Is it normal to experience twinges in the arm

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by j, Jan 27, 2002.

1. j

j Guest

During playing?

I hit pretty hard. Sometimes it just goes over and I get a twinge (sharp pain) that lasts for a second, or if I hit a hard stroke out of position I get a twinge then too.

This doesn't last, my arms and shoulders feel fine after play.

2. slick

slick Guest

in my opinion j, it depends what part of the arm it occurs in. I like to extensively

stretch my wrist, shoulder,biceps,triceps etc. before playing and I still have

some soreness in arm mainly elbow and shoulder. I like to do rotator cuff

exercises to keep my strength in my shoulder up. I have found playing badminton

twice a night in winter and baseball twice a night in summer causes a lot of

wear and tear on my arm. Overall I'd say it's normal but from what I've read

in books, look after your rotator cuff muscles cause it's a hard area to rehab

if it gets injured.

3. j

j Guest

thanks for info!

4. Two Tents

Two Tents Guest

Perhaps you are too tense when you play. Make sure that your grip is very loose most of the time; it should automatically tighten (to about 1/2 your grip strength) when you accelerate the racket towards the shuttle. Before & after this acceleration phase of the stroke be sure to loosen the grip to keep the forearm relaxed. You also want to keep the shoulder & upper arm relaxed when hitting your strokes. Altho' ot may seem counter-intuitive, this relaxation should help you generate power ( a knid of efforltless power).

5. j

j Guest

Thanks for the advice (no message)

NM