User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use Ashaway Micro Power, and I haven't had many problems with it yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No, it's a joke directed at Cooldoo6.

Quote Originally Posted by Infernus
    I use Ashaway Micro Power, and I haven't had many problems with it yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah, deep as in deeper than the Mariana Trench .

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    Applying WD40 to the string on your racket? Man, you've gone off the deep end.
    Last edited by Pete LSD; 05-16-2006 at 02:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    Applying WD40 to the string on your racket? Man, you've gone off the deep end.
    I was at the time prospecting power from my equipment having been told none was to be had from where I looked, which made me more determined. No stone was left unturned.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoolDoo6
    I was at the time prospecting power from my equipment having been told none was to be had from where I looked, which made me more determined. No stone was left unturned.
    LOL! You are in the quest for constantly more power. My double's partner and I are constantly in the quest for more control. I just re-string all my partner's rackets and upped the tension to 28/31lbs. because with 26/29lbs., he was hitting everything just long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was questing for power. But not so frantic now as too many of my shots go out. I know I can up the tension to reduce the chance of that happening but I am trying to control the distance through skill instead. Reducing the distance through tension also reduce the smashing power and/or/xor endurance. For now I like to maximise smashing power and endurance at the risk of having shots going out. The extra distance also comes in handy on those times when you are tired.
    Last edited by CoolDoo6; 05-16-2006 at 06:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there!

I'm new in this forum. And I would just like to share my experience with Ashaway strings.

I've been playing the game for almost 2 years and I consider my level as C+. I've tried various strings available such as Yonex BG65, BG68Ti, BG65Ti, BG80, BG85, Gosen Pro 66, Ashaway Microlegend XL, Ashaway Micropower, Ashaway Powergut 65 and Ashaway Powergut 66.

Of all the strings, I prefer Ashaway PG65, then PG66, Yonex BG80 and Gosen Pro 66, in that order. These strings for me provide power and control when needed. Of course that is if your stroke is right. And all my rackets are strung at 27/29.5 lbs, 2 knots. Durability wise, I haven't broken my strings during a game so far. But I usually have my rackets restrung after 3 to 4 months because by that time I feel the tension has gone down by about 3 to 4 lbs (subjective feel only).

With regards to Ashaway Micolegend XL, this string really moves a lot initially and it could not withstand the tension I'm currently using while my racket is in the process of stringing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by CoolDoo6
    MLXL does indeed move around. I wonder if that's what gives it the power as the string can freely stretch and contract with reduced hinderance/friction compared to other strings. I deduce this from an experiment involving applying WD40 lubricant to the string and observing the string giving extra power for a few shots until the lubricant is slung off the string.

I have been using a set of MLXL for almost 6 months, and there's no sign of the crosses cutting into the mains. I had to adjust the string after every rally cos of the string movement. Though this is a little tedious, I have been willing to over look the problem as I don't know a better string for power.

I have been thinking about switching to PowerGut 65 because that offers better grip, and presumably less movement. When I enquired the price, it turned out that PG65 was 33% cheaper than MLXL. I asked why, and I was told that MLXL was considered a better string. Now my plans for PG65 is on hold until I read more comments by people who have tried it.
    100 % agree with what you said
    I can assure you PG 65 POWER moves less ... but it moves a little anyway
    Nevertheless it grips the shuttle really well ...
    I tried ML XL at 23 lbs and PG 65 POWER at 23 LBS ...
    I'll receive any PG 65 NEON within the end of this week, i'll give you my review on it. Hope it will not move at all

Anyway, If ML move, either it's normal, or it's not quite tightened enough ? I donno.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_E6
    Hi there !!!
    With regards to Ashaway Microlegend XL, this string really moves a lot initially and it could not withstand the tension I'm currently using while my racket is in the process of stringing.
    Here again, I 100 % agree .
    Either this string breaks during the process of stringing and also very quickly during the game, (Higher tension)
    Or It doesn't break but it moves too much. (Lower tension)

I'd rather play with PG 65 now that i've taken notice of its great all-round performance over the time ...

Between PG 65 and ML, i'd say it depends on personnal preference, IMO.
    A compromise need to be find between the following factors : Durability, The retaining tension over the time, max tension, Power, grip, control/feel ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well... i did it.. i've been playign with ashaway microlegend xl for abotu 2/3 seasons.. i play 3/4 times a week, strung to 28/26 tension.. i finally broke a string in the middle.. it was a clean hit.. just a simple break.

i'm almost proud.. whats hilarious is that it was on a punch clear, not a smash :s

good thing it's the off season.

Coops

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    I tried the powergut 65 recently. I really disliked it Seemed "dead", almost like the feeling of a string that's lost it's tension.

I'm now switching back to Yonex because the Ashaway strings are not so widely available and expensive.

I just bought a 200m reel of mp for 45 and the BG80 is 89.99 for 200m

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i got introduced to ashaway string from winning dinkalot's contest
    I've tried MP and PG65.
    I think pg65 is to compete with yonex's bg65 which i havent used the latter for many years. To make a fair comparison, i will fix the tension at 25lbs

pg65 vs bg65/65ti

when fresh, bg65 have a bit more repulsion BUT only when it's fresh, this string lose tension too fast. Here is where pg65 make its gain, it doesnt lose tension as fast nor as much. PG65 is grippier. Long term durability bg65 wins but at a cost of substantial tension lost which to most stronger players, they would cut it long before that. My pg65 at 25 lbs lasted 2.5 months, after frens invited me to play plastics (after 2 mths of feathers) and i mishit it at the top of AT800, a well known weak spot. This is just a brief review

MP, i havent play enough of it to judge but it is a thinner string and initial impressive is very good to me.
    Last edited by cooler; 02-13-2008 at 01:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i only have ashaway durakill66 here. think its the older version i guess. its compatible to bg66. works fine and cheaper than yonex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tried MP at 25lbs on the chao pai racket I picked up from Dinkalot. Lasted all of 1 hr of play. There were some miss hits, since it was my first time playing with this racket. Not sure if this is typical, but I would rate that pretty poorly for durability. By comparison, when I picked up my AT900P and NS900X, I had them strung with BG70pro and BG80 at 23lbs. Plenty of miss hits with both of these as I was still getting used to the rackets, and haven't had a break yet in over 2 months of play (2-4 times/week, ~2hrs each). Maybe it's the tension difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

try the powergut 66 (pg66) for tensions below 25lbs. the playability is superb!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RSLdude View Post
    try the powergut 66 (pg66) for tensions below 25lbs. the playability is superb!
    Did the PG66 at 25lbs last you a month playing with only feathers? Just wondering...of course how many times a week/duration will change the answer, but I'm just wondering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by azn_123 View Post
    Did the PG66 at 25lbs last you a month playing with only feathers? Just wondering...of course how many times a week/duration will change the answer, but I'm just wondering.
    it lasted 3 weeks with an average of 4 days a week of playing. strung mine at 26 (cross) x 24 (main). my friend advised me that the pg66 is not (really)designed for high tension so next time 25 or 24 lbs will do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im using PG66 at 28 lbs for almost a month now. I feel a bit of tension loss but it still plays great. I play at least 3 times a week (4 to 5 games each playing day). I also train twice a week using the same racket

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast