User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks a lot for these precisions Dink'

I've ordered PG 65 and it's the Power Green version. WoW ... This string performs so good already, i don't dare to think what would playability be with the Neon version

Anyway, Between Micro-legend, BG-80 and PG 65 NEON, would you tell us which one is the most durable ? the most playable ?
    You told me a long time ago "you feel more confident for net shots and control with Micro-legend; compared with PG 65". Well, did you compare Micro-legend with PG 65 NEON or PG 65 POWER ?

I will order any PG 65 from the USA again. But this time, i'd like to order the right string that suit me the best.

Thanks a lot for your help Dink' These strings are excellent but we just lack informations about 'hem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chilefeu
    As i don't use Micro-power anymore, (I used a 0.66 version but durability is so-so beyond 22 lbs if you hit hard) i can only compare this PG 65 string with Micro-legend.
    Just a small observation: Current Ashaway Micropower is 0.70mm thickness. A few customers that were die hard Yonex BG 65 users really like the Micropower more once their rackets were strung with Micropower.

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jayes
    Just a small observation: Current Ashaway Micropower is 0.70mm thickness. A few customers that were die hard Yonex BG 65 users really like the Micropower more once their rackets were strung with Micropower.

Cheers.
    Nop I've ordered a Micro-power from ASIA, thanks to a member of badmintoncentral community (i can give you his name by PM) He told me it was 0.66 mm, moreover, i mesured with a caliper and compared to ML 0.69 >>> It's definitively thinner !

We do not own the same strings, depending on the continent we live in !

I was fully satisfied by this string until it broke Presently, i play with 0.69/0.70 mm gauje strings. A lot more durable and playability remain good as well

I really wait for the review & help of Dink', i just hope he will answer us cos he tried a lot of strings at different tension so far. And, he is certainly willing to help us

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Neon version is definitely better. It is a crisper string, better touch and feel, also more repulsive. The shuttle comes off the racket face faster.

I can't say for certain which is more durable among the three strings you mentioned as I just started playing PG65. I will say ML is going to be the least durable with PG65 Power or BG80 being the most durable. The most playable would probably be the PG65 Neon and ML by a small margin.

Overall, BG80 is hard to beat. I have to use more sets of PG65 Neon to see if it can hold up. I really like the ML but it's just not durable for me.

In conclusion, I feel we are splitting hairs. All the strings mentioned are good to excellent performing. Each has its own characteristics. Best to test each one and see which one you prefer. For me, best estimate, it goes like this:

Durability:
    1) PG65 Power
    2) BG80 (close 2nd)
    3) PG65 Neon
    4) ML (a distant 4th)

Repulsiveness/Power:
    1) ML
    2) PG65 Neon (close 2nd)
    3) BG80 (close 3rd)
    4) PG65 Power

Feel:
    1) ML
    2) PG65 Neon (close 2nd)
    3) BG80 (close 3rd)
    4) PG65 Power

Overall:
    1) BG80
    2) PG65 Neon (Close 2nd)
    3) PG65 Power
    4) ML

Thanks a lot for these precisions Dink'

I've ordered PG 65 and it's the Power Green version. WoW ... This string performs so good already, i don't dare to think what would playability be with the Neon version

Anyway, Between Micro-legend, BG-80 and PG 65 NEON, would you tell us which one is the most durable ? the most playable ?
    You told me a long time ago "you feel more confident for net shots and control with Micro-legend; compared with PG 65". Well, did you compare Micro-legend with PG 65 NEON or PG 65 POWER ?

I will order any PG 65 from the USA again. But this time, i'd like to order the right string that suit me the best.

Thanks a lot for your help Dink' These strings are excellent but we just lack informations about 'hem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jayes: how does MP compare to PG65 Neon? Thanks.

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    Durability:
    1) PG65 Power
    2) BG80 (close 2nd)
    3) PG65 Neon
    4) ML (a distant 4th)

Repulsiveness/Power:
    1) ML
    2) PG65 Neon (close 2nd)
    3) BG80 (close 3rd)
    4) PG65 Power

Feel:
    1) ML
    2) PG65 Neon (close 2nd)
    3) BG80 (close 3rd)
    4) PG65 Power
    Since the only downside for you on ML is the durability, perhaps you aught to try the MLXL. This string will undoubtedly make number 1 on your durability rank. MLXL gives me so much power that, I am not actively looking for anything more repulsive. Maybe it can do the same for you ?

I have looked at the spec for PG65 and I get the feeling that it can potentially be more repulsive than ML(XL). PG65 has a max tension of 35LBs compred to ML(XL)'s 33LBs. This suggests to me it has a greater elasticity potential. Maybe you need to vary your usual tension by 0.5Lb to get the best out of this string ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jayes: how does MP compare to PG65 Neon? Thanks.
    DinkAlot,

I find that PowerGut 65 (PG 65) has better durabilty than Micropower (MP). However, for playability, the MP is better than PG65. Cost-wise, they cost about the same. I will not recommend using Micropower for nylon/plastic shuttle. Overall, I prefer the PG65 than the MP.

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoolDoo6
    Since the only downside for you on ML is the durability, perhaps you aught to try the MLXL. This string will undoubtedly make number 1 on your durability rank. MLXL gives me so much power that, I am not actively looking for anything more repulsive. Maybe it can do the same for you ?

I have looked at the spec for PG65 and I get the feeling that it can potentially be more repulsive than ML(XL). PG65 has a max tension of 35LBs compred to ML(XL)'s 33LBs. This suggests to me it has a greater elasticity potential. Maybe you need to vary your usual tension by 0.5Lb to get the best out of this string ?
    ML XL is evidently more durable and retain tension longer.
    But touch, net shots, FEEL, are a bit worse compared to ML. It seems to have less power too; but this is my opinion. (i've tried this string at 23 lbs as well as Microlegend at 23 lbs)

For me, it performs a bit more in term of power, and feel than PG 65 POWER, but control at the net is worse; cos PG 65 grips the shuttle everyshoots for an excellent control
    Have a look below for my estimations ...

DinkAlot,

I find that PowerGut 65 (PG 65) has better durabilty than Micropower (MP). However, for playability, the MP is better than PG65. Cost-wise, they cost about the same. I will not recommend using Micropower for nylon/plastic shuttle. Overall, I prefer the PG65 than the MP.

Cheers.
    I agree about the durability, and even about playability, i prefer PG 65.
    Even MP 0.70 mm strung at 22 lbs, don't last long enough. (i had a 0.66 and it lasted me 2 week and Yet, i didn't play so much in these 2 weeks ...)
    Feel is not as crisp as ML too. This string LACK feel really.

"for playability,The MP is better than PG 65". Well, Jonah, did you compare this MP with PG 65 POWER or NEON ? It's not the same string unfortunately.
    To conclude, i'd rather say PG 65 POWER is similar to MP, except MP lacks durability.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Dink' for your complete review. It's a great help for us.
    This is my estimations about all these strings (i don't take BG 80 in account cos i havent played with it for at least ... 1 year ? Ashaway products perform equal if not better so i didn't restring with BG 80 ...)
    I totally agree with your "estimations". I'm just gonna add ML XL above your classification :

Durability:
    1) PG65 Power
    2) Microlegend XL (close 2nd)
    3) BG80 (close 3nd) (WoW for a 0.68 mm it seems to last long )
    4) PG65 Neon
    5) MicroLegend (a distant 5th)

Repulsiveness/Power:
    1) Microlegend
    2) PG65 Neon (close 2nd)
    3) BG80 (close 3rd)
    4) Microlegend XL (close 4rd)
    5) PG65 Power

Feel:
    1) Microlegend
    2) PG65 Neon (close 2nd)
    3) BG80 (close 3rd)
    4) Microlegend XL >>>>> good feel but average control (at net)
    5) PG65 Power>> good control (at net) but average feel.

Overall:
    1) BG80
    2) PG65 Neon (Close 2nd)
    3) Microlegend XL
    4) PG65 Power
    5) Microlegend

I could rate MP but it's 0.66 MM that i've tried; and as we know, strings perform differently depending on their thickness.

I hope all my explanations are understandable/comprehensible. Hope this help but like Dink' alot said : "we are splitting hairs" cos it depends on your personnal likings too. Another person will not rate the same strings by the way i rated them. IMO, you should try the string to have your own idea of which one suit you the best ... Indeed,All is relative.
    Last edited by Chilefeu; 04-23-2006 at 03:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UPDATE: I have been hitting PG65 Power for a bit now and I have to say it's pretty darn good.

Initially, it didn't perform nearly as well as the Neon but after breaking through the black twists/coating, Powers feel just as repulsive and good as Neon.

My informal conclusion, the black twisting strands on Power is for durability and acts like a type of coating. Once you break the twist/coating, the Power string is essentially the same as the Neon.

I'm now very happy with the Neon. Let's just see how long it lasts...and oh, it took me about 3 days to break into the coating on the Power.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"for playability,The MP is better than PG 65". Well, Jonah, did you compare this MP with PG 65 POWER or NEON ? It's not the same string unfortunately.
    To conclude, i'd rather say PG 65 POWER is similar to MP, except MP lacks durability.
    Unlike DinkAlot, I do not find significant difference between PG 65 Power and Neon. So, to me PG Power and Neon are the same.

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unlike DinkAlot, I do not find significant difference between PG 65 Power and Neon. So, to me PG Power and Neon are the same.

Cheers.
    Jayes: if you read my updated post above, you'll see that once I broke in the Power, it feels very similar to the same as the Neon. The Neon requires very little (if any break-in) period while the Power required a 2-3 days for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ML XL is evidently more durable and retain tension longer.
    But touch, net shots, FEEL, are a bit worse compared to ML. It seems to have less power too; but this is my opinion. (i've tried this string at 23 lbs as well as Microlegend at 23 lbs)
    If you want the MLXL to feel similar to ML you have to tension it higher because it is a thicker string.

Try 23LB / 0.69mm * 0.73mm = 24.33LB

One thing I notice people do is that once they found the right tension for a particular string, they would use the same tension for every other string. This simply isn't ideal as the same tension has different effects on different strings.

For ML and MLXL, working out the equivalent tension is easy as the 2 strings are essentially the same and the only variable is the thickness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I notice people do is that once they found the right tension for a particular string, they would use the same tension for every other string. This simply isn't ideal as the same tension has different effects on different strings.
    Agree, that's why I play around with the string tension, until I feel I get the optimum or near optimum performance. Also remember that if you are stringing different rackets, that can change the string's optimum tension as well. For instance, I usually go with lower string tension on extra stiff 2U rackets and higher string tension on 4U rackets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed, the ideal tension is affected by numerous factors. The only way to find out what is perfect is to try it and play it. I have gotten to a point of being able to instantly tell if someone has the right tension/string on his racket just by watching him play a few points. I am happy to report many of my opponents do not use optimum configuration, and they do not have the skills to compensate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jayes: if you read my updated post above, you'll see that once I broke in the Power, it feels very similar to the same as the Neon. The Neon requires very little (if any break-in) period while the Power required a 2-3 days for me.
    DinkAlot: I guess I "broke" the PG65 Power much faster than you to be noticable then.

To the readers, my suggestion is to try the strings which ever works for you. These reviews are only from the reviewers perspective. They may not even agree to your own experience. There are many factors involve: tension, technique, power, etc.

Allow me to go a little off topic from the OP: I agree with CoolDoo6, ie tension is not static. It is just a reference number. Personally, even with the same string, I experiment with tension; I might be off for a certain period. That is why I do not advocate either on high tension or low tension.

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all,

I still have 1 detail i''d like to share with you. It's about ML.
    - Why do this string looses tension as quickly ???
    I asked my stringer to pre-strecht it an yet, i was at 23 lbs on my 2 carlton Lite & Superlite and i might be at 21 lbs now, if not lower ...
    Because of this, i think i'm gonna come back to BG-80 or stick with PG 65 ...

Ml is really a good string to use. But there are many drawbacks such as loosening tension, string breaking that force me to change presently.

As for PG 65 Power, it hasn't loses much tension so far, so i'm pretty happy with the performance IMO this string is one of the best i've ever tried -it must not be the best cos i haven't tried the Neon yet-.

I just need to test the Neon version to definitively stick either with Bg-80 Or PG 65 Neon
    Last edited by Chilefeu; 05-02-2006 at 07:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am happy to report many of my opponents do not use optimum configuration, and they do not have the skills to compensate.
    oeh. now I'm curious. hwo do you see that?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast