except Flex 21 so far. I'd hope to try the news PG strings soon in order to compare If you have any good website where i may buy those strings ...

  11. #45
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    237
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks for a very good review. I'll stick with MicroLegendXL for now. The difference between that and MicroPower is too small for me to want to spend money and try out the latter. I hope you will try the PG66/65 and give us your views soon.

  12. #46
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    585
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hmm, im REALLY interested in the PG 66 & PG 65.......can some1 compare this two string wif yonex string

    thx alot!!

  13. #47
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,158
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Update on PG65: hmmmmm, weird. PG65 seems to play better on some rackets than others. It's played very well on an AT800-DE, Woven 8, RSL X-1, and DHS Top VS3000 but has not played as well on my Woven 9. I'm wondering what's going on. I will try the Woven 9 with PG65 again and see what the deal is...so weird.

  14. #48
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Lymm, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,287
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CoolDoob
    Thanks for a very good review. I'll stick with MicroLegendXL for now. The difference between that and MicroPower is too small for me to want to spend money and try out the latter. I hope you will try the PG66/65 and give us your views soon.
    Mmmm MicroLegend XL does rock.. i've tried MicroPower as well and certainly prefer MicroLegendXL - the control shots are far better..

    Coops

  15. #49
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In France, at East.
    Posts
    111
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I must add that Micro-Legend XL needs to be used by a quite high level player.
    You need to shoot at the sweep spot !!!
    In the opposite case, mis-hits particularly, repulsion is too bad and you cannot push the shuttel very far

    For me, Micro-legend is a bit better (have a look with the top ). the own problem remain the durability.
    But it lasts long anyway (have a look with the top)

    I'm gonna try PG 65 and 66 quite soon ... (i just need to order them to a friend ) I hope i'll be able to write you a review soon
    Last edited by Chilefeu; 01-24-2006 at 02:32 PM.

  16. #50
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In France, at East.
    Posts
    111
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilefeu
    MICRO-LEGEND

    I've been playing for this string for about 4-6 months. All i can say is power, control, and feel are excellent. (only medium for net play, certainly due to an oily coat ...)

    The only disadvantage of this string is >>> It looses tension TOO fastly You have to restring within 3-4 weeks, otherelse you won't keep the hard feeling while smashing -and clearing of course-

    That's maybe i string at 21X23 ... i should try to increase the tension until 23X25 maybe ...

    I 've only broken the string once, cos a grommet was defectual ... I 've just shooted 8 times and it brokes The stringer didn't check before stringing But nothing to say about the durability. I have a friend that used to play for 1 or 2 months, and he only needs to restring because of the loosening tension

    definitively i recommand to string at 2 lbs more that you used to do before with any other string in order to prevent loosening !!! (the only disadvantage is the string break just a little faster ...)

    MICRO-LEGEND XL

    For the moment, that's one of the best string i've ever played with ... in term of power and control, it's about the same that Micro-legend, it's even less oily, moreover it retained tension longer I used to string at 23X23 ...
    I've only noticed that net play wasn't as funny as micro-legend or micro-power, but you can get used to that in a short couple of time

    MICRO-POWER

    I'm presently testing this string. For the moment, sound at 21X23 is a bit more crispy and stiff that micro-legend at 21X23, control and power are similar, HOWEVER micro-power retained tension a bit longer than Micro-legend Net play is awful too ...

    But i've heard from friend that, even if it retained the tension quite long and even if it doesn't need to be as much tensionned as micro-legend, the string does not last as long !!! you have to make a choice between the two in my opinion !!! (i ve got a little preference for micro-power IMO )

    I haven't tried any other Ashaway strings except Flex 21 so far. I'd hope to try the news PG strings soon in order to compare If you have any good website where i may buy those strings ...
    As i promised, this is my review about PG 65 strings, that i've ordered from the USA (thanks Jayes )

    As i don't use Micro-power anymore, (I used a 0.66 version but durability is so-so beyond 22 lbs if you hit hard) i can only compare this PG 65 string with Micro-legend.

    PG 65

    Well, this string really surprised me. (strung on At-500/MP 99 at 23 lbs) At the beginning, i thought it would be hard to play with, because of it's thickness (0.70 vs 0.66 ad 0.69).
    But after several shoot with feather and Plastik, i can immediatly tell you the playability of this string is definitively on par if not better than ML.
    The power is about the same, Durability is certainly better cos of the thicker gauje, and control is very close to ML.

    Control at the net is very surprising too. Indeed, you think you lack control when you don't hit the bird at the sweetspot or when it's flying to fast. Yet, you are able to push the shuttle in the court everytime, wherever you want to. Maybe thanks to the Power filaments which help to grip the shuttle ?

    To conclude, this string does not offer you a good feeling, it seems to absorb many sensations. Nevertheless, the playability is SuPeRb and really impressive. I would rate it 9/10 for its excellent all round performance and recommand it to everyone.



    I think i'll order any PG 66 soon in order to try it. It depends on DURABILITY of these. I should ask the other members of badmintoncentral community what they do think about this string
    Last edited by Chilefeu; 04-22-2006 at 07:16 AM.

  17. #51
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,158
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    A note about PG65, it comes in two versions: neon orange/green and power orange/green.

    The neon colors perform noticeably better than the power versions which last longer. You can tell the difference between the strings like this: the neon strings are just one solid color with a hint of white which is the PFT (Power Filament Technology) whereas the power strings have black PFT you can see very prominently. Also, the neon strings are thinner than the power strings. I have both and you can notice the differences I mentioned above distinctly.

    I contacted the Ashaway distributor about this and they said there should be no difference other than cosmetics but I and several others say there is a noticeable difference.

    Summary: if you want max performance from PG65, get the neon string. If you want more durability, get the power version of the string.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FS ashaway strings!
    By jerby in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 4
    : 11-10-2008, 11:33 AM
  2. Ashaway vs Yonex strings
    By Sgbad in forum Badminton String
    Replies: 185
    : 04-05-2008, 03:18 PM
  3. Ashaway strings from Mybadmintonstore
    By ilovedude in forum Badminton String
    Replies: 9
    : 07-29-2007, 01:40 AM
  4. Ashaway strings
    By other in forum Badminton String
    Replies: 0
    : 05-02-2004, 03:18 PM
  5. Ashaway strings for BK
    By bigredlemon in forum Badminton String
    Replies: 2
    : 10-04-2002, 09:50 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •